Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Question twin 100W panels in parallel, fuse required?

I'm planning to put two 100W solar panels in parallel on the roof of my Micro Minnie 2100BH. It has the MC4 connectors pre-installed on the roof with 10-gauge wiring running from there to the designated spot for the solar controller. I know that the 10-AWG wiring should be good for 30-amps, and the SUM of the short-circuit currents for the two panels is 12.5-amps (6.24-amps for each panel). It seems to me that I don't really need a fuse from the panels to the controller since the short-circuit current generated by the panels is well below the limits of the wiring. Do you agree? The general instructions from Renogy seems to suggest I need a 20-amp fuse (short-circuit current * 1.56), but I can't see how it would ever be blown.

I need to go confirm there is already a fuse in the pre-installed wiring to the battery from the controller. A 20-amp fuse there seems like a must.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is no need for a fuse. As you have surmised the current, even the Isc the short circuit current, will never exceed the 10 gauge capability. Some install them as much for a disconnect as anything, but with MC4 connectors, just unplug.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
There is no need for a fuse. As you have surmised the current, even the Isc the short circuit current, will never exceed the 10 gauge capability. Some install them as much for a disconnect as anything, but with MC4 connectors, just unplug.

David
Great. Thank you!
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #4

I would definitely put a switchable fuse as close to battery as possible. This is for safety, but mostly I use it as an "on-off" solar switch for convenience. Your 2 panels put out ~5.3A each, but they go to the solar controller and that puts ~10.6A. but I would use a 20A fuse like this one in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV - 30A Circuit Breaker for Solar.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	176550  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes a fuse in between the controller and near the battery is necessary, but I don’t think that was what the op was asking about.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #6

Yep... I was agreeing with the OP: "I need to go confirm there is already a fuse in the pre-installed wiring to the battery from the controller. A 20-amp fuse there seems like a must."
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, panel