Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Here is some very interesting information that a freind of mine passed on to me recently. Some of you may already know about this but those who don't....you might find it useful. Basically, as long as you have cell phone coverage where ever you're at....you can also have access to the internet....

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/
Create an ID and Password

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/ and become a member (sign up)

TIP: Do not sign up to either Yahoo or any Yahoo Group with your personal email address. Create a "throw-away" email address and use it. You will be able to receive mail at this address but if Spam ever becomes a problem, you can just forget that account and start a new one somewhere else. Many people have Hotmail or Yahoo or Excite or G-Mail (Google's email) addresses.

In the Internet by Cell Phone group, you'll find different "sections" including Files. If you only have time to read one, read the Connectivity Tutorial for your cell phone if it's listed.

Another Section is Messages. You can choose whether you want new messages sent to your email address each time a new message is posted, or "Daily", or "Never". If you choose "Never", then you will go to the website whenever you want an update. I originally did Daily so I'd only get one message a day, then was still getting more than I could keep up with so I changed it to "Never".
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here is some very interesting information that a freind of mine passed on to me recently. Some of you may already know about this but those who don't....you might find it useful. Basically, as long as you have cell phone coverage where ever you're at....you can also have access to the internet....

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/
Create an ID and Password

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/ and become a member (sign up)

TIP: Do not sign up to either Yahoo or any Yahoo Group with your personal email address. Create a "throw-away" email address and use it. You will be able to receive mail at this address but if Spam ever becomes a problem, you can just forget that account and start a new one somewhere else. Many people have Hotmail or Yahoo or Excite or G-Mail (Google's email) addresses.

In the Internet by Cell Phone group, you'll find different "sections" including Files. If you only have time to read one, read the Connectivity Tutorial for your cell phone if it's listed.

Another Section is Messages. You can choose whether you want new messages sent to your email address each time a new message is posted, or "Daily", or "Never". If you choose "Never", then you will go to the website whenever you want an update. I originally did Daily so I'd only get one message a day, then was still getting more than I could keep up with so I changed it to "Never".
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I haven't read the article, but from personal experience I can tell you that with a plain old Verizon cell plan, I can access the internet without having a data plan however this is "back door" access that can be cut off without notice by Verizon. It has NEVER worked where I am on "extended network" and will ONLY work when my phone says "Verizon."

My friend said Cingular used to have "back door" access but I believe this has been shut off and you now need to have a data plan.

Can't speak about other providers.

The ultimate in mobile connectivity is our Datastorm system - broadband (barely) practically everywhere - we just need a clear view to the south.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

can some one explain to use how this works.we have verizon cell phone do we need to buy a USB cable or some other kind of adapter for our lab top Thankyou Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

OK Ron and Patti, I'll be awaiting the answer also.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Go to Yahoo Groups: Internet by Cellphone. All your questions can be answered there. However; NEVER go ask a Verizon store/rep. or your access will be terminated! I've used my Verizon cell with MOK USB cable to laptop for several years with good results. It does use your package minutes, unless you use your free time after 9pm.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have done this with my Verizon Bluetooth phone. My laptop has bluetooth so I setup a dial-up connection and connect to my ISP (which in my case is to where I work - since it is free to me). If you have a USB or serial cable that will connect to your phone, you can use it too (although you may need special software like phone tools). I only use this in emergency because it is very slow (about 20k) when I can't get signal on my Sprint card.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a cable that connects my Motorola Razor to my laptop's USB connetion. I got it at the Verizon retail store. The computer sees the cellphone as a modem.

Our isp at home is Roadrunner who also has dial up connections in different cities for travelers. I downloaded a "dialer" from Roadrunners website.

When I want to use the internet, I simply dial into Roadrunner dialup using my cell phone connected to the computer. It's only connects at about 14.4 k, so it's slow as Christmas but it does allow me to get my e-mail.

Happy camping!!

Lee
Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I use the Verizon office connectivity kit with my cell phone, think it was $39. I have hi speed National Access and slower Quick to Net both of which I use when on my free minutes. I have had service on extended network.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #10

I use the Verizon LG 3300 cellphone with the Mobile Office Kit for my phone (ordered thru online Verizon). You will need to find the Moblie Office Kit for your specific phone. We have "America's Choice II Family Share IN Calling and 700 monthly allowance minutes ($0.45 per minute afer allowance) Costs us $60 monthly access plus $9.99 per additional line (x3 for mine and the girls' phones). We don't have a data plan and they have to know we are making Data calls as our bills show every one we make (both Stacey & I log online via cellphones and Verizon's NationalAccess). We also log on Nights (free minutes after 9PM) and weekends (free minutes all day).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I purchased the Verizon Broadband card for my laptop. It works so well that I use it at home and I cancelled my DSL line. It costs $59 per month. Last year, we traveled 5,000 miles across ten states and only a couple of locations where we did not have a signal. Kyocera makes a wireless router for this card and you can connect multiple laptops.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote