Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Voltage

I have a 2006 Winnebago 32t with a cummins 300hp engine. My problem at start up I get a voltage warning 13.6 v then I hear a relay try to engage then the voltage drops to 11.7. then it cycles back and forth about every 10 seconds, then it finally connects and stops. any ideas.
Stan
fenceman567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is the intake heater turning on and off, when the air reaches the correct temp it will
stay off.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Thanks me too

Wow, I wondered if I had the problem too until the followup answer. Mine relay similarly and drop way down then back up. After a about 10 minutes all is good and the meter sits at 14 Volts.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That is the way it works when the outside air is below about 55 degrees F
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like a weak chassis battery or poor battery connections. My air intake pre-heater doesn't drag the battery down like that.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
nope - batteries are two big AGM fully charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Sounds like a weak chassis battery or poor battery connections. My air intake pre-heater doesn't drag the battery down like that.
I believe all is good. here are snips from other threads on the subject. My engine block heater is dead and I can start a zero degrees with no lag time.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/cycl...s-82555-2.html

My Cummins ECU keeps cycling the preheater after engine start until the engine is warm enough
On my CAT C7 I can actually hear the grid heater come on when I cycle the ignition key. And yes, it comes on more than once if you cycle the key. Just watch your battery gauge.

Dirk - When I owned my Cummins 5.9 ISB, it too would cycle more than once even after the engine started. Again, watch your battery gauge.

there is a temperature sensor in the system which if the ambient temperature is warm outside precludes the grid heater from coming on. Not needed.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceman567 View Post
I have a 2006 Winnebago 32t with a cummins 300hp engine. My problem at start up I get a voltage warning 13.6 v then I hear a relay try to engage then the voltage drops to 11.7. then it cycles back and forth about every 10 seconds, then it finally connects and stops. any ideas.
Stan
:welcome: Stan. I think we missed the fact that you are new here.

I like the answers so far because I get the same indications. My coach is relatively new to me. I am still wondering about the start batteries. There could be a failing cell in the string or just a weak battery. Haven't taken the time to investigate yet because I always start and the alarm clears. I sometimes wonder about the voltage regulator.

Hope you find the answer.

Rick
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Another thing that can cause that on some systems is low/dead house batteries....... The Isolator connects, the voltage drops and the isolator drops out, On my gasser this can happen 3-5 times if the house is truly needy. NOTE: I mean DEAD on the house batteries.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Another thing that can cause that on some systems is low/dead house batteries....... The Isolator connects, the voltage drops and the isolator drops out, On my gasser this can happen 3-5 times if the house is truly needy. NOTE: I mean DEAD on the house batteries.
I am not certain why you would think the house battery is dead at any point in this discussion. A dead battery, house or start, is not a good place to be starting from. I agree that the isolator relay can cause problems. I had a situation with you last coach where the isolator failed to switch to the house battery while driving and the string went down. I had to replace the isolator to make things right again.

The indicator here in the DP is a voltage alarm at the dash info center. It comes and goes within the first few minutes of starting and then clears all together.

DW is up and ready for coffee. See yall later.

Rick
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The house batteries are fine. Thanks for the info though!!!
fenceman567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

It's normal on my C/7 as well. Living in Calif. It doesn't cycle more than once for a few seconds very often, but there was one year heading to Quartzsite that the overnight was about 16 degrees, and that sucker cycled for probably 3 minutes after the 45sec warmup to start. That's one of the reasons diesels have gigantic starting battery capacities. You can always drop an amp clamp on the battery and look at the draw and see how hard it's being worked if that'll ease your worries.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceman567 View Post
The house batteries are fine. Thanks for the info though!!!
You are welcome.

Jeff, in the post above mine, has a good point. All of the DP posts seem to agree that this is common. I had this happen in my last DP and was waiting for the alternator or regulator to croak. Seems that I was experiencing this 'catch up' thing happening and did not understand the alarm. when life is normal.