Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

warming engine

my question is can i run my engine, 8.1 gm, to warm up while it is still hooked to shore power? We are getting ready to leave MN for TX in January and it will probably be cold (this am it is -14f). I will need all the heat I can find for an hour before we leave.

thanks for your responses.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why not? I generally run the genset for several hours prior to our departure and have all the systems up and running. I also plug in a radiant heater up front to help warm it up. Running the main engine might help some, but I generally don't like to idle it for that long. An hour or so should not matter though.

At least have your engine heater operating to keep the engine warm prior to the startup.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Curious Crow here..... Up front.... I don't have your RV. But I do have a Class C right now.... and some years of experience.

Your Class A should have either a 35 or 40K BTU furnace according to the spec sheet. USE the furnace.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/04Adventurerbro.pdf

The hot tip would be to turn on the LP furnace rather than run the gas sucking V-8. You got lots more BTU in the furnace and the air distribution system will warm the entire coach. You need BTU and air re-circulation right away and not 30 minutes after starting the engine.

Also a heat pump (unspecified size).... but it won't work below 40F very well or not at all. But you know that....

If you have shore power, you could set up a small 1500W ceramic box heater. Just a small one will heat a pretty big space.

Running the 8.1 L engine just burns fuel at a prodigious rate and produces a lot of CO (which may be a hazard while sitting still) and it's not going to warm the entire coach if that's what you are intending to do.

I'm not a fan of 'warming' an engine. You want the engine and transmission to warm up together.... along with all the other turning and spinning parts. Fire it up. Get your air pressures up and as soon as it will take a load move off gently. Gets up to operating temperature faster.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes you can.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Engine warm up

I think some folks may have misunderstood your question.

I think that you were concerned about letting the engine warn up at idle while still connected to shore power. You won't hurt a thing, and it's better to have a warmed engine before loading.

In warmer weather I have ours warming up while the shore power is still on for the last few items before hitting the road. I'd rather use their power to run the roof AC than run my generator....
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

In cold weather I warm my engine for about five minutes, put in gear with foot on the brake for two. First few minutes on the road is slow and gentile.
And:
No, you won't hurt a thing for starting the engine while still hooked to shore power.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
In cold weather I warm my engine for about five minutes, put in gear with foot on the brake for two. First few minutes on the road is slow and gentile.
And:
No, you won't hurt a thing for starting the engine while still hooked to shore power.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!
ooops.........bad spelling strikes again

GENTLE,
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sure you can, BUT...remember to unplug your shore cord before pulling out!!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

Like others said, running the motor isn't a problem while connected to shore power. Warming up the motor is a good idea too, within reason to warm the motor, but it's not very efficient to heat your cabin space.

Presumably if you're connected to shore power, you should have your electric space heater running. If you don't have an electric space heater, it might be a good idea to consider one if camping in the cold at lot. It's the cheapest way to heat your RV, if you have hookups.

Generally speaking, using the engine to heat up cabin space isn't advised while stationary, from a cost point of view, but it's good practice to start the motor for 5min to get the motor warm for a trip.

After I have stowed away all objects inside for travel, I start the motor to pull in the slides and raise the jacks. Then while the motor is running, I walk around the rig checking all compartment doors, then stow the electric cord, and hoses if any are out. Sometimes I have to put the bicycles on the rack too. By the time I get back in the RV, the motor is warm and ready to drive, and off we go.

If we need more heat, beyond what the engine can put out in the beginning, I'll set my electric heater on low (750W) running off the inverter for 10 or 15min until the motor can maximize the heat, which eventually heats up good enough. With really cold climates like you mention, a 12V electric blanket for my wife helps mitigate a cold windshield cooling things down. She just drapes the blanket over her legs, sometimes over her shoulders if she's chilled. Eventually the defroster will warm the windshield and enough heat will be produced by the motor while you drive.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine