Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Installed mine over the past week. Simply pulled the switch box and signal enhancer, put the antennae coming into coach on the converter in connector and then the converter out wire of the converter to where the antennae was connected on the enhancer.. In other words simply put the converter in line with the antennae coming into the coach. Do have to watch the same program on the bedroom TV and use two remotes.
What a difference in picture quality altho the size is diminished. Can I use a different aspect ratio to improve this? Hope this will improve with all stations going digital. We receive a few more stations at home with a cmplete lineup and in Luray , Va. we didn't get all the major Networks. Overall very satisfied with the way it works. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Installed mine over the past week. Simply pulled the switch box and signal enhancer, put the antennae coming into coach on the converter in connector and then the converter out wire of the converter to where the antennae was connected on the enhancer.. In other words simply put the converter in line with the antennae coming into the coach. Do have to watch the same program on the bedroom TV and use two remotes.
What a difference in picture quality altho the size is diminished. Can I use a different aspect ratio to improve this? Hope this will improve with all stations going digital. We receive a few more stations at home with a cmplete lineup and in Luray , Va. we didn't get all the major Networks. Overall very satisfied with the way it works. Safe Miles
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Ichn2go,

My understanding is that with the way that you have it connected, you will have to watch the same channel on both TVs. I bought two of the converters and will put them in the incoming signal cable for each TV so we can watch separate channels on each TV. The Winegard converters have a bypass so that I can still use my satellite, DVD player, etc.

I have an 06 Journey, 39K, and I'm not sure how I'll mount the bedroom converter, but I'll figure out something.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You are absolutely correct Bob. I didn't get two,but if this causes a real problem I will deal with it then. I must have the bypass because the DVD works and I assume Cable/Sattelite will too. In thinking about it, we do not use the crank up antennae for any of these features(?) Take care
Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If I understand correctly what you did , Winegard says not to connect it way because the amplifier in the batwing antenna needs a dc voltage to work. The voltage is supplied through the coax to the antenna. It can't get through the converter box to the amp so you will have severely decreased signal strength.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winegard says not to connect it way because the amplifier in the batwing antenna needs a dc voltage to work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had forgotten about the 12 volts being supplied to the batwing antenna. I installed just a regular 2 way splitter (which also blocks the 12 volts DC just like a converter) via this method of connection and it does indeed reduce your signal severely. I lost half of my channels.

Instead I connected a 2 way splitter inline with a DC bypass on one leg (available at Home Depot). The leg with the DC bypass allows the 12 volts to go on, along with the signal go to the batwing antenna as intended. I then connected the other leg of the splitter to my satellite DVR receiver with a build in digital tuner. After connecting it this way all my channels came back. I also have a DVD recorder with a digital tuner build in, which now receives signal via the second leg of the splitter and switching box. Connecting it in this manner allows each digital device to function independent of the other.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I misspoke in the original post. Another person actually hooked it up and I verified with him that we used the out wire ( wire that hooks to the switchbox)on the TV booster to go to the in connector on the converter so therefore we did not interrupt the 12v at all. Safe Miles
Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If you placed the digital signal box between the antenna in and the selector box why can't you watch different channels on different TV's if you selected Antenna in rear TV and Cable on front... The Coax coming in is only a single feed from antenna to selector box originally..so that shouldn't change, it's just one in one out to the box...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You can watch TV on the front from the crank up antennae and a different program on the back TV from Cable .. IF CABLE IS AVAILABLE.

You can do most anything it says on the switch box as long as you have the service/item available. No DVD no movies...Amen and Safe Miles
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I haven't done ours yet but you should be able to watch antenna front TV and antenna rear TV using the selector box and one Analog to Digital Box, No? Cable and Satellite you shouldn't need a box the Analog to digital will be done for you. Am I missing something here? Do you select the TV channel using the converter box? Does someone make a multi-TV Converter Box? Do you need a Converter box for each Analog TV?
What's WITH THE CAPS? Don't be a blooter...it's rude. Just trying to get a better understanding of what your talking about..and the easiest way to do it without more freaking remotes!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't done ours yet but you should be able to watch antenna front TV and antenna rear TV using the selector box and one Analog to Digital Box, No? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO! The digital tuner is in the converter box so whatever channel the box is set to is what you would watch on both TV's unless you have a separate box for each TV.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Not being a blooter and I never try to be rude.

Just trying to get a point across that this thread pertains to crank up antennae and converter box not cable or satelite.
IF you have cable and or satelite connections, then you don't need a converter box whether in a Moho or residence.
And yes you do need two converter boxes to watch different programs on front and back TV's.
Good Miles
Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I used the plans on this forum too hook up mine. Where the converter box is conn. to the vidio switch box via a splitter. One cabe runs to the AUX conn and the other to the ANT. in conn.

This give me the by pass I need for Anolog TV and digital TV viewing.

Give me the choice to view different programing front and rear. Plus use cable ot SAT. viewing on either TV.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Give me the choice to view different programing front and rear </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So as not to confuse some readers, if you want to watch 2 different DIGITAL channels on 2 different analog TV's you MUST have 2 separate converters. It will be possible until Feb. 19, 2009 to watch the analog channels on one TV and digital on another but once the analog signal goes away you need 2 converters, new TV's or be satisfied watching the same channel on both TV's.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thank You!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #16

You are welcome. There is a lot of confusing/misleading information being posted about the upcoming over-the-air (ONLY) digital changeover. I am glad to be able to help where I can.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Bill, thanks for stating clearly what I muddled up. Safe Miles