Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What batteries for my Ultimate Advantage

Today I decided that the house batteries have finally given up. When I pulled out the tray and cleaned up the old batteries I was surprised to see they were Group 24 Interstate Deep Cycle.
I then looked at the Engine batteries and saw 3 Group 31.
Since I purchased the unit used I really did not know how the batteries were set up. I could only go by what was installed.
Checking Winnie's specification I see they call for 3 house batteries and 2 engine batteries.
Can any body tell me what the proper battery size is for the Coach
Thanks
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an Ultimate Freedom and have four six volt house batteries that replaced the three twelve volt batteries. I had to remove the slide out for them to fit but it was definitely worth it.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure your battery banks are not installed in reverse? I believe most Winnebago battery banks are 3 12volt deep cycle and 2 12volt starting.

My Meridian had 3 series 29 deep cycle and 2 series 31 starting. I changed the 3DS for 4 Trojan t105's. They fit in the tray set north to south. You can even use the original tie down system. You may need a couple of slightly longer leads.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 03 UA came with two Interstate Gp 31 Commercial batteries on chassis, and three Interstate SRM-29 Deep-cycle on house side. They are mounted in pull-out trays with the 2 chassis on the right and 3 house on the left when standing facing the battery compartment.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Paul for the information.
When purchasing used you find some things that are not as supplied by the manufacturer.
I wonder why the original owner used 3 group 31 for the engine and 3 Group 24 deep cycle for the coach. Guess I will never know.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have the same coach....and it sounds like someone changed the way the batteries are wired.

The configuration for my coach is 3 house batteries and 2 chassis (engine starting) batteries. I only use 2 6v (wired as 12v) on the house side, but we don't dry camp at all...so it's basically for on the road and the occasional WalMart overnighter.

You can use whatever deep cycle battery you want on the house side....but on the chassis side, Cummins recommends 1800 CCA or more to start the ISC.

I got 2 Grp 31 (950 CCA) commercial starting batteries from NAPA that give me 1900 CCA. The 2 6v house batteries are the golf cart batts from Sam's Club. Inexpensive and do the job.

The NAPA batteries (BAT 7236) were about $90 a piece...but I got them on sale.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

UA40J Thank you for the information. Do the 6 volt batteries fit on the roll out tray? We do not really dry camp and I am guessing 3 Group 27's will hold us overnight if required.
Did you have to make any changes to the inverter when you went to the 6 volt batteries.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 11-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The 2 6v fit fine. They are shorter and narrower than Grp 29, so you need to make sure they don't move around.

I use a 2x4 placed in the bottom of the tray to keep them from going side to side. Not much concern going front to back as they are almost the same width as the tray.

No changes to the inverter/charger which is defaulted to wet cell. The Sam's Club batteries I got are wet cell, not AGM. Duracell GC2 currently on sale for about $85.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I would also expect that three group 31s would fit on the house battery tray (that's what I have on my 2005 Vectra).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
UA40J Thank you for the information. Do the 6 volt batteries fit on the roll out tray? We do not really dry camp and I am guessing 3 Group 27's will hold us overnight if required.
Did you have to make any changes to the inverter when you went to the 6 volt batteries.
On mine, the four six volt batteries did not fit in the slide out tray that held the three twelve volts, so I had to remove the tray; and yes, I tried every configuration I could come up with cos the slide out tray was a great feature and I wished I could've kept it. No other changes were needed. After a year, as there's been no problems, I assume all is ok in the battery department. Oh, and I don't boondock except for the occasional rest area but there's been a definite improvement since the change.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Falcon190,

How do you keep the batteries from moving around?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

DepChief, We have four Trojan T 105 6v batteries mounted in the place of the OEM three 12v. They are on the slide out tray which was modified by cutting the tray into two pieces. Then added a 1.5" strip of metal welded into place. Redrilled mounting holes and voila, four Trojans on the slide out tray. I used mineral oil in the battery cells when installed about 6 years ago. I also installed "horse hair" filters in the battery compartment wall voids. Those two things keep the compartment clean and rust-free.
The chassis batteries are Optima 1000CCA blue top with DARK blue case on a slide out tray too.
Hope this helps you decide what's best for you.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I also altered my slide out battery tray by cutting in half and adding 2 each bars, front and back under the pull out lip (see black bolted bars in pics). After assuring I had enough clearance sides and top I determined I needed approximately 1 additional inch width so the tray would accommodate 4 each golf cart 6 volt batteries. I slotted the 8 tray to chassis hold down so the carriage bolts would line up with the wider tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0501.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	79249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0502.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	79250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0503.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	79251  
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Are you sure you pulled the right batteries?

There is no "Proper size" exactly but there are many options. Of those options a pair of Group 24's may be ok for starting but they are absolutly the worst choice for house

here are some numbers. But first a comment, a six volt GC-2 fits in the same tray as a Group 24, but it is taller. Also a bit heavier.

Group 24 each about 75 amp hours usually MARINE/Deep cycle
Group 27 Each about 95 amp hours and ditto
Group 29 Each about 105 amp hours and another ditto
Group 31 Each about 130 amp hours and another Ditto

4D 230 amp hours, can be gotten in Starting, Multi-use (Marine/Deep cycle) or real deep cycle

GC-2 Six volt but also 230 amp hours, and True Deep Cycle is the most common.
(The GC-2 weighs about half what the 4D weighs so it is way easier to handle, plus it is the single most common lead acid battery so it is less expensive (tooling costs) to produce.

DEEP cycle batteries do not mind being run down to half full
MARINE/deep cycle batteries do not LIKE to be run down that far since they are mostly starting batteries.

IF those two G-24s are the house, and you have the room, I would recommend going to two GC-2 Six volt in series, Put two of them in series and they become one big (4D) 12 volt.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

House batteries

On my 2000 UA 40J I would like to change over to the 4 Trojans and yes I would need to add width to the tray but what about the height as I measured and I don't see how I will install as 6 Volts are about one inch taller, also has anyone with a 40J installed driving lights where the fog lights go as I just can't get my enough light from headlight I did clean lenses and did go to a better bulb.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbethurum View Post
On my 2000 UA 40J I would like to change over to the 4 Trojans and yes I would need to add width to the tray but what about the height as I measured and I don't see how I will install as 6 Volts are about one inch taller, also has anyone with a 40J installed driving lights where the fog lights go as I just can't get my enough light from headlight I did clean lenses and did go to a better bulb.
On my Journey the height for GC batteries was close so I cut approximately 3/8" off the gusset above the tray and covered it with a piece of wire protector. Plenty of clearance now.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Apparently Winnebago changed the battery layout between my 2000 Ultimate Freedom and later years. Mine has 2 starting batteries on the rearward side of the battery compartment, and 3 house batteries on the forward side of the compartment. I did have all Interstate batteries, but now I have 3 Exide true deep cycle batteries @ 200AH each for house batteries. We spent last winter at Sigsbee NAS RV park, and dry camped a total of 6 weeks. We would run the genset 1 hour. each morning for cooking, recharging the coach batteries and our battery powered "toys". Then 2 hours at night to do the same and watch TV before bedtime.

If you are not going to dry camp more than that you are spending money and energy for nothing IMO by switching to 6V batteries.
Keep in mind it takes 2-6V batteries to make one 12V, but the amperage remains the same as one 6V battery. With 12V batteries amperage multiplies X the number of batteries. I have 600AH of batteries- only half is usable, so I have 300AH to use before recharging. If that got me through 6 weeks of dry camping, why change? Why spend the money to do so?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
KIX
Winnebago Master

And Ray, how much would each of those 12v house batteries cost to replace today?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
KIX
Winnebago Master

Here's a sales brochure for a 2002 Ultimate. The size of the house batteries is not available in the brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UA Brochure Specs.pdf (119.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
And Ray, how much would each of those 12v house batteries cost to replace today?
$152 ea. X 3 = $456
What would 6 6V batteries + the battery cable and clamps/terminals and tools to make up the finished cables + labor to make up the cables and modify the compartment, cost? We all know that work and materials would have to be accomplished in order to switch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries