Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #1

glenda1908
"Junior Member"
Posted November 14, 2005 10:03 PM
A while back I posted a question about the turn signals on our Vectra were not flashing. We needed to get this problem fixed before we could drive any distance (for obvious reasons). I finally called Winnebagos customer service line and spoke to someone named Steve. He told me (after being on hold for some time while he researched the location) that I was going to have to replace the "silver can" flasher relay that was located under the front end hood......WRONG! Fortunately, we have a great and very knowledgeable service tech near by our home and he said bring it in and I'll find it. Within 20 min. he had located the problem! Number 1. The flasher relay is NOT where Steve said it was. Number 2. It is not a silver can, but an electrical rather different item all together. It was located on the drivers side (outside) door where all the fuses are. It was inside the fuse panel and it was an electrical circuit board that had shorted out because water had gotten into the panel. Our friend was able to clean it and swapped it out with the four way flasher board until he could order a replacement. I can't understand why Winnebago didn't know the location of this item, and they also told me I could just replace it with one I could buy at an automotive store. This could not have been done. We are now in the process of requesting that Winnebago reimburse us for the part and labor. Apparently Winnebago will not authorize any independent tech to do warrenty work on any of their coaches. The independents can do warrenty work on items in your coach such as the fridge, awning, and any item that is not a Winnebago product. If it is a Winnebago chassy item they tell you to take it to the nearest dealer. Well, I don't know about you, but we did not want to drive more than a few miles around here without turn signals and our dealer is 150 miles from our house. I think if you have a certified tech that can do work on RV's that Winnebago should allow the owners to use them. We have very few dealers in our area, and I am sure you have all heard that, "if you didn't buy your coach here, you are at the bottom of the list for service". Just because these guys don't sell RV's they should still be allowed to do warrenty work on our coach. We are working on this problem through our state president and area reps. Thanks for letting me vent.
Posts: 18 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: June 22, 2004

Previous Topic | Next Topic powered by groupee community
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
[x]

Site iRV2 Forum Main Page
Servlet eve2da015
Version 1.2.11 build 8443
Module Forums 4.0.3
Stylesheet "Winnebago"
Wordlet Set "Default Wordlet Set"
Logout: iRV2 Forum Main Page
Update Groupee Account Reply

iRV2 Forum Main Page iRV2 RV Forum THE OWNER'S CORNER Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum Vectra turn signals
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #2

glenda1908
"Junior Member"
Posted November 14, 2005 10:03 PM
A while back I posted a question about the turn signals on our Vectra were not flashing. We needed to get this problem fixed before we could drive any distance (for obvious reasons). I finally called Winnebagos customer service line and spoke to someone named Steve. He told me (after being on hold for some time while he researched the location) that I was going to have to replace the "silver can" flasher relay that was located under the front end hood......WRONG! Fortunately, we have a great and very knowledgeable service tech near by our home and he said bring it in and I'll find it. Within 20 min. he had located the problem! Number 1. The flasher relay is NOT where Steve said it was. Number 2. It is not a silver can, but an electrical rather different item all together. It was located on the drivers side (outside) door where all the fuses are. It was inside the fuse panel and it was an electrical circuit board that had shorted out because water had gotten into the panel. Our friend was able to clean it and swapped it out with the four way flasher board until he could order a replacement. I can't understand why Winnebago didn't know the location of this item, and they also told me I could just replace it with one I could buy at an automotive store. This could not have been done. We are now in the process of requesting that Winnebago reimburse us for the part and labor. Apparently Winnebago will not authorize any independent tech to do warrenty work on any of their coaches. The independents can do warrenty work on items in your coach such as the fridge, awning, and any item that is not a Winnebago product. If it is a Winnebago chassy item they tell you to take it to the nearest dealer. Well, I don't know about you, but we did not want to drive more than a few miles around here without turn signals and our dealer is 150 miles from our house. I think if you have a certified tech that can do work on RV's that Winnebago should allow the owners to use them. We have very few dealers in our area, and I am sure you have all heard that, "if you didn't buy your coach here, you are at the bottom of the list for service". Just because these guys don't sell RV's they should still be allowed to do warrenty work on our coach. We are working on this problem through our state president and area reps. Thanks for letting me vent.
Posts: 18 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: June 22, 2004

Previous Topic | Next Topic powered by groupee community
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
[x]

Site iRV2 Forum Main Page
Servlet eve2da015
Version 1.2.11 build 8443
Module Forums 4.0.3
Stylesheet "Winnebago"
Wordlet Set "Default Wordlet Set"
Logout: iRV2 Forum Main Page
Update Groupee Account Reply

iRV2 Forum Main Page iRV2 RV Forum THE OWNER'S CORNER Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum Vectra turn signals
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you honestly beleive that any one could have solved your problem with one phone call? You are either kidding or VERY naive. There are a couple different flasher that could be used and I am betting you bought your's used and it may have been changed. If you are serious what you expect is unrealistic.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

While some problems cannot be solved with a single telephone call, this one probably could have if the Winnebago representative named Steve had provided the correct information. He should have known it was an electrical circuit board and not an automotive flasher. If Steve had given Glenda the correct information there would have been a different outcome.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #5

Thank you LK23 for your correct opinion. For Big Bens information we have a 2004 Vectra, that we bought brand new! I don't think I am being naive to assume that Winnebago should be familiar with a 2004 model. I actually called them twice and they seemed at a loss as to where this flasher unit was located. They even said we should call Freightliner to see where it was. We did so and Freightliner said that was a Winnebago item and they had no idea where they would have installed it. So there you go Big Ben.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

But as you said the flasher wasn't the problem. As to where it is located mine shows in the manuel. So there you go.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Be real! Steve gave you acorrect answer concerning the flasher unit. However, it sounds like the problem was similar to all electrical problems. There can be many causes for the defect. Why would you expet Winnebago to act differently than any manufacturer such as Chevrolet? If there is a problem with the car they will tell you to go to a dealer for warenty work.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #8

What is wrong with you guys? There was no "silver can" to look for and it was not even the correct term to use. If Steve told me to look under the hood for a silver can (flasher relay) then who doesn't know what they're talking about? There is NO SUCH ANIMAL in the Vectra...NO SILVER CAN FLASHER RELAY! Why didn't Winnebago's customer service person know this. Why was I told to look for a device that isn't even in the unit? I now know that the flasher relay on a Vectra 40AD is not the usual type found in most cases. It is actually a circuit board item...so why was I told to look for something that doesn't exist in this coach? Even Steve had me on hold for 15 min. while he was trying to find the answer. It is not in any of the manuals thay we have and it apparently is not in their books either.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well than there is only one thing left to do.Lets all Call in and see if we can get Steve Fired.Or maybe we can lynch him. Your venom is quit apparent in your thread. What do you think should be done?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #10

I am not trying to get anyone fired, but I do not appreciate your condescending attitude that I must not have understood the answer I received from Winnebago. The point I was trying to make is that if you can't even get correct info from the manufacturer....then what? I was only attempting to get tech assistance to resolve a problem, and driving without turn signals on a 40 ft. rig our location could cause a BIG problem. Steve led me to believe this was something that we could fix ourselves with a replacement part from Advance Auto Parts (his words). Who better to ask than the guys at the factory. I understand they can't know everything, but this was pretty blatant misinformation. So Ben, please find someone else to pick on. I think you enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

As we can see this thread turned out a little heated than the first one on same subject. This forum is here to help everyone without criticism, Steve should be called an given the correct info so the next customer will have it. We have all had this same problem when calling MFG's tech support passing blame an not knowing the correct answer for the question.
Most of us have found for peace of mind we ask questions on this forum, than correct it ourselves. Some may question this shouldn't be, Mfg's should be held accountable, maybe, but I will gain more from the good people on this forum then from Mfg's most of the time. MHO "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #12

I could not agree more 007. I find this forum very informative and I usually get quality information from the members. I have passed along the forums site to members of our RV club and told them "just post a question and the likely hood that someone will have an answer is very good". I like being able to "pick" other owners brains for solutions because I feel I will get better information here than anywhere else. However, when I went to the forum about the turn signals, no one had an answer, so I called Winnebago. I guess I expected them to know how to fix the problem. I have been able to solve many issues and received some invaluable tips from forum members. I debated on calling Winnebago and letting them know where the flasher relay is located. Another member posted that his dealer looked for two days and gave up. My husband has written Winnebago a letter requesting reimbursment for the repair and he described what happened. So I hope they will add this information to their data base so when the next owner calls in they will have the correct answer for them. Thank you again for not being critical of my post. I guess I just expected better quality information coming from the manufacturer, esp. about something as obvious as a turn signal.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Glenda 1908: Good Lord cool it girl. Have you never made a mistake? Misinformation is the rule in the RV world, accurate information the exception, for the 40 years I've been doing it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 AM   #14

Oh I've made a lot of mistakes Homer. I just don't "make things up" to answer a question if I don't know the answer. I think when I called Winnebago and asked for assistance, I would have rather the tech had said, "you know, I'm just not sure about that", "I'll have to research that and call you back". Maybe even then I would not have the right answer, but I think he just wanted to get me off the phone and move on. Enough said on this subject.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Don't know if this will help or add to the confusion, but I had the same problem on my Journey. I know the Vectra has a different Freightliner chassis, but it seems the turn signal wiring would be the same. Anyway, when my turn signals failed, I called Freightliner and they found and fixed the problem under their (Freightliner) warranty. They said the part (electronic module) that does the flashing is supplied with the chassis and Winnie just adds the cockpit controls.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I think everyone has said their piece, so let's move on and do some RVin..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thank You Bud, I think there was some baiting done on this thread which was unnecessary. Glenda said she was venting so no one had the right to say she was naive to actually expect accurate advice from Winnebago. If I paid the big bucks for a Vectra, maybe I would vent too. When you give them the vin number they have the specs in front of them. I have been noticing baiting on other threads on this board. Some guys need to get a life.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

It had nothing to do with baiting. I simple don't see how any one can give you an accurate answer when you say my turn signal don't work. Come on now just how many causes could there be. Granted Steve should have know what was used as a flasher in her unit. but that is certainly not the only plausible explanation.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #19

Yes Ben, that's what I did. I called Winnebago and said, "dah,my right and left pretty on and off lights don't work". No, I instead had a rather intelligent conversation and explained the issue very clearly. We had already eliminated all of the obvious reasons for the problem...bad bulbs, fuses,etc so we were fairly convinced that it was a flasher relay. We just needed to know where it was located. I hope I am wrong about this, but do you think if my name had been George, Ben's attitude would have been different?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

To Glenda,
I really don't think Ben cares whether you are male or female. If you read back since your first post on this issue you might see a trend that indicates you may have an attitude that is not conducive to getting a positive response from people. Slow down a bit and don't be so defensive and you might see a change in how people treat you. IMHO

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote