Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Several weeks ago I asked about using a glass mounted CB Antenna since my Meridian did come with the roof mount. I am happy to report the glass mounted antenna I purchased from Radio Shack for around $50.00 worked great. I mounted it on the drivers side window slide window because the tint was very heavy on the window directly above this one. I did have to anchor the antenna mast as it whipped around considerably. I used two of those plastic stick on electrical wire holders (black to match antenna) and worked great.
Do not by the window antenna sold at Wally World as they do not work on double pain windows. Stay with a higher grade ones. If anyone wants pics of this I will be glad to send them.
Pusherman: Double pain does not seem to effect this model. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Several weeks ago I asked about using a glass mounted CB Antenna since my Meridian did come with the roof mount. I am happy to report the glass mounted antenna I purchased from Radio Shack for around $50.00 worked great. I mounted it on the drivers side window slide window because the tint was very heavy on the window directly above this one. I did have to anchor the antenna mast as it whipped around considerably. I used two of those plastic stick on electrical wire holders (black to match antenna) and worked great.
Do not by the window antenna sold at Wally World as they do not work on double pain windows. Stay with a higher grade ones. If anyone wants pics of this I will be glad to send them.
Pusherman: Double pain does not seem to effect this model. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

fun time --

Glad to hear your solution worked! I am surprised to hear that it works thru the dual-pane side window. My only experience on this one is actually with cellular antennas, who recommend against use with dual-pane glass.

Was there any directions with this antenna specific to the dual-pane installation? The location you used would be my choice, but I thought the dual pane would be a show stopper. What info did you get about the Wally World antenna not working on dual pane, and why does the Radio Shack one work??

I would like to do the same install.

I would love to see your pictures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would be very surprised if the antenna was designed for that kind of distance between the two plates (dual-pane); the antenna designer probably capacity coupled the feed and that is extremely sensitive to distance between the plates.

Years and years ago I used a through the glass antenna for my 2 meter ham radio - it worked, the SWR was acceptable, but it was not a particularly good performer. It is hard to beat an antenna mounted in the middle of a metal roof. Everything else is a series of compromises.

A through the glass antenna is convenient and easy to mount, but it would be absolutely my last choice of antennas.

--de wb5tht

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Pusherman and John: I will get you some pics tomorrow but not sure if I can upload as the wifi we are using is horrible so I may have to wait until I get home the latter part of this month to show the pics. It really looks great and the coax runs down the window channel and behind the side panel. Very easy and clean. A friend of mine bought the Wally World antenna and mounted it on his coach with double pain windows. His was so bad it did not even recieve more than 20 feet. I could not even begin the get a respective SWR whereas on mine I am acceptable but not great. I don't know the difference between the two other than looking at mine (Radio Shack) it appeared like the antenna was longer and the base part was larger. Other than that no difference. I don't want to mislead anyone with my post so understand, to John's point, I am receiving and transmitting at least a quarter mile but not as good as my roof mount on my previous coach. It is good enough for traveling. Thanks Guys.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
--snip--It is good enough for traveling. Thanks Guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And that's an excellent comment - if it meets your requirements and if the SWR is low enough to not harm the transmitter, it is 'good enough.'

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had what sounds like the same antenna and could not get the SWR any where near usable. If you are only talking a 1/4 mile some thing is very wrong. But if you are happy that is all that counts.