Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Various electrical issue

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I hope I have done everything correct... I just acquired a 2002 36' Winnie Journey with a cat diesel, and some various things... Now I bought this rig because I used to have a 34' safari gas, and I wanted a DP... so I looked at several, and chose this one, it had dead batteries, so I just bought all 5 new ones, then I started to touch things, and found that some items just didn't work, some of this is because it has new carpet and the installers made a mess of some stuff. Now there are some things that should work but dont... So I need help, but working in oracle support I believe in 1 problem at a time, so this thread is about my 3 vent fans, i.e. the bedroom, galley and shower vent... none of them work, the bathroom lid doesn't go up and down and none of the fans work, I removed the screen and the fan spins freely, and the fuses look good... I basically know nothing, but I can fix almost anything, I've seen the wiring diagrams, etc. And I have the manuals, but using my cell like this means its hard to chase lines... so I am looking for some places to check... I've look at the interior 12v resettable fuse box, and they are all in as expected, I've got a voltmeter, but I don't really want to cut wires etc...

So anyone feel like helping on this issue? Next ill need stereo amp help, and that silly couch that only half works... but those are next time...
mfannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Test the fuses they may look good to the eye but might not be. Pull them and us the ohm meter to make sure they are good. That is the place to start. If they are ok then do the same at the fans and also check the wires going into the fan to 12 VDC also check if there are wall switches that turn them on and off. Check each switch. That is where I would start. Hope this helped. Welcome.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

The thing these 3-fans have in common is they operate on 12v.

You just replaced the batteries. Are they fully charged? Are you sure?

Do you have a Converter/charger or an Inverter/Charger? Your coach is old enough that it could have either.

When you say the fans don't operate is this with the RV plugged into shore power or not or either way it still doesn't work?

How about other 12v items? Do they work? You're right about tackling one thing at a time but in this case the one thing should be 12v items in the coach.

Your coach has a house battery disconnect switch. Is it on or off? Obviously, if it's off then nothing 12v will operate.

Many people think fuses first, but actually they do blow but it's not all that common. Most common in your situation is:
1. The new batteries are dead.
2. The new batteries were installed incorrectly or a cable was left off
3. The house battery disconnect is off and the owner doesn't know where it is
4. A master fuse or solenoid has malfunctioned
5. The Converter/Charger has malfunctioned
I image that my list can be expanded by others, but those are the first things that come to mind.

PS. One more thing... since the coach is new to you, and the batteries were all dead, are there any hints of other electrical problems that indicate something bad electrically happened to the coach? This could include a power surge, a lightening strike or plugged into 240v power supply.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

sounds like my favorite subject to chase! I do congratulate you on going with the theory of deciding on and fixing one item at a time as RV have several different electrical systems but those three systems also tie together and rely on the other at times.
You also haver started at the correct spot as the batteries are one vital point on most of the stuff we want to use.
First stop to help clear any confusion?
Which exact model of Journey, 36 C or 36 L as there may be some differences, so we might as well start as close as we can!
When speaking fan in the bedroom, you mean a vent fan, not ceiling fan?
But for starters, I see a wire JB that brings the power from the breaker to the vent but also seems to feed the furnace, that breaker is in this small snip but also brings the question of whether the furnace works or have you tried it yet! This particular drawing does not give us a hint on where the breakers are located, so that may take you finding them? Seems to have a bunch of breakers for the coach lighting on the same panel, if you know where that it found.
Each wire is supposed to be labeled along the side with codes of two or three letters and this is the chart for those codes:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

The circuits labeled across the top as JA for water pump and monitor panel and lots of the J? are lights, so if those are working and not the vents, this breaker needs a check!
If this whole breaker panel is dead, the big number 6 black wire labeled as "M" brings power in from the converter and we will need to check back that direction.
Place to start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent power.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	176107  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ok, excellent good ppl! Ok, so this is a 36GD model, and the furnace works in both gas and electric, I haven't tested the water header yet, cause its cold... the 12 volt lights all work fine, and the electric awnings also work as well, and I have charged the batteries completely via the genset.. I also got the retract step working correctly and the air horn, so I am making progress... just trying to avoid taking them all apart.... I got physically MESSED up and have a hard time with fine controls...
Old 12-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Oh and its a freedom 15 inverter/charger...
Old 12-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Team

If every other 12v item is working, then it's not any of the things I suggested.

Perhaps best to get out a Volt meter and start looking for 12v at each of the non-functioning fans and see if any 12v is getting to them at all?

You mentioned the Fantastic Fan is a motorized open fan - if I don't use mine for a while the lid sticks, that can't be good for fuses. Can you manually open the fan?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay, different drawing and slightly better info as this drawing show the breaker panel and has them labeled as front view and each circuit! Better than my guess that we were looking at the front as this makes the breaker to check being in the lower LEFT row instead of the lower right! Since lights, etc on this buss bar are working, a check of this specific breaker may help. Try flipping it off and then make sure it is fully on to make sure it is correct.
But if that is true, we need to keep in mind that it also needs ground to make things work., so how are you set for a meter to test ground?
This is the front view!!!!
Looks like breakers are under the frig and also near the converter if you get to that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	176109   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker under frig.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	176110  

Old 12-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so its getting late, but I did go pull the lower beauty ring from the front fan, and I tested the voltage at the factory splice and I have 12 volts, next I double checked the little pop in buss fuse and it had no resistance, so next is the motor or the switch, so I took the other 4 scres out and there is the switch, its an old style switch, so I just bypass it, still nothing, the I see a resistorbetween the switch and motor, I dunno of its bad or not, but I now know the fan has failed, so now I need to figure out if I can remove its guts inside the rig or do I need to do it via the roof.... what fun... ok tomorrow will be the bathroom fully automatic fan that won't do anything....
Old 12-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Those fans are installed from the roof. So, if you are replacing it you must get on the roof and pull it out from there. And conversely the new fan will go in from the roof as well.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I might suggest doing a bit more checking to really be sure it is the fan before replacing it. One big item to keep in mind that the power is one item but it has to go in, through the motor and also have a good source to get back to ground. Before the big deal of changing out a fan, I would want to be really sure of the fuse as well as the ground.
One way to do this is to push a pin through the insulation of the hot side and see that 12volts is getting past the switch, speed control and anything else. A fuse holder with corroded contacts can mess with our mind if we are not alert!!
If I put a meter with one lead to some good solid ground and then the other lead to the pin pushed into the wire and see power, I then move to the other wire coming out of the motor and want to see ground there. To avoid possibly blowing a meter fuse, first check that outgoing wire for power as there can be power going all the way through the motor but not finding ground to make a full circuit.
I just don't favor going through all the tough stuff of getting on the roof until I KNOW the motor is bad.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

This is a bit premature, but if you end up having to replace the fans, consider getting the higher end models with wireless remote controls. They're certainly more expensive but their extra features and convenience of use make them very much worth the extra cost!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Those fans are installed from the roof. So, if you are replacing it you must get on the roof and pull it out from there. And conversely the new fan will go in from the roof as well.
I should have said the Fantastic Fans and large 14” X14” fans are installed from the roof. The smaller 6” square bathroom fans on my motorhome are installed from the inside with only a vent opening on the roof.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ok, ill keep messing with the front fan, but the next one is the fully automatic bathroom fan, its a 14" mode and is operated via the wall switches, where should I start, I am trying to avoid the roof, because I was hit by a car 1 1/2 year ago, and I now have vertigo and I get dizzy really quick, so I am really just trying to get them working via the interior, lucky im 6'4" tall...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

So steps / thoughts are welcome!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Front fan and bath fan and lift ar on the same power, so I suggest looking at the front first as the simple one and it may then clear the problem with the bath fan as well!
Part of the solution involves the comment about small motor skills being degraded. Does taking the fan switch out seem okay?
If that is okay for doing, we can get down to what pin on the switch back does what, where to expect power versus ground, etc. so we can drag that out if it will help.
You are fortunate in that your specific year and model do have lots of specific info posted online, making it much easier to sort trouble.
Even though I can climb, I still avoid the roof as being too hard if not needed!!
Click the picture for better view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bedvent.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	176116  
Old 12-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #17
Site Team

In your area of Washington there are plenty of independent RV Techs that will come to you and get up on the roof to fix or replace those fans.

So, don't be afraid to give a local pro a call. Vent fans have improved in the past 18 years and don't cost all that much. You can order new fans online, call a mobile tech and have this done in no time.

Mobile Mechanic Services,
Mobile Mechanic Service | Graham, Wa 98338
Graham, WA
253-221-0104

Or maybe:

All Done RV Service
https://alldonervservice.wixsite.com/alldonervservice
Orting, WA 98360 USA
[email protected]
(253) 243-5576
Old 12-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Excellent lines of thought! I found the issue with the front fan, it now works!!! The ground connection that comes from the motor and has a metal clip via the case was rusty, and no good connection, so I got out my slobbering station and made a new connection, now it works like new!!!! So I moved on to the Jensen bathroom fan and pushed the buttons, I could hear the elevation motor clicking, but no movement and the fan doesn't work, so I took the beauty ring off, then the screen, and there was part of the elevation gear broken in half, and the little fan motor barely moves with my finger, so that is gonna need a new unit, and I will prolly call someone before summer, as it doesn't leak at this time, but there isn't a reason to try to make this one work, and the bedroom one shouldn't be hard to fix....

Now should we move on to the next issue in this thread or should I start a new one???
Old 12-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfannan View Post
Now should we move on to the next issue in this thread or should I start a new one???
If it's not an electric issue or related to Fans perhaps starting a new one would be a good idea. But either way is OK.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Sounds like good progress and you are correct ( we hope) that the bedroom vent is like the first. white wire ground and yellow ire being battery and at this point, you can be pretty sure it is not the breaker or plugs along the path, so possibly the same corrosion thing? When you can fix three fans and only have one actually bad, I call that success!
Good luck with the other problems and whether to go for a new post or continue here is not big thing. One way to cut to the good info quicker is to add the year, model and the 36 GD to a signature at the bottom so that any time in the future, your post will always have the needed info there for everybody to spot.
Makes things move quicker for better ideas?
Hit "User CP" at the top left, then "edit signature" and enter the info?
Best of luck on the trek!

Tags
electrical