Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vista 3-port Solar Panel connection?

I just went up to the roof of the Vista yesterday. It came with only 1 solar panel, but there are 3 connectors, only one used. So I guess I could put another 2 panels up there. But I'm not sure the utility of that. As you still are dependent on the inverter for the power to the coach. So no Microwave, Refrigerator, or AC with the solar. And it seems to charge the battery very well with the single panel.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Sundog, I moved your question out of the "solar suitcase" thread into it's own thread. It's best to start a new thread when you have a question on a new topic.

Yes, you can add two more solar panels to your roof. It's easy and costs less than $250 to do so. I've done it and it's a great addition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Solar3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	175433

However, as you say you've got only 2-house batteries and a 1000w inverter. Luckily for me my RV came factory equipped with 4-house batteries and a 2,000w inverter.

The two extra panels would:
1. Keep your two house batteries charged up all the time in storage
2. Reduce your need to run the generator as long when dry camping

For the minimal cost and ease of DIYing this project it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Of course, if you want to go all out, add two more batteries and change out the inverter for a 2,000w unit and add the microwave to the inverter circuit. That would proabably add to your enjoyment of the RV but also cost another $1,500 - $2,000.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to see how much fun it is to mess with and upgrade the RV. My daughter and I just did a 7 day trip and most of it was "dry camping". The battery was fine for all except the Keurig coffee maker. I could've used the stove to heat water for the French Press, but that is quite messy to clean up.

We did some showers at family houses we were parked in front of. But had no water or dump for those 7 days. We ended up with empty Fresh water, nearly full grey and black water tanks. The one campground was at 8,000 ft in CO, and it was below freezing, so water and dump was closed.

I was quite impressed with the Vista's performance.

I will look at the addition of a couple of panels, and upgrade of the batteries and inverter.

I did the CHF for the front and it really made the 2400 mile drive much better.

San Francisco Bay Area
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Team

You can get a two pack of Renogy 100w solar panels for about $200 on Amazon and then you'll just need mounting brackets, wire and adapters for the MC4 connectors to convert them to Zamp style SAE connectors for the 3-port input.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr.../dp/B07JXYTFF7

If you haven't added a Steering Stabilizer to the Vista that would be a $1000 upgrade that I'd consider before your next trip. You'll be amazed and relieved by the changes it will make to driving longer distances daily. We have the Roadmaster RSS stabilizer and it works great. Many choose the SuperSteer brand as well. They cost about $500-$600 and installation is about $300-$400.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-RBK5-R...ista+Motorhome
Old 10-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The beauty of all this is that you don't need to do it all at once. You can add the panels now and deal with the batteries and inverter at a later date. Just make sure your current controller can handle the additional amps.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Just make sure your current controller can handle the additional amps.
WBGO usually installs a 30-amp Zamp or Xantrex controller in the Vista. If so, then he should be good for at least 400w.

They were installing all Zamp gear for quite a while on all Class A's. But on the C's and B's lately they've switched to all Xantrex. I'm not sure if they've changed on Class A's or not.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
WBGO usually installs a 30-amp Zamp or Xantrex controller in the Vista. If so, then he should be good for at least 400w.

They were installing all Zamp gear for quite a while on all Class A's. But on the C's and B's lately they've switched to all Xantrex. I'm not sure if they've changed on Class A's or not.
The Vista has a 30 amp Zamp unit. So the extra panels would just plug in and be integrated into the system.

San Francisco Bay Area
Old 11-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
Geric

What’s the chf you mentioned? Is it repositioning of the sway bar ? Thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
What’s the chf you mentioned? Is it repositioning of the sway bar ? Thanks
"Cheap Handling Fix" - Yes, repositioning of the rear links of a roll bar from the end of the bar to available holes closer to the front of the bar. In essence, increasing the spring rate of the roll bar.

It's taken on mythic status on RV Forums - fixing all manner of problems. Not really surprised that it comes up in a Solar thread or any other thread for that matter.