Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OK, I just received my Surge Guard surge protector and I was reading the instructions and I see you can also have the MH protected from the generator power. If you want to do this you have to go through a transfer switch. My question is is there already a transfer switch on the MH or is this something I have to by in addition too. If there is already a transfer switch where is it? If not, can someone give me a model number or other information. We have an 08 Meridian. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Hans
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK, I just received my Surge Guard surge protector and I was reading the instructions and I see you can also have the MH protected from the generator power. If you want to do this you have to go through a transfer switch. My question is is there already a transfer switch on the MH or is this something I have to by in addition too. If there is already a transfer switch where is it? If not, can someone give me a model number or other information. We have an 08 Meridian. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Hans
Old 06-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

You have a transfer switch.

It transfers the coach from the generator to shore power, and vice versa.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

moldmkr ...

The transfer switch on my '04 Journey is a "galvanized" rectangular box in the electrical bay. It is visible in the pictures {here}

The shore cord goes into the box. There is also a very heavy cord coming from the genset that goes in the same box ...

When I plug my shore cord in ... if I wait about 5 seconds I can hear the transfer switch do it's thing ...

I think you probably have a similiar transfer switch in the same bay ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I thought about installing my Surge Guard on the coach side of the transfer switch (protects shore power and gen power), but installed it to where it is just in-line with the shore-power side of the transfer switch.

The transfer switch is just a relay with two inputs and one output. One input is the shore power cord, one input is the generator output and the output is the coach electrical system.

Your choice as to where you wire it. I thought the probability was very low of the generator producing spikes (highly unlikely), or high/low voltage (more likely in the scheme of things) so it is just wired on the shore power side of the switch.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with John, I have been told that the Onan Quiet Diesel Inverter generators are more accurate and stable than the power grid will ever be and do not feel the need to worry about these generators electrical output.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I did the same as suggested above -- I hard wired the SurgeGuard to the shore power input -- the generator is not that big of a threat in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I installed my Surgeguard after the transfer switch because I had just read a posting somewhere of a generator going south and frying much of the coach circuitry. I recognized that it was non-standard but elected to do it anyway.

The only down-side for me is that the gen has a standard delay before connecting to the house to protect the a/c units and the Surgeguard has the same protection built in. They are additive so it takes twice as long to get electricity from the generator now as it does to get it from the shore pedestal. I don't mind though.

I have had mine mounted for three years now.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Not a product or store plug but Camping World has the 30 AMP hard wired Surge Protector on sale for $190 US.(Presidents Club price) We've been looking for a while and this is the best price we've seen. JUST FYI.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

John's method is the method of choice. Altho it can be done either way and I echo everything John said. (He sometimes says things that I don't know what he is saying, so I don't echo.)

That sale price is fantastic as I think I paid over 300 for mine..Everyone should have one and its the best insurance you can have. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I am in the process of choosing and installing a surgeguard on my coach. I will hook mine up after the transfer switch. The onan generator in my coach "came apart" when the magnets came unglued from the rotor. Although Cummins paid for most of the repair they refused to pay for the damage to the components that were damaged. It cost me over $1000 for those repairs. To be on the safe side mine will be hooked in after the transfer switch. Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Camping World runs a special every so often on SurgeGuard, so watch and save a bunch like we did.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote