Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

The portable is the most convenient. The hard wired are in the coach and protected from the weather and possible theft. When you use the portable there is one plug and receptacle exposed to weather. With the hard wired you can have a remote meter in the inside for looking at faults and levels.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
As much as I hate to I'll kind of show my real ignorance on the subject and ask which does the job better or is considered better doing the job a permanent mount with or without in house remote read out or the portable on the post type?

I'm interested in which does the most or best versus what's easier to take from one MH to another.

I don't have one and need one with in the next week or two so the portable would be better but I can get one wired in as well without much problem.
i have been happily using my portable surge protector for about 3 years. see my previous post #9 on this thread for more info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
As much as I hate to I'll kind of show my real ignorance on the subject and ask which does the job better or is considered better doing the job a permanent mount with or without in house remote read out or the portable on the post type?

I'm interested in which does the most or best versus what's easier to take from one MH to another.

I don't have one and need one with in the next week or two so the portable would be better but I can get one wired in as well without much problem.
There is no difference in protection between hard wired and portable of the same manufacturer. There are however, differences between manufacturers.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I made my hard wired SurgeGuard removable. It allows me the security but can also be removed and bypassed if necessary.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Since my 50A twist plug sits right up at the top of an extremely small cord box and just as hard to get to and get it plugged in I've been really toying with the idea of cutting my power cord and installing one of these HW50C's in the cord like shown above.

Plus no need to cut the coach wiring, either way I do it it's getting time it needs to be done the snow is just about all gone here and it won't be that much longer before all the salt left on the road is washed away.

Thank you all for your answers.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Interesting side note: I have seen parks that do, in fact, have surge protection...

Is it necessary.. In theory no, in practice yes Cheap insurance.

Now: Last week I was parked on site 32 at the Twin Lakes COE park in Pendelton SC. Right next to me was the main power panel for that section of the park (it's between 32 and 33) on next to the breaker box was a smaller box with two LED type lights on it..... That box is a "Mains" type surge protector.

The same model I have installed in this motor home.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Surge Guard

I just installed the hardwired model 34560 in our coach. The installation was fairly easy and only took less than two hours. I elected the hardwired model because I thought the portable one would be easier to have stolen and I thought that it might require remembering to hook it up. If we sell our coach, it will not take long to remove it for the next one. After checking prices, I was able to buy this one on EBay for $269.
agiledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

How about power\line conditioners for the generator or shore power as well ?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
How about power\line conditioners for the generator or shore power as well ?
Just depends on where you mount it. Mine is between shore/ Generator and the house elect.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote