Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Voltage threshold for charging house battery

I resurrected a 1992 Winnebago Warrior that had been derelict for fourteen years. I had become convinced that the cranking system and alternator were totally separate from the house battery and shore power charging system. After installing a voltmeter that actually reads tenths, (instead of the useless one on the tank monitor that reads in whole volts) I happened to notice today, when the engine was running that the house battery was charging at 13.5 volts. Sometime later, when the engine was running again, the house battery was at 12.7, but the alternator was charging the cranking battery at 14.4 volts. Reading some of these threads, I infer that the alternator will begin charging the house battery when it reaches some low voltage threshold, and then return to charging the cranking battery when the house battery is more full charged. However, I haven't found any threads that actually mention the voltage values. I would like to verify that my system is working correctly, so I need to know what those are. Thanks in advance.
Bubblecuffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging