Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Transfer switch Blues

2017 Winne Fuse. Recently prepping for the Memorial Day weekend, and the morning before departure found we had no shore power. Tried a different outlet in my carport and no joy. I fired up the generator and transfer switch kicked in and had power.

I decided I wasn't going to let it ruin the weekend and off we went.
Ran generator a few times first day to cool off inside as we had 82 degree temps.
Second day didn't need it as morning temps were 55, afternoon mid 70s. great having LED lighting as it didn't drain batteries very much.

We came home morning of third day and didn't mess with it much. Just checked out winne wiring diagrams and found power cable enters directly into transfer switch just inside the cord storage area on RV.

Next day looked inside and found the switch and had a bit of a struggle removing the cover as it snaps on. once off discovered the Hot wire from the power cord that's supposed to go into the relay was severely corroded and had burnt the end off. Corrosion causes resistance and increases current. So the input lug to relay is also damaged. I'm debating wether to fuse that input there. I'll attach pics.

Found a replacement on Amazon. Cost me little over $80 and it's on its way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	179198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	179199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	179200  
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Peter,
I just recently had the same issue, although mine was working on day one of the trip. I'm thinking a wonky power pole at the campground.

We had a plastic burning smell and when I got home and pulled off the cover you could see some burn marks where it was overheating.

It sounds like we ordered from the same place, I also picked up a replacement from Amazon for $80.

The mobile tech that is going to do the swap is also hardwiring a Surge Protector with EPO.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's a good idea to tighten all transfer switch connections at least annually. They're the cause of numerous power issues.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It would probably be a good idea to use some dielectric grease on the connections, when installing the new switch. It will help tp prevent the problem from reoccurring.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Annual checks

Yeah I plan on adding this to my checks and using grease or no-ox on connections
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch