Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ultimate Freedom mystery coax

I'm trying to straighten out the wiring mess made by previous owners and convert to flat screen TVs front and rear. I've identified the original coaxs that run from the selector switch up front back to the rear TV (green), the coax that goes from the rear tv compartment to the outside entertainment center (yellow), and the coax that goes from the cable tv entrance to the selector switch (red). There is an unmarked black coax with one end in the rear TV compartment, goes through the wall into the closet, goes along the closet ceiling above the sliding doors and then goes up into the ceiling through a grommet. The installation is so neat that it almost has to be original, but I can't find it on any of the Winnebago wiring diagrams. Any idea where the other end of this mystery coax is? (38' 1999 Ultimate Freedom)
bsimonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

A guess is that the black coax is in place to be able to hook up a remote DSS dish rather than one mounted on the coach roof. If that's what it is then the other end needs to be where a DSS receiver could be placed. Maybe near the front TV.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There is a King Dome dish on the roof and the coax from the dish to the controller and from the controller to the receiver are accounted for all in the front overhead.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

I was referring to a situation where the moho was maybe under trees and could use the roof mounted King Dome. Perhaps the previous owner used a dish on a tripod and connected to the moho via the cable you've found
Old 11-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can you put a signal tracer on the coax and follow it along the ceiling, or wherever? They don't cost much and are pretty handy to have around.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I was referring to a situation where the moho was maybe under trees and could NOT use the roof mounted King Dome. Perhaps the previous owner used a dish on a tripod and connected to the moho via the cable you've found
Apparently my fingers type faster than my brain works
Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sounds to me like it would be a 2nd coax off the King Dome for hooking up to a 2nd satellite box in the bedroom so you can watch separate channels front and rear.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I seriously doubt the black coax is original. If Winnie put it in the ceiling then it would come out at the TV rather than across the room. My guess is it either goes through the roof and you could see that from topside ...OR, quite likely it goes down behind the rear cap and you may find it by laying on the ground at the rear looking up behaind the cap and searching toward either side. It may have gone out to connect to a portable antenna, or it may be a feed from some forward location.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mystery solved! In looking through the manuals that came with the MH it appears that at one time there was a Datron folding dish on the roof. The mystery coax from the rear TV compartment that disappears into the ceiling in the closet emerges from the roof up front near the scar where the old Datron was mounted and was just cut off. The other coax that goes to the front electronics bay was reused for the King Dome.
So, it looks like McDuff wins the prize for the closest guess.