Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ultimate Freedom/Advantage owners

I am looking at 2003/2004 40 ft ultimate freedom diesel pushers and was wondering if any owners out there could give me some positive or negative feedback. Any differences between 2003 and 2004 models and between freedom and advantage models? Also, any problems with anything like windshield frames rusting like Winnebago had on some models? Appreciate your input
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Ultimate series is a limited production luxury MH. About 480 were built between 1999 and 2004. They were only delivered to Winnebago top dealers. They are on a Spartan MM GT chassis, with a side-radiator pack. Motorhomes on a Spartan chassis run about $5,000 more.
The only things I've had to replace on my chassis is a rubber end on a ride-height rod, and the plastic hub caps on the front axles.
The UF and UA models have different configurations inside and compartment usage is different. Both models have about 4,000# cargo capacity according to the sales brochures..
Since the front end is all steel for driver and copilot protection, the windshield frame is subject to rust/corrosion. This area should be closely inspected for rust damage by removing the rubber trim around the windshields, as repairing rust damage can run as high as $4-5,000 for extreme repairs. Luckily ours did not have rust damage because it was always stored in a garage when not in use.
We bought an extended service contract with our UF to protect ourselves from burdensome repair costs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

We've had our '02 UA for 10 years. It's been trouble free as far as box workmanship and chassis with one exception. The Reyco-Granning 12,000# IFS has had to have the ball joints replaced at about 70K miles. The problem apparently is the ball joint boots.They're not replaceable and the rubber deteriorates and causes the ball joints to fail. It's about a $1800 problem.
There was also a 36' UA made. I know of one that was built on a Freightliner chassis.
If you're able to do most maintenance and repairs yourself the Ultimate line was a really good coach.
Good luck in your choice.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Early were on Freightliner, last 3-4 years on Spartan. Freedom msrp was $50-$100k over Advantage with more standard features like hydrohot floor heating. Both were great coaches. We did have a windshield rust problem traced to a leaking clearance lamp. Also had ball joints replaced.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have 2003 UF 40kd with three slides.. Great coach.. Had the windshield replace twice.. Rust repair each time.. no surprise.. The Reyco-Granning 13,700# IFS has a great feel, but only a 45 Degree cut.. Makes it a little tougher to park sometimes.. Lower ball joints replaced at 29K, and one upper replaced at 106 K.. We almost traded it last year but decided to fix it up a bit, and spend 200 K going down the road having fun.. They are worth keeping up, and enjoying..
photomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I too have 2003 UFkd. Very few issues; none serious or too expensive. It has a great floor plan but with the slides in it's way better than what I've seen of the new models.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Early were on Freightliner, last 3-4 years on Spartan. Freedom msrp was $50-$100k over Advantage with more standard features like hydrohot floor heating. Both were great coaches. We did have a windshield rust problem traced to a leaking clearance lamp. Also had ball joints replaced.
Mine was built Oct. 1999 on a Spartan chassis, title says 2000. Guess I'm lucky.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

UA 40J

We purchased a 1999 40J 6 years ago, it's on the freightliner with 300hp Cat 3126B. I now have 110,000 miles on it we put 50,000 over the last 6 years. Not to many problems with it so far new water pump on the cat, did replace front heater motor on floor furnace did it myself, great coach I did notice dirty rust water coming from windshield area I afraid to look any further. I think the 2003 or 4 models are ones you need to look at.

Tom & Rosa