Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
All,
As a way to reduce power used by the LP cut-off switch mechanism (aka, a power Vampre): DON’T USE THE RESISTOR/CAPACITOR TYPE DEVICE. The one I got from Alan Skiper (see quote above) quickly got wicked hot and the failed with an audible “pop”. Alan sent me a replacement which had the EXACT SAME RESULT. So, $45 lesson learned: don’t try this. Even Grandpa Ron emailed me that he doesn’t use this type either.
Several others pointed me instead to a “DC-DC Converter” method. I just installed such a device to the Propane cutoff switch that lowers the power used by the switch to keep the valve open. The unit cost me $75 from Leonard Casella and came with very easy instructions. I did need to get a multi-tool ($40 on Amazon) to cut a square hole in the monitor panel just below the Propane cutoff switch (pictured below- needed a small cutting blade; $5 at Harbor Freight). Every fit easily in place and looks very professional when done. If interested I have additional pictures of how the wires hook onto the water tank heater (for the ground), as well as how the device connects into the old propane switch and the new one. I verified the generator works while the low power switch is on AND when it is off. Woo hoo! No high heat, and the second switch preserves the life of the converter module as you reall don’t “need” it if you are on shore power or have the engine on.
18 months later how is it working?

Tags
battery, refrigerator