Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
great job on finding that problem but that is typical of that relay. your fix is only temporary as it will reoccur. . the contact point should be burnished to give any kind of longer lasting repair and also add anti corrosion electrical paste.

When shopping at napa I find it better to look on line Fire Up -go in there with their part number and they can get anything. Also try next time to go to advanced auto or autozone as they all carry similar parts.

the standard continuous duty relay I used is typically found on websites for under $30 bucks. They use these on commercial boats for all types of applications from running heavy duty motors to lift lobster pots to net hauls. they work great. 300 amp inrush capacity and will do more work than can describe.

here is the typical part I used. still working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sol.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	82327  
Old 01-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Nice pics - good to hear/see it's all back and working as it should
I too much prefer to fix rather than replace

I installed a "disable" switch used to turn off the ignition activated charging (activation of the "Boost" relay) function (yes it can be activated when / if needed). The constant 14+ volts to my deep cycle batteries was/is NOT desired. My 550watts of solar and manually controller multistage converter keep the coach battery bank up.
Same here .... I have an enable/disable switch. I haven't had a need to enable the BIRD in over 2 years. As you mentioned, a solar can keep the house bats charged and, in my case, my chassis stays charged (almost no parasitic draw).
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
great job on finding that problem but that is typical of that relay. your fix is only temporary as it will reoccur. . the contact point should be burnished to give any kind of longer lasting repair and also add anti corrosion electrical paste.

When shopping at napa I find it better to look on line Fire Up -go in there with their part number and they can get anything. Also try next time to go to advanced auto or autozone as they all carry similar parts.

the standard continuous duty relay I used is typically found on websites for under $30 bucks. They use these on commercial boats for all types of applications from running heavy duty motors to lift lobster pots to net hauls. they work great. 300 amp inrush capacity and will do more work than can describe.

here is the typical part I used. still working.
That looks like the one I replaced mine with on my last coach. Do you have the look-up info for it? My info went with the coach when we traded.

Thanks,
Rick Y
Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Here is a link that actually references the Winnebago part number and the second link is to the new Winnebago Outdoor store.
http://www.amazon.com/Camdec-18226-W.../dp/B00OA7XQ2S
http://www.winnebagooutdoor.com/Camd.../dp/B00OA7XQ2S
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
cheep solonid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That looks like the one I replaced mine with on my last coach. Do you have the look-up info for it? My info went with the coach when we traded.

Thanks,
Rick Y
rick12V 150A CONTINUOUS DUTY SOLENOID RELAY FOR GOLF CARTS 1114208 this is found at amazon and else where
buy two at $16 and get free shipping.
when researching these series of solenoids . I found most were the same basic manufacture with same part number but sometimes differ net specifications but in all cases were identical items range from 15 buck to 85. the only difference was the mark up by the retailer. just google continuous duty solenid and view images. the go to the websites.

here is the amazon item
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JR0TWJD85N8MG6
Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

One thing i carry is a pre-made jumper with crimped lugs to bypass that relay should i ever need to. Cheap insurance just incase.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
rick12V 150A CONTINUOUS DUTY SOLENOID RELAY FOR GOLF CARTS 1114208 this is found at amazon and else where
buy two at $16 and get free shipping.
when researching these series of solenoids . I found most were the same basic manufacture with same part number but sometimes differ net specifications but in all cases were identical items range from 15 buck to 85. the only difference was the mark up by the retailer. just google continuous duty solenid and view images. the go to the websites.

here is the amazon item
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JR0TWJD85N8MG6
Yes, that is the style. I think the one I got was a bit heaver duty. On that coach it may have been overkill. On this coach I don't think so. The 6 AGM's can pull most of the 160 amps from the alternator when charging. The heavier contacts will dissipate more heat and handle the surge a little better. That must by why I paid around $35 for mine. But, I could have used your recommendation in the other coach.

Good post. Thanks for the info.

Rick Y

Tags
battery, charging