Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Turning Off Solar System

Hello, new TT owner. Recently purchased a 2022 Micro Minnie 2108FBS. It came with the Go Power solar system. 190w panel, 30a Charge Controller.

I want to remove the wet batter for the season. Live in Michigan and it is being stored outside. My understanding it is bad to disconnect the battery. So, my question is:. How do I safely shutdown the solar system?

Thanks!
2108_FBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It’s not bad to disconnect a battery. However, it is bad to leave a Flooded Lead Acid battery in your camper over winter, it can and will freeze. So, if you want to disconnect it, bring it indoors. If you leave it connected and leave it in the camper, your solar panel should provide enough power to keep it charged all winter. But if there is snow on top, you should connect to shore power. If it’s being charged, usually a FLA won’t freeze.

A solar system cannot be “shut down”. Your PV array will continue sending voltage down the wires to the charge controller as long as there is sun. PV is always “hot”. So in order to prevent solar charging while your battery terminals are connected to the 12v system, the needs to be a resettable fuse, circuit breaker, or disconnect between the solar charge controller and you battery.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm not an expert on this topic but if you do not have a disconnect between the solar charger and your batteries, you could cover the solar panel with something to block the light while you disconnect the batteries. No light means no charging. If you can come up with a good quality cover for the panels it would also protect them over the winter. Otherwise, just tape up the ends of disconnected battery cables to protect them from shorting out and then uncover the solar panel.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes you could cover the panels without needing to disconnect anything electrically. But that’s a lot more effort than just disconnecting the battery, either with a switch/breaker, or removing cables from battery terminals. Panels suffer no more risk of harm in winter than in summer.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Team

There is no disconnect between the solar charge controller and your solar panels because none is needed. But either remove the wires that go from the charge controller to the battery box OR insulate the wires from the controller at the battery connection.

What you don’t realize is power from the panels dead ends in the controller all the time when it’s not needed. This isn’t unusual or problematic.

If you must, cut cardboard to cover your panels to block sun.

Lastly, take your battery(ies) home for winter storage in your non-freezing garage and put them on a low power smart trickle charger.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When I installed my solar system, the company giving me advice told me that it was important to shut down the breaker between the panels and the controller FIRST, then shut down the controller. Reverse it when turning on. Turn on the controller first, then turn on the breaker. This prevents damage to the system.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Team

I’ve not known solar charge controllers with on off switches. They simply connect to PV panels… which stop producing power every single night and to batteries.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller definitely has on/off switches with instructions for the sequence for turning the system on and off. Looking at the Victron Smart Controller online, it does not appear to have them, so I guess it depends on which one you install.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2108_FBS View Post
Hello, new TT owner. Recently purchased a 2022 Micro Minnie 2108FBS. It came with the Go Power solar system. 190w panel, 30a Charge Controller.

I want to remove the wet batter for the season. Live in Michigan and it is being stored outside. My understanding it is bad to disconnect the battery. So, my question is:. How do I safely shutdown the solar system?

Thanks!
When first seeing the topic, "Turning off Solar System", I must admit I was curious as to why you wanted to turn off "the" Solar System, and how you proposed to do it. Then I read your narrative leading up to the question, I realized you were talking about solar panels and batteries. Whew! You had me worried for a time. I shall leave it to others to respond to your dilemma concerning winter storage and batteries. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Lots of solar chargers out there that will output the solar panel voltage or close to it if you remove the battery. (wich acts as a balance) Renogy for instance. so yes a solar panel would be recommended by lots of charging system manufacturers. you’ll possibly cook your system if you don’t under those conditions. covering the panels is another way, as mentioned
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I must be missing something as I have never figured out how to shut my Zamp charger off to my AGM house batteries or my chassis battery-- other than to disconnect the batteries. I found out the hard way when I had turned off the master and battery switches for both only to find I had current flowing when I changed the batteries out. Woke me up and left me scratching my head.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team

The OEM Zamp 30-amp charge controller, the one installed on thousands of Winnebago RVs, has no way to turn off power going to your batteries. The Victron controllers don’t have an obvious way to do so either, but there is an Off switch in the Victron app.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
Site Team

Good to know when I switch to Lithium.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Good to know when I switch to Lithium.
Al, when I did the switch I have to admit I forgot about the solar. I disconnected all my battery cabling after turning off my disconnects and the rotary cutoff for the inverter. Later, I was moving some wiring and Zap! Where did that come from? Oh, yes the solar panels. D’oh!

After the shock I disconnected the PV wires from the roof at the controller and wrapped them in electrical tape.

Tags
solar