Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We love our Journey. But why the heck did Winnebago put an ugly black and white screen tv in the front dash for the backup cam? With prices of LCD's and color so low, it just doesnt make sense. Eitherway, we would like to reply our black and white box (TV) and camera with a color system, possibly LCD.

Concerns are, would like minimal effort in changing dash to make new screen fit. Also, I assume we need to replace both the camera and screen to get color? Can all wires be saved for a un-plug and then plug swap out?

Anyone done this? What equipment (TV and cam) did you get? Do you have any pictures of your install?

I know, lots of questions - but we just get SO much help on the forums!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We love our Journey. But why the heck did Winnebago put an ugly black and white screen tv in the front dash for the backup cam? With prices of LCD's and color so low, it just doesnt make sense. Eitherway, we would like to reply our black and white box (TV) and camera with a color system, possibly LCD.

Concerns are, would like minimal effort in changing dash to make new screen fit. Also, I assume we need to replace both the camera and screen to get color? Can all wires be saved for a un-plug and then plug swap out?

Anyone done this? What equipment (TV and cam) did you get? Do you have any pictures of your install?

I know, lots of questions - but we just get SO much help on the forums!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I bought a dealer show coach. They had downgraded the backup camera monitor to b&w because according to them "the color is difficult to see at night due to the contrast." I don't know how accurate that statement is as I have never seen a color monitor.

If I wanted to change mine to color, I would talk to Winnebago Owner Relations to find out exactly what that would require. They have been very helpful to me many, many times. You can contact them via email at [email protected] or phone at (800) 537-1885. Give them your coach s/n, and they will be quite helpful.

The parts to do the job would likely be cheaper from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, at (800) 343-6255.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
I bought a dealer show coach. They had downgraded the backup camera monitor to b&w because according to them "the color is difficult to see at night due to the contrast." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To show b&w on a Sony color monitor all they had to do was turn the color all the way down.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our former coach(99 Suncruiser) had black and white. Our current Sunrise (04) has color.

I agree the color is, for me, much better to use. Additionally, I would check to see if there wasn't a optional color offered for your coach and that might fit in the same location in the dash and camera mounts. I bet the cable will be the same.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

TomN cool but a little unusual USA map in your sig.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Flash:

I upgraded my OEM Sony B&W to Sony color. I did have to make a minor modification to the bracket in the dash to acccomodate the new monitor but it was easy to do. The color Sony monitor fit the opening fine.

I suggest you contact Tim and rvcams.com. He is an rv'r himself and is very knowledgeable about this equipment. His prices are competitive and he can be an excellent source for advice.

If I remember correctly, if you convert from a Sony B&W to Sony color, you cannot use the existing cable. I had to pull a new cable. You may be able to use the existing coax cable with the Voyager system...Tim will know. Tim also allowed a fairly reasonable trade in for my old B&W monitor and camera.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KIX:
TomN cool but a little unusual USA map in your sig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be on the rear window and we are looking 'through' it; that's way it's backwards.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote