Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have room for three 6v golf cart batteries. Is there any way to hook the three up for 12v?

Will the 12v charger be too much for the 6v?

Any info will be appreciated.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have room for three 6v golf cart batteries. Is there any way to hook the three up for 12v?

Will the 12v charger be too much for the 6v?

Any info will be appreciated.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

in short, no. 2 6 volts make a 12 volt. You must install them in multiples of 2.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
I have room for three 6v golf cart batteries. Is there any way to hook the three up for 12v? Will the 12v charger be too much for the 6v? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just to expand on rvcarpenter's answer, 2 six volt batteries connected in series will produce 12 volts, and produce more amps than two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel, if you buy good quality, hi-amperage 6 volt batteries. Your 12V converter should be ample to keep them charged.

If you had room for 4 batteries, you could connect them in two sets: 2 in series then connect both sets in parallel to produce 12 volts. You'd have lots of amps to work with under that configuration.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not sure how your battery compartment is set up, but I had a 98 Adventurer 35U and now have a 03 Adventurer 35U and with both of them I had room for four 6 volt batteries along with my chassis battery. It was a close fit, but it worked. Also use a 2000W inverter with them.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer 35U
03 Windstar Van
Brake Buddy
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just replaced 3 house batteries with two 6 v. golf cart batteries and have more power than before -- I have to modify my tray for two more 6 volts -- a golf cart uses 6 batteries --- 4 would be desirable in my ultimate freedom
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #7

I just asked this question (can I replace the 12-volt coach batteries with 6-volt batteries for my coach?) of my dealership (service department) this morning. The answer: two 6-volt (deep cycle, golf-cart) batteries will give more power than the Winnebago-supplied two 12-volt coach batteries. The service representative did warn us that the 6-volt batteries are taller but they will fit easily into the under-step storage area of our Sightseer.
ejlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just asked this question (can I replace the 12-volt coach batteries with 6-volt batteries for my coach?) of my dealership (service department) this morning. The answer: two 6-volt (deep cycle, golf-cart) batteries will give more power than the Winnebago-supplied two 12-volt coach batteries. The service representative did warn us that the 6-volt batteries are taller but they will fit easily into the under-step storage area of our Sightseer.

ejlcom

'06 Sightseer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds right. I have 4 6volts under my steps in my 2001 itasca sunrixe. I think they are pretty similar.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote