Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Surround sound system

I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser that has the stock surround sound system in it. I took out the old 200 lb tv and replaced it with a HD tv. 32 inch. How do I get the surround sound system hooked back up to the new tv? If I turn the switch on the dash from radio to tv the sound system will work but I have no way to control the volume. On the old tv the surround sound would work when I used the old tv remote. Also when I have the tv on Dish Network that remote control would work the surround sound system as well. Now when I turn on the tv to Dish Network I can change channels like normal but I can not get the volume to go up or down... The remote to the new HDTV will work the tv speaker and change channel like it suspose to but then when I switch the surround sound on it will come on but I can not control the volume of any remotes now.. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong??? Thanks for any and all advice on the delema..................KJD
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the audio output of the new TV doesn't have adjustable volume you will probably need to connect up the sound system directly the the speaker wires in the new TV, just like Winnebago did with your original TV.

If you take a look at this thread of mine you can see how I did that when I replaced my front TV: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
If the audio output of the new TV doesn't have adjustable volume you will probably need to connect up the sound system directly the the speaker wires in the new TV, just like Winnebago did with your original TV.

If you take a look at this thread of mine you can see how I did that when I replaced my front TV: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)
Hey Chris,
I just re-looked at your thread on your TV replacement and, to this day, it's still one of the nicest TV replacement jobs I've seen. I was wondering. Since you did this job that long ago, what, if anything, would you change in any part of this operation? That is, would you go for a different spec TV? Would you do anything different in the wiring?

One of the reasons I ask about all this is, my surround system works pretty good with the radio but, when it comes to supplying sound for the TV, it's poor at best. It works with the TV but, you darn near have to put your ear within a few inches of those tiny speakers above the fridge and, above table and chairs to really hear the TV.

I'm not a sound expert, not by any means so, this kind of stuff is light years over my head. If I can weld it, or wood work, or brakes or just about anything mechanical, that's more in my league but, ohms, impedance and all that, you might as well be throwing calculus at me.

So to you and the OP here, nice job and, I'm ready to take on this same project. I've been putting it off for long enough and, I'm just afraid that elephant of a TV (original Sony) is going to fall out one of these days and crush us three, the wife, DOG and me, while were driving on some of Americas really FINE super smooth roads, if you know what I mean.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Chris,
I just re-looked at your thread on your TV replacement and, to this day, it's still one of the nicest TV replacement jobs I've seen. I was wondering. Since you did this job that long ago, what, if anything, would you change in any part of this operation? That is, would you go for a different spec TV? Would you do anything different in the wiring?

One of the reasons I ask about all this is, my surround system works pretty good with the radio but, when it comes to supplying sound for the TV, it's poor at best. It works with the TV but, you darn near have to put your ear within a few inches of those tiny speakers above the fridge and, above table and chairs to really hear the TV.

I'm not a sound expert, not by any means so, this kind of stuff is light years over my head. If I can weld it, or wood work, or brakes or just about anything mechanical, that's more in my league but, ohms, impedance and all that, you might as well be throwing calculus at me.

So to you and the OP here, nice job and, I'm ready to take on this same project. I've been putting it off for long enough and, I'm just afraid that elephant of a TV (original Sony) is going to fall out one of these days and crush us three, the wife, DOG and me, while were driving on some of Americas really FINE super smooth roads, if you know what I mean.
Scott
Hi Scott,

I'm still very happy with the TV install. It's 1080p so it supports a nice HD picture, it's LED so its light and its power consumption is low, and it fits quite nicely in the cabinet. The Winnebago surround sound system works well with it. I don't think of anything I would want to change.

Btw, I don't think there's any risk of your OEM Sony falling out--it might squeak a bit, but it's held in very securely in a steel cage with a very sturdy steel bar/bracket holding it down.

-Chris

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had my old TV removed and replaced with a Vizio at the Winnebago Factory in Forest City. They advised me that Vizio has an analog variable output that their sound system plugs into. The sound system works exactly like the old one did. I am a happy camper.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Hi Scott,

I'm still very happy with the TV install. It's 1080p so it supports a nice HD picture, it's LED so its light and its power consumption is low, and it fits quite nicely in the cabinet. The Winnebago surround sound system works well with it. I don't think of anything I would want to change.

Btw, I don't think there's any risk of your OEM Sony falling out--it might squeak a bit, but it's held in very securely in a steel cage with a very sturdy steel bar/bracket holding it down.

-Chris
Hey Chris,
I surely want to thank your for getting back to me on this. I'm going to start looking for a replacement TV soon. I was being a bit sarcastic on the falling out of our present dinosaur TV. I've had that monster out of there, trying to re-secure it to eliminate some of the "squeaks" you mentioned. So far, they're still at bay. But, I'm anxiously awaiting the TV change-out so, we're on the hunt.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I had my old TV removed and replaced with a Vizio at the Winnebago Factory in Forest City. They advised me that Vizio has an analog variable output that their sound system plugs into. The sound system works exactly like the old one did. I am a happy camper.

Don

I found out the same. The key is to get a tv with a VARIABLE AUDIO OUTPUT. We have a Vizio also.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I replaced mine with a Samsung 32" a year ago and had the same sound problem KJD has. I finally called a company that re configures TV's for the RV industry and they said I need to solder the surround wires onto the speakers in the tv. It is easy to do and it works perfectly.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I replaced mine with a Samsung 32" a year ago and had the same sound problem KJD has. I finally called a company that re configures TV's for the RV industry and they said I need to solder the surround wires onto the speakers in the tv. It is easy to do and it works perfectly.

I guess they are hoping the tv amp has enough juice to drive the surround speakers or are you going from the tv to the receiver?
Diagram?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
KJD
Winnebago Camper

That's is what I had to do to get the sound to come thru the speakers instead of just the tv speakers. The one thing I still haven't quite figured out is on the original tv I could "mute" the tv speakers and just use the surround sound speakers. Now on the new one I have to leave the tv speakers on to adjust the volume on the surround sound. Not a real deal breaker it is just a little troublesome .
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Last month I purchased a Pyle PFA 300 class T amplifier from Amazon for $29.99. This unit in addition to solving my TV volume issues also provided a volume control for my DVD and PC.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I used a Vizio also because of the variable audio out. I looked hard at the Insignia (some models) because it could run on 12 volts. It would have been nice to not have to run the inverter for TV but the audio won out.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had a 2008 117lb TV in my MH and swapped it out for a 40lb LED. Unfortunately the new TV does not have the Red/White audio output jacks on the back that would have plugged directly into my surround sound system. I did not opt to take the back off and solder the speakers. One, because the TV was already mounted, and two I'm lazy that way.

The RCA connector (Red/White) output of the old TV was controlled by the volume control. In newer configurations it may be fixed output which would not be controlled by the volume control. However, in many of the newer televisions you can go into settings on the TV and set up whether it is fixed or variable output, so give that a try.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
Last month I purchased a Pyle PFA 300 class T amplifier from Amazon for $29.99. This unit in addition to solving my TV volume issues also provided a volume control for my DVD and PC.
BINGO! I went through this a year ago and was finally clued-in to these 12V amplifiers. They work very well. I added a small lighted on/off switch in the 12V feed line for storage purposes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote