Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do I tune the C B antenna without using a SWR meter? Is this correct ? Listen to the static level on channel "40", then compare to the static level on channel "1". If there is a difference lengthen or shorten the antenna until the static level is the same on each of the two channels. Or should I get someone who understands the SWR to do it for me.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How do I tune the C B antenna without using a SWR meter? Is this correct ? Listen to the static level on channel "40", then compare to the static level on channel "1". If there is a difference lengthen or shorten the antenna until the static level is the same on each of the two channels. Or should I get someone who understands the SWR to do it for me.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Don't know of anybody that can tune an antenna by ear. Never heard of the static thing.

Some CB's now have SWR meters built in to the CB, but they aren't the best. Ideally, you would need to stop at a CB shop and have them set it for you. Having the SWR way out of whack will result in poor reception, and possibly damage to the radio. JMTCW
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tuning the antenna by ear is not the most accurate way to set the SWR, but it will work. I've set many this way. If you have a good ear you'll be close enough. If you find performance is not what you think it should be than get a meter and set it.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Before you ruin a new radio, stop by a CB shop and pay them $15 or $20 to get the SWR's set properly.

I don't know how listening to a radio gives you any indication of SWR. The SWR is the ratio of transmitted power to reflected power when transmitting. The static is only an indication of exactly that...static.

Ken
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Lutz:
How do I tune the C B antenna without using a SWR meter? Is this correct ? Listen to the static level on channel "40", then compare to the static level on channel "1". If there is a difference lengthen or shorten the antenna until the static level is the same on each of the two channels. Or should I get someone who understands the SWR to do it for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You need an SWR meter to "tune" your antenna.

Pay to have it done.

An improperly tuned antenna can blow the final transistors in your CB tranceiver.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

For the price of a SWR meter. You will save both your radio and time. You will need to recheck SWR every now and than. So you will use it more than once. If Winn. is till useing the CB ANT with the metal rings. It is very easy to tune the ANT.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have made an appoointment to have it adjusted by a CB Shop! My questions received a rally of replys from I am too cheap to there is nothing to it. I will have it done.

Thank you for considering my questions.