Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV in 2016 Winnebago ERA Model 170X

All of a sudden, the television in my coach stopped working. I bypassed the power input cable and the set came on; thus, I am not getting power through the connection cable. Curiously, although the headphone jack is putting out audio, when the system is plugged into the output, audio isn't going to the speakers in the coach. It seems that simultaneously the power and audio out feed connections have failed.

The set is mounted on a "scissor" wall hanger. Perhaps the cables have broken from moving in and out (although nothing is visibly wrong with the wires). I am at a loss. I would welcome any suggestions.

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Ron
RonMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When short on info and things seem confusing, I like to first sort one problem at a times and do the easier first. since audio is somewhat harder to sort as we have less way to test, perhaps you can start with the power problem first.
When you say you bypassed the cable to the TV, where did you get power? At a different outlet or the one where the TV is normally plugged?
Do you know where the TV is plugged into an outlet, so that you can test there is power to that as a first step? I would not expect the TV to be hard wired from the power source, although I have not seen an RV of your that model.
Although possible that power wires may be broken inside the cover, I would not expect that to happen without getting lots of arcing, possible smoke , etc. to let you know, so if you have no outlet to check, a look at fuses or breakers may be the next thought.
See if any of that helps and shout back?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Found this drawing for TV outlet. Does this match your RV as there are two models of that year?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv rect.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	175625  
Old 11-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When short on info and things seem confusing, I like to first sort one problem at a times and do the easier first. since audio is somewhat harder to sort as we have less way to test, perhaps you can start with the power problem first.
When you say you bypassed the cable to the TV, where did you get power? At a different outlet or the one where the TV is normally plugged?
Do you know where the TV is plugged into an outlet, so that you can test there is power to that as a first step? I would not expect the TV to be hard wired from the power source, although I have not seen an RV of your that model.
Although possible that power wires may be broken inside the cover, I would not expect that to happen without getting lots of arcing, possible smoke , etc. to let you know, so if you have no outlet to check, a look at fuses or breakers may be the next thought.
See if any of that helps and shout back?
Richard, thanks for your reply.

I disconnected the power input wire to the TV and used a separate power supply which I plugged into an outlet and the TV worked. The hardwired power to the TV disappears into the wall so I don't know where it connects. I checked the fuse for the TV circuit and it is fine. I read no voltage on the hardwired connector to the TV. All of the electrical outlets, both 110 volt and 12 volt appear to be working in the coach.

I find it hard to believe that all of the hardwires to the TV would have simultaneously broken. I thought perhaps there is a plug hidden away somewhere in which the power and audio cables connect. I haven't tracked that down as of yet (if it exists)
Old 11-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Found this drawing for TV outlet. Does this match your RV as there are two models of that year?
Thanks for the drawing, but it is different than mine.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Studying the drawing further, it may be close to mine (just reversed since my TV is on the driver's side). Perhaps the wiring diagram is the same. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMeyer View Post
Studying the drawing further, it may be close to mine (just reversed since my TV is on the driver's side). Perhaps the wiring diagram is the same. Thank you.
Yes, I knew there was a 50-50 chance of not getting the correct drawing as there are two builds of the RV for that year, so I chose one and obviously wrong one.
Wiring drawings are here:
Wiring Diagrams
It will most likely be in the 110 group, so perhaps you can better spot where it is located.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Richard,

The Wiring Diagram link does, indeed, provide me with the wiring diagram. Hopefully, it will enable me to trace the problem.

Ron

Tags
winnebago