Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I'm just wondering why motorhome manufacturers such as winnebago don't install surge protection as part of their standard wiring. Considering the fact that most motorhomes are used in different locations all of the time I would think that it would be at least a factory option when you buy a new coach.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm just wondering why motorhome manufacturers such as winnebago don't install surge protection as part of their standard wiring. Considering the fact that most motorhomes are used in different locations all of the time I would think that it would be at least a factory option when you buy a new coach.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

COST...and probably a area that they don't want to get into..
If they furnished and installed a protector and then it didn't protect they would be libel and they have enough problems. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I believe it is cost...but you would think they would learn...I know 3 people that have had over $3000 damage from not having them on their Winebago coaches and the cause was the campground they stayed in. Each owner's Winnebago was still under warranty and Winnebago replaced all the damaged electrical devices under warranty, because they did not know what caused the failure...but the owner's did. Country Coach and Monaco upper lines have them installed

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Interesting...these aren't all that expensive. The best of them, the Progressive Industries HW 50C, is about $380 plus installation, which can be done for $50-75 if you catch them at a rally. It's some of the cheapest insurance out there for a MH. They aren't that difficult to install if you're good with hand tools and understand how to connect wire A to connection B and can follow basic installation instructions.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As BigRed1 said, they are not that hard to install. I installed the Progressive EMS-HW50C myself, and other than taking the time to make sure I hooked up the wires on the right sides and in the right order, the hardest part was dealing with the thickness on the wires involved. Now that it is completed, I have been very pleased with its performance. Would I do it again? Absolutely! The things I like best about it is that all the wiring connections are contained within the unit, there are no exposed connections unlike the SurgeGuard model, and I like being able to know what is happening on each leg of the 50Amp supply.

If you are looking at the SurgeGuard 50amp model, be aware that not all of the 50amp versions have the keyed by-pass. I know someone who purchased one from a local dealer and it came without the by-pass key feature. As a result, you would have to remove the unit and rewire your supply line in order to know if it was one of the problems if you are having electrical issues. The Progressive unit uses a simple slide switch to turn it off and by-pass it.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I wanted to have everything on 50amp plugs for the best flexability. My Surge Guard has the ByPass Key, but in addition, if need be it can also be unpluged and removed for easy service.

Pics below in "Web's Stuff" folder
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

BIGRED1, where did you install the remote panel?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sammie, for now it's installed in the shore power cord bay with the transfer switch and EMS. I plan to get the dual remote set-up and install a second one inside my coach, most likely on the wall of the last cabinet before the bedroom. The water heater is in the bottom of that cabinet and is a convenient place to come up through the floor and mount the display.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote