Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

The documentation for our 2021 View states in several places that shore power should not be connected while in storage.

But... It probably depends upon how long you plan to have the RV in storage.

Long term storage appears to be defined in the document as greater than 3 months.

We usually have the RV in storage for 1-3 weeks. So we don't need to follow all of the recommendations for putting the RV into long term storage.

But if we're going to have the RV in storage for a month or longer, then we'll follow the recommendations, including no shore power, disconnecting the chassis/coach batteries, and turning off our lithium batteries (with at least an 80% charge).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

When I had FLA batteries, I just brought them indoors during winter storage and connected them to a battery minder. With LiFePo4 storage batteries now, they can stay in the RV during winter and will hold its charge. If you’re motorized, then you’d only have to remove the chassis battery.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I also have a 2015 Vista 27N, and the standard converter - charger used by Winnebago in that model is a modern multi-stage unit that drops into a 13.4 volt float charge mode when it senses the batteries are charged. I leave mine plugged in for weeks at a time with both the Chassis and Coach battery switches by the door in the ON position. With the correct float charge voltage, very little if any of the water in the battery fluid gets changed to gas and lost from the batteries.

Also, the 2015 27N has an Intelligent Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) that will connect the chassis battery to the coach battery from time to time, as needed, with both battery switches in the ON position and at least float charge voltage on the coach batteries, so the chassis battery stays charged, but NOT overcharged, as well.

As long as you check the fluid level in your coach batteries at least every 3 months and and add water to keep level at bottom of the plastic holes under the caps there's no issue.

I found that water level in batteries drops very slowly. Until you confirm this you can check battery fluid level more often.

With both battery switches ON, there is a small load on the coach and chassis batteries of about 20 watts from the radio constant power lead, the infrared remote control repeater module, the thermostat, the step control board, the BIM, and the propane detector. Add a couple of watts to that if you have the refrigerator turned on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the responses. I've learned a bunch.
I've decided to leave shore power disconnected for the time being. My storage lot is convenient for me to access and I plan to check on the coach at least once a month. I will use the battery disconnect switches. I can use my trusty volt meter to check battery charge; and check water levels.

Hoping to use it often enough that it won't be an issue. No need for winterization here in SW Florida and year round camping available.

Maiden voyage happening next week.

tntfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I have a 27N. I don't leave mine plugged into shore power. I use a CTEK trickle charger on the chassis and the coach batteries, with the battery switches in the rig off. I put charging cord connecters on the batteries and routed them for exterior access so I don't have to open the battery compartment under the stairs to connect the chargers. I do not disconnect the battery cables. CTEK makes a good charger and it won't boil the batteries. Their float algorithm is good.

I chose to do it this way because one time while plugged into shore power in storage my ATS switch burned up. I was on a surge protector and it did not trip, so the problem was at the ATS. Whatever happened was hot enough to melt some of the plastic housing as well as insulation off the wires. Fortunately only the ATS was damaged... As an aside, Winnebago sent me a new ATS under warranty and counseled me on keeping the wiring in the ATS torqued to specs. Which I now check periodically. After that experience I opted for the above approach.

As you have read by now there are many ways to do this. Do what gives you the most peace of mind.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, storage