Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Using inverter

When we are traveling on the road, I keep the inverter on in our 07 Journey so that I have the outlets and microwave available for use. When we get to our destination, should the inverter stay on or does it automatically go off when you contact to outside power?
ginagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

Hello Hello; Hello;;; I may need some hot water today So I'll leave the heater on and the water running;; My oh my;; Leave it off.. when you need it turn it on. Or is that to much of a problem;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My HR Endeavor inverter is always on, without it I have no power to my plugs. Even when on shore power.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Oh my oh my.....most inverters know when you plug into ac power and switch. I think most mfg. Of them tell you to shut them down when not in use. I forget mine from time to time and no problems so far. I try and remember it and shut it off when not traveling.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

On the road Invert!! plugged in dis invert

Dennis Parker
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hello Hello; Hello;;; I may need some hot water today So I'll leave the heater on and the water running;; My oh my;; Leave it off.. when you need it turn it on. Or is that to much of a problem;;;
It is to much of a problem for me because I have to go outside to turn the invertor off or on.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a 2000W Xantrex and I leave it on while I am camping. The down side might be if you lose 120V power you may not know it until your batteries get low. My understanding is while plugged in the inverter goes into standby mode and does not hurt anything. When in storage for the winter I turn the inverter off.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Turn the Inverter off when not in use.
Turn the pump off when not in use.
Turn lights off when not in use.
Turn the Generator off when not in use.
Turn the engine off when not in use.
All these I can do but I still have not figgured out how to turn my wife off when not in use.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Wow, where did that come from? Talk about assumptions.

You can leave your inverter on. The amount of energy it uses is nothing compared to the amount going back into the batteries from the charger (say when you are driving).

Any electricity your motor home makes through solar, alternator or converter/charger and isn't being used or stored in the batteries is going to waste.

It is nothing like leaving a hot water heater on where you are consuming a fuel without benefit.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I attended a Xantrex seminar at G.N.R. The rep said leave it in Stand by mode. That way when there is no external A.C. power it will be there when needed. When plugged in it will be overridden by charger.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
All these I can do but I still have not figgured out how to turn my wife off when not in use.
So.....................

Exactly WHEN did you retire from your stand up career?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I attended a Xantrex seminar at G.N.R. The rep said leave it in Stand by mode. That way when there is no external A.C. power it will be there when needed. When plugged in it will be overridden by charger.
+1 What he said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Depends a lot on the inverter... I keep my Prosine 2.0 turned on all the time. it has an automatic transfer switch, line power sensing and switches to "Standby" if shore power (or generator power) is present. Only inverts if needed.

Some inverters (For example the X-power I have in storage) do not have line power sensing and thus draw battery power all the time. Those I'd turn off.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
It is to much of a problem for me because I have to go outside to turn the invertor off or on.
You should have an inside switch somewhere. On my Monaco it was in the overhead cabinet over the entrance door.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
You should have an inside switch somewhere. On my Monaco it was in the overhead cabinet over the entrance door.
I would love it if that were true. However you did make me get off my butt and do another search for a switch. The plug for the microwave is labeled "inverter" not sure why as it is only a plug for the microwave and does not even run off the inverter.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post

+1 I agree with this post.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I would love it if that were true. However you did make me get off my butt and do another search for a switch. The plug for the microwave is labeled "inverter" not sure why as it is only a plug for the microwave and does not even run off the inverter.
Are you talking about the MH in your sig?
"2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins"
There's no reason the microwave won't run with the inverter and you do have a switch somewhere. Do you have an owners manual?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Are you talking about the MH in your sig?
"2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins"
There's no reason the microwave won't run with the inverter and you do have a switch somewhere. Do you have an owners manual?
Yes its the one in my sig. and the inverter is a 600 watt which runs both TVs. I do have a manual but there is no mention of a switch other then the one directly on the inverter. Again I hope you guys are right but I have checked every cupboard and drawer so I don't know where this switch would be. Some coaches have the control board for the inverter whereas mine does not.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
I agree......
Great signature Stogie!
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes its the one in my sig. and the inverter is a 600 watt which runs both TVs. I do have a manual but there is no mention of a switch other then the one directly on the inverter. Again I hope you guys are right but I have checked every cupboard and drawer so I don't know where this switch would be. Some coaches have the control board for the inverter whereas mine does not.
600 watts isn't enough to run anything but the tv so it could be that there is no inside switch.