Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2022, 10:04 PM   #1
Jim202259KL

Travato 59KL Reading Light Upgrade

My Travato 59KL has a "reading light" over each of the two beds (I think other models also have them). They are LED lights, pale blue. They're too dim to use for reading (or pretty much anything else). I'm thinking of replacing them with something brighter, but I'm uncertain what to get, in terms of amps (not wanting to overload the circuit). Has anyone upgraded their "reading lights?" (I haven't yet figure out how to remove the ones that are there, nor have I figured out how to simply replace the LED bulb). Thanks.
Jim202259KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A different option

Not familiar with the Travato (other than seeing a lot of them around) and no idea what your options are in terms of replacing the existing LED lights.

In our case, we just installed a number of these AA-powered LED lights in various places. They mount with double-sided tape or a couple of small screws (we chose the latter). One over each bed, one over the kitchen counter, one over the sofa, one in the wardrobe and a couple in the rear storage area. Run them off of rechargeable AA Eneloop batteries. They last for an entire trip of a few weeks, and we have a USB-powered AA charger if we need to recharge them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We did it mostly to have some lighting when we were boondocking (mostly Walmart- or Cracker Barrel-docking) and wanted to minimize use of the 12V system, as I have some medical gear that runs off the 12V system overnight and we are careful about running it down. We just replaced our coach batteries, so perhaps it's no longer an issue, but we'll still try to minimize our 12V usage when we can.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #3
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Not familiar with the Travato (other than seeing a lot of them around) and no idea what your options are in terms of replacing the existing LED lights.

In our case, we just installed a number of these AA-powered LED lights in various places. They mount with double-sided tape or a couple of small screws (we chose the latter). One over each bed, one over the kitchen counter, one over the sofa, one in the wardrobe and a couple in the rear storage area. Run them off of rechargeable AA Eneloop batteries. They last for an entire trip of a few weeks, and we have a USB-powered AA charger if we need to recharge them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We did it mostly to have some lighting when we were boondocking (mostly Walmart- or Cracker Barrel-docking) and wanted to minimize use of the 12V system, as I have some medical gear that runs off the 12V system overnight and we are careful about running it down. We just replaced our coach batteries, so perhaps it's no longer an issue, but we'll still try to minimize our 12V usage when we can.
I might go that route if it turns out I cannot replace the existing fixture. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are two builds of that model but it looks like this light is the same on each.
Does it look like this is the correct light?

Name:   light.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  10.0 KB
If correct light, this seems to be the description if one were wanting to order that light and it gives the current used as .14 amp!!
Click these snips for better view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	light 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	184499

So to be carefull you might need to check what fuse or breaker these lights run on to find what amp draw it can handle? On the newer RV we don't get the good info we have on older (pre 2010) so you may find it labeled or may have to try flipping breakers until you find what and how many things are on the circuit with these lamps.

The idea is that you want to add all the items on the circuit and find if there is enough spare capacity to go with a different lamp which may draw more current.

But from a practical standpoint, LED draw so little current that we often don't have any problem even if we double the current on one or two lights.
A five amp fuse is often the smallest we see on RV and using .14 amp each , we could run in the range of 35 of these lights, if there was nothing else on that circuit!
That makes me feel like it would be okay to go with two of this type light if you want to stay with standard Winnebago products alone. Assuming that breaker or fuse at five amp and using these? These using either .30 or .20 amp, you can ONLY use 15 to 25 of them!!!

Name:	light2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	184500

If there is a local source for small lights, I might just walk in and look at some LED that appeal to me and see what the specs are on them.

If you want to pull the light down, there should be a code stamped on each wire to let us use a list to find what that wire connects. This list will sometimes tell the breaker/fuse size for the hot side!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	184501

Bottom line for me would be that the increased current is likely to be so small that I might just find a light at a place where it could be returned and not worry the tiny amount of increase!

How's the gambling spirit today?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had the same lites on our 2020 59K. Those lites were both blue and a brighter white for reading. Initially I thought they were just blue. But I figured out that toggling the push button switch changed the color option. But perhaps they made changes to the later models. The white was certainly bright enough to read.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #6
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
There are two builds of that model but it looks like this light is the same on each.
Does it look like this is the correct light?
Attachment 184498
If correct light, this seems to be the description if one were wanting to order that light and it gives the current used as .14 amp!!
Click these snips for better view.

Attachment 184499

So to be carefull you might need to check what fuse or breaker these lights run on to find what amp draw it can handle? On the newer RV we don't get the good info we have on older (pre 2010) so you may find it labeled or may have to try flipping breakers until you find what and how many things are on the circuit with these lamps.

The idea is that you want to add all the items on the circuit and find if there is enough spare capacity to go with a different lamp which may draw more current.

But from a practical standpoint, LED draw so little current that we often don't have any problem even if we double the current on one or two lights.
A five amp fuse is often the smallest we see on RV and using .14 amp each , we could run in the range of 35 of these lights, if there was nothing else on that circuit!
That makes me feel like it would be okay to go with two of this type light if you want to stay with standard Winnebago products alone. Assuming that breaker or fuse at five amp and using these? These using either .30 or .20 amp, you can ONLY use 15 to 25 of them!!!
Attachment 184500

If there is a local source for small lights, I might just walk in and look at some LED that appeal to me and see what the specs are on them.

If you want to pull the light down, there should be a code stamped on each wire to let us use a list to find what that wire connects. This list will sometimes tell the breaker/fuse size for the hot side!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Attachment 184501

Bottom line for me would be that the increased current is likely to be so small that I might just find a light at a place where it could be returned and not worry the tiny amount of increase!

How's the gambling spirit today?
Thank you. Yes, I had found the same part number on the Winnebago web site that you've shared. But as you point out it doesn't tell us much about the bulb and if it can be changed (which would be the easiest thing to do). So I'll need to poke around (at least as risky as gambling!)
Old 10-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
We had the same lites on our 2020 59K. Those lites were both blue and a brighter white for reading. Initially I thought they were just blue. But I figured out that toggling the push button switch changed the color option. But perhaps they made changes to the later models. The white was certainly bright enough to read.
Yes, I do remember that being the case with the reading light in the 2016 Travato. But this one, push the button, it turns on blue. Push it again, it turns off. Perhaps a change because of supply chain problems during the period it was being built?
Old 10-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Reading light

Jim, on my 2017 Travato the white reading light is activated by holding the button on for 2-3 seconds. A quick push of the button does the blue light. Just and FYI.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #9
Jim202259KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
Jim, on my 2017 Travato the white reading light is activated by holding the button on for 2-3 seconds. A quick push of the button does the blue light. Just and FYI.
Travato John
I will try that. Thank you for the hint. Interesting way to wire a light!
Old 10-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

on the ERA 2019 love those lights they start as dim blue, hold the button and go bright white, the idea is in middle of night it is enough to see where you climbing in or out of bed, bright white is reading
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstrum View Post
on the ERA 2019 love those lights they start as dim blue, hold the button and go bright white, the idea is in middle of night it is enough to see where you climbing in or out of bed, bright white is reading

2022 Travato KL has the same switch...press and hold to go from blue to white
ChrisTravato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I bought two of these for bedroom reading lights. The Queen was well pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 10-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #13
Jim202259KL

Thank you, everyone. I finally got a chance to check and indeed, the bright white light comes on when holding the button for more than just a quick push.

Tags
light, upgrade