Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
RCB
Winnebago Camper

Switching from 30 amp to 50 amp

Recently purchased a 2014 Itasca 27n with 30 amp, we keep tripping the coach 30 amp main. Has anyone ever converted their rig from 30 amp to 50 amp? What are everyones thoughts?
RCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It won't be easy.

50A RV power is 220V. Your 30A RV is 110V. The easiest way is to just use one 110V leg of 50A power (exactly the same as using a 50 to 30A adapter) which will give you more amperage. But you need to change out the wiring from the shore power inlet to the main breaker on your panel panel and upgrade that breaker from 30A to 50A. May be easy, maybe not depending on how the wiring is run.

Why don't you first change out the breaker that is tripping. Maybe it is weak. Then try to manage your large AC loads. Don't try to run the microwave, A/C and the converter (while charging discharged batteries) at the same time.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

RV’s that have 50A input split the load over the 120v legs, there’s no devices in an RV actually using 240v

It’s costly to convert it unless you want to drill holes and pull wires everywhere, I’d put a simple load meter on it and see what’s up first.

30A can do a lot. 3600watts
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's a breakdown of the breakered branch circuits and their worst case draw:

AC (20 A breaker) 12 amps running, 22 amps for 1-3 seconds starting up

Fridge on AC (15 ) 3 amps running

Microwave / HWH (20) 12 amps with HWH on electric and running,
13 amps with Microwave running
(OEM power box disables HWH electric w MW running)

Converter / Charger (15) 5 amps when bulk charging coach batteries

The last 2 breakers (15 ea.) power general use outlets and use depends upon what you plug in. Built-in 120 volt AC TVs use less than 0.5 amp each when on.

Depending on what is happening when you trip, drives your options. If the trip is happening because of heavy loads like hair dryers on high in convenience outlets then it's really just a matter of remembering to switch off the electric hot water heater switch and not using the microwave during the use.

In my Vista, when running from 30 amps, I have to remember not to use the HWH / Microwave and the AC at the same time to avoid 30 amp pedestal breaker trips and also to avoid 4 KW Onan Generator internal 30 amp breaker trips.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you're truly interested, there are numerous threads on such a conversion. The expense depends a lot on what equipment you have and if it's already rated for 50A, such as: Automatic Transfer Switch (if you have one), your power manager, breaker panel, etc.

From what I've read, the biggest issue is running larger gauge wire from your shore power input to your AC breaker panel. If it's a relatively short, straight run, you're in luck.

I've been interested in doing this, but other priorities have taken precedence. Also, we like to camp in state parks and the like, where 50A shore power is pretty rare.

Here's one such thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-351367.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I modified my 2015 Vista 27N electrical system in several ways, I have posted several threads on the mods in this forum ...
  • Victron Battery Monitoring System, 500 amp shunt.
  • 12 volt power changed to 4 six volt golf cart batteries, 2 mounted in vented battery boxes on the driver's side. 2 mounted in the OEM 12 volt battery location.
  • Replaced 45 amp converter charger with 100 amp converter charger. Relocated to former 1000 watt OEM inverter location.
  • Replaced 1000 watt OEM inverter with 3000 watt PSW inverter, located on front wall of the passenger side basement compartment.
  • Fed 120 volt output of 3000 watt PSW inverter to multiple small automatic transfer switches and one manual transfer switch, one per load to be fed by inverter.
  • 960 watts of solar panels, 60 amp solar charger controller.
  • TRW Surge Guard Hard Wired In-line power protector.
  • Modified AC power arrangement to allow power to be fed in from the OEM Onan 4 Kw generator or 30 amp OEM shore power cable, or thru multiple shore cables in any combination of up to 2 30 amp shore power cables and 1 15 amp shore power cable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago Vista Modified Power Arrangement.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	176374  
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I added another power cord to my rear ac so at most campground pedstal they always have a 15 amp plug. So everything else I run has 30 amps. It is wired for both ac to run on the generator. $400 investment
Old 12-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Recently purchased a 2014 Itasca 27n with 30 amp, we keep tripping the coach 30 amp main. Has anyone ever converted their rig from 30 amp to 50 amp? What are everyones thoughts?
I would first review what was going on when the breaker trips. It is not at all unusual for breakers to become weak and trip too easily, so if you are having lots of trouble with the breaker and you don't feel you are using too much power at the time, the best way to avoid major expense and trouble is to replace the breaker!

One point that makes this jump up in my thinking is that what trips the 30 amp in your RV, has already gone through a 30 amp breaker on the power pole and that one did not trip?

Five dollars and less than an hour ( if confused) can tell you if you have a real problem with the way you use the RV, have a weak breaker , etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...30CP/202353319
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

30A @ 110V to 120V AC is 3,300 to 3,600 watts, which is hard to miss if you're not running your A/C.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Will take some work and caution but it was an option. Start here:https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi...ire_183486.pdf
Both 30A and 50A service panels are shown.
Your generator may present some challenges. If you wire in a ATS your generator will only be a L1 service or 120V. 50A, as others have stated, is 240V L1/L2/N or 120V/N/120V.
https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi...ire_185722.pdf for wire routing but only shows 30A service panel.
Here is a diagram for 50A service:https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi...ire_185234.pdf

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Rick Y
Old 12-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
RCB
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your thoughts
RCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you first change out the breaker that is tripping. Maybe it is weak. Then try to manage your large AC loads. Don't try to run the microwave, A/C and the converter (while charging discharged batteries) at the same time.

David[/QUOTE]

Agreed
aa318906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #13

RCB: Does your breaker only trip when your AC compressor starts?

If so, you might first verify your AC came with a Hard Start Kit and if not, then add one.

...And yes, if that breaker has been tripping a lot over time, then you can replace it for ~$15 very easily.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Is the breaker tripping at all parks, or just one? You might check the park power, many operate at low voltage.

Interesting thing about low voltage, we have seen many parks running 105 to 110 at high peak times, or even all the time. (and some even lower)

Assuming equal wattage draw from your RV's equipment, your Amp draw will be a bit higher at low voltage. So even though 30amp is what you think you might be pulling, it might be 33-35amps, and tripping breakers.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I had a similar problem, when I cut my air on. Nothing else was running that drew a lot of amps. Paid dealer $100.00 to be told nothing was wrong. Finally called Winnebago Ind. and the rep told me the MH was built to work on a 30 amp system. He told me to check my breakers for loose wiring, or a bad breaker.
Sure enough one of the breakers had a poor wire connection. I tightened it up,
and that solved the problem. So I suggest checking all your wire connections before spending a lot of money to convert.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

As always, lots of good shares. Lots of great personal experience.
Just to make it clear, going from 30A to 50A is actually going form 30A in, to two 25A lines in, not a single 50A. That's why it's not straightforward.
That's why you need not just a new line in. You need a new panel that splits your load into two no more that 25A divisions. And if your AC pulls 15A, that only leaves 10A on that side, so you better not plug in a hair dryer on that circuit at the same time it's pulling 1ts 15A.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
As always, lots of good shares. Lots of great personal experience.
Just to make it clear, going from 30A to 50A is actually going form 30A in, to two 25A lines in, not a single 50A. That's why it's not straightforward.
That's why you need not just a new line in. You need a new panel that splits your load into two no more that 25A divisions. And if your AC pulls 15A, that only leaves 10A on that side, so you better not plug in a hair dryer on that circuit at the same time it's pulling 1ts 15A.
I am not certain you have thought this through. Please forgive my criticism. A 30A service is a 120V feed at 30A. A 50A feed is a 240V with neutral feed at 50A per leg or 100A available vs 30A.

Happy New Years and happy trails.
Rick Y
Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

oops, my bad.

Thanks Rick. I stand corrected. My problem is I'd gotten bad info, which I'd accepted as fact; and then repeated. (Which never happens on the Web right?. ) I understood the neutral etc. But didn't have the amperages right.
Wow! that's a lot more power available, and I'm thinking about the generator you'd have to have to replicate it in your RV.
As to not 240V not normally used; I'd bet some guys out there are hauling around their small 240v wire feed welder, with a plug wired in for it.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
Thanks Rick. I stand corrected. My problem is I'd gotten bad info, which I'd accepted as fact; and then repeated. (Which never happens on the Web right?. ) I understood the neutral etc. But didn't have the amperages right.
Wow! that's a lot more power available, and I'm thinking about the generator you'd have to have to replicate it in your RV.
As to not 240V not normally used; I'd bet some guys out there are hauling around their small 240v wire feed welder, with a plug wired in for it.
Not a problem. We learn from the sources we have available. It's a good idea to seek a second opinion. This has happened to me and I have had to correct my thinking as you have. It's a good thing.
About the generator. Onan has had an inverter 3 phase generator for a long time now. What is strange is that it produces 2ea 120V lines in phase. That is, if you measure the voltage between the two feeds the reading is ZERO. Each leg has its own neutral. My guess is this a protection against the possibility of a common neutral failure from the generator. The neutral is not common. There is no 240V available from the generator as it is configured for RVers.
I hope this info is not confusing. I had a hard time getting this concept into my head. I came from a background of commercial generators and these RV things just don't work under those rules. RV generators are an amazing invention.
Happy trails.
Rick Y

Tags
switch