Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trickle Charger for my 2014 Vista 26 HE

For those who have this particular Winnebago and have installed a trickle charger - what charger works great and where did you install the charger ? Looking for something that will keep all 3 batteries trickling
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would use the on board converter/charger combo plugged in to shore power to charge the coach batteries, and get a smart charger/maintainer to charge the chassis battery from an 120VAC outlet inside the coach, to an "always hot" 12VDC outlet that is connected to the chassis battery.

I had a 2016 Sunstar 26HE (sister ship) but can't recall where the always hot 12V outlets were that could be used for charging the chassis battery.

I'm pretty sure all 3 batteries are located together under the entrance steps, so if you're handy, maybe you could plug into shore power and run a short Trik-L-Start between them. You'll find some installation vids on the net for T-L-S chargers.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Team

I owned a 2014 26HE and it came with a single stage converter/charger. I replaced it with a 3 stage unit and I it kept my house batteries charged well. I also added a trick-L-charge to keep the chassis battery charged.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Trickle L or Amp L easy install.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2014 Vista 31 ft and find the onboard charge is too hot for long term charging as it tends to boil the batteries too quick for me to like, so I go about it differently. I want as little powered used as needed while stored here at the house, so I find it easier to cut the parasitic drains and use a smaller trickly charge. Main idea is that less taken out means less needed to put it back. My power center/ fuse/ breaker panel is right next to the battery compartment, making it easy to open and flip all the power off the coach batteries as well as the charging. Then when plugged into shore power, I use the cheapest simple trickle charger from Harbor Freight to hold the batteries while stored but very little power being used.
This is one of the cheapest I've found and it works good for me:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-42292.html
I've mentioned this here and folks said it did not put out enough to keep their battieries up but the trick is to cut the load as I don't like to keep running current through batteries while stored as that power does come back around on the house bill at some point. One way to put batteries down is using them when you don't need to.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I have a 2014 Vista 31 ft and find the onboard charge is too hot for long term charging as it tends to boil the batteries too quick for me to like, so I go about it differently. I want as little powered used as needed while stored here at the house, so I find it easier to cut the parasitic drains and use a smaller trickly charge. Main idea is that less taken out means less needed to put it back. My power center/ fuse/ breaker panel is right next to the battery compartment, making it easy to open and flip all the power off the coach batteries as well as the charging. Then when plugged into shore power, I use the cheapest simple trickle charger from Harbor Freight to hold the batteries while stored but very little power being used.
This is one of the cheapest I've found and it works good for me:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-42292.html
I've mentioned this here and folks said it did not put out enough to keep their battieries up but the trick is to cut the load as I don't like to keep running current through batteries while stored as that power does come back around on the house bill at some point. One way to put batteries down is using them when you don't need to.

Sounds like a good way to increase battery life by shutting off the heavy duty onboard charger and just use a trickle charger for long extended down times.

Need to find a trickle charger that I can wire in to all three batteries and maybe add a source of power in the battery bay to plug in the trickle charger.
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I found it handy to use the outlet in the compartment next to the batteries that are under the flap at the door. This outlet is made for use outside and has a sliding door under it. Being right next to the batteries, means I can set the small charger on the batteries, use a small strap between the batteries as the charge current is very low and then drop the cord past the batteries up into the compartment to plug in. Batteries are setting on an open tray for venting, so it is just running the cord down and back up again. I flip off all breakers except the main and one that powers this outlet and open a cutoff on the chassis battery to remove all drain.
Since current flow is so low, a set of small jumper straps like for electrical testing works for me, after I bent the jaws a bit wider.
Any chance of the same on your unit?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Site Team

I installed an amp-L-start on the chassis battery (between the house and chassis) as Cataska recommended. It's not Harbor Freight cheap, but neither is my RV.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I don't recommend the Harbor Freight trickle charge for the price but I do look at the specs for what current and therefore charge rate it gives as I want enough to do the very slow charge that is needed to avoid overheating and boiling. It simply makes batteries last longer if they are treated better. One of my former jobs was in the telco industry where we had to make the batteries last and we treated them to make them last twenty years or longer in standby mode. That makes me feel good if I can make my RV batteries last ten years as they do have a much rougher life.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

An Amp-L-Start isn't a trickle charger, it allows one battery bank to charge a second as long as the first bank is receiving a charge. You still some form of charger, trickle or other type to supply a charging current. From Amp-L-Start's website:

"HOW IT WORKS - Connected between your house and engine starting batteries, AMP-L-START™ "steals" some of the charging current from your house battery charger (or solar panels) to also keep your engine starting batteries charged. Whenever no house battery charging source is present, it automatically shuts down, thereby preventing any reverse current flow back into the house batteries."
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Lots of ways to do the small stuff, so much of it depends on what fits each situation. If the coach charging equipment is good design, no harm in letting it charge all the batteries at once.