Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Surge Protector Yes or No?

We have a 2016 Winnebago Navion and are wondering whether or not adding a surge proctor is necessary. A friend told us that there is one built in to the invertor on our rig and we are unable to validate this. Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Team

You need more than a simple 'Surge Protector" you need and EMS - Energy Management System and the simple answer is YES. You need it.

You can use a portable model (that's what I use) or you can add a built in model but it does a lot more than protect you against surges. It protects against voltage fluctuations, power surges and incorrectly wired shore power pedestals. And, when it detects a problem it disconnects you from the bad stuff automatically.

There are a number of good EMS devices on the market. This one is one of the most popular and most trusted:'

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-S.../dp/B01N0W4CZ8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 12.21.02 PM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	182023  
Old 02-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by auction mama View Post
We have a 2016 Winnebago Navion and are wondering whether or not adding a surge proctor is necessary. A friend told us that there is one built in to the invertor on our rig and we are unable to validate this. Thoughts anyone?
Perhaps what your friend is referring to is a GFCI outlet built into the Inverter? IDK, but mine has one.

That’s not the same as a surge protector that protects the entire 120v system. Do a quick search on this forum and I don’t remember seeing anyone saying you shouldn’t bother with one. If you do see a post like that, ignore it.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Definitely get a good EMS. Assuming you have room in your electrical bay, go for a hard-wired EMS. With it you won't have to plug anything in, won't lose it or have it stolen.

One of the most popular and well-regarded manufacturer is Progressive. They make both 30A and 50A portable hard-wired units. They're available from a number of sources, including Amazon:

EMS-HW50C

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...003AN1UA8?th=1

For increased protection, many go for a Hughes Autoformer. They're more expensive but, in addition to surge protection, they will protect against and boost low voltage.

https://hughesautoformers.com/

Note that the Hughes Autoformer is a portable unit designed to be used at the power pedestal. You're not going to want to run low voltage through your extension cord prior to the unit since the whole purpose is to reduce the amperage draw due to low voltage. I wouldn't want to leave a $766 piece of equipment outside 24/7. I couldn't find anything on their site or in the operator manual to indicate any differently. They sell a security cable that looks pretty much like a locking bicycle cable.

With regard to the Hughes Autoformer, a lot will depend on your degree of exposure. I can see where a full-timer, using shore power 365 days a year might want to to that route.

Personally, I have the hard-wired 30A Progressive EMS (I only have 30A shore power) that I installed after losing a microwave to a power surge.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The other big player is the TRC Surge Guard. The name is deceptive as it is in fact an ems just as the Progressive unit is, and comes in both potable & hardwired models. Mine has saved me countless times in the past 18 years.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Note that the Hughes Autoformer is a portable unit designed to be used at the power pedestal. You're not going to want to run low voltage through your extension cord prior to the unit since the whole purpose is to reduce the amperage draw due to low voltage. I wouldn't want to leave a $766 piece of equipment outside 24/7. I couldn't find anything on their site or in the operator manual to indicate any differently. They sell a security cable that looks pretty much like a locking bicycle cable.
Not to be argumentative, but rather trying to clarify here. Insofar as I can see, adding it into the stored bay is fine, they even mention it in their video, (at 1:23), that it will also correct for any drop in line voltage. So actually, in a locked bay closer to your connections appears to be better, and I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be.

The price is $766.00 for a 50 amp and $462 for the 30 amp.

And the cable lock is included, though also sold separately. Not that you’d need one if you stored in your power bay, and you’re right—it’s a simple bicycle style lock—I wouldn’t trust it if I needed to but at least someone would have to have some tools as well as the nerve to steal it…

https://hughesautoformers.com/autofo...an-autoformer/
Old 02-21-2022, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

An EMS is nice but still leaves you open to damage from marginal brown outs over the long term along with the resulting high cost equipment failure and when things get too far out of spec shuts you down completely leaving you with a blackout or having to bypass it. The Hughes Autoformer to me is far superior since it corrects low voltage plus provides the EMS diagnostic functions. More often than surges and extreme events you will be facing marginal low voltage in most camps which will slowly destroy your start capacitors, electric motors, controller boards, etc, etc. My coach has not had a single 120 volt item fail in the decade since I installed the Autoformer however prior to that there were fairly regular replacements of start capacitors, blower motors, etc, etc so the Autoformer has paid for itself many times over. Mine is permanently mounted in the electrical bay on a standoff hanging bracket that allows airflow on all four sides along with the top and bottom.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Not to be argumentative, but rather trying to clarify here. Insofar as I can see, adding it into the stored bay is fine, they even mention it in their video, (at 1:23), that it will also correct for any drop in line voltage. So actually, in a locked bay closer to your connections appears to be better, and I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be.
That's good to know. I didn't watch the video, I just looked at the manual, which was pretty lean on details.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When you depend on an outside source for anything, you don't know what you are getting. Be it water or electricity.
I swear by PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES surge protector to keep our motorhomes safe and have for years. Original purchaser of one of their units has an unbeatable warranty. We had to replace our first one no hassle at all. This is the second motorhome we have had one in 2014 Sunstar, and I WOULD NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We have had the original PT-50C and it has saved us several times in campgrounds with low voltage problems, and one time a high voltage problem. The PT-50C was the portable one set up at the pedestal. It is now the PT-30X or PT-50X, and the 50X is our present one, again set up at the pedistal..

As does happen in any manufacturing process, well, "THINGS" happen. Progressive industries was quick to ship us a new PT-50X without question. Just take some pictures of the old one and send the pictures to them. Didn't even have to send the old one back. They just asked to cut the cord and toss it, which I did.

I opted to go with the portable one and I'm glad I did. Three RV's later and I never had to bust my back or pay to have the semi-permanent one installed. In those nefarious places that we come across, only occasionally, I have a pretty thick chain padlocked and wrapped around the PT-50X to keep it from walking away. We have never had a problem with one escaping the pedestal, chained or unchained.

In regards to Auction Mama, the Original Poster (OP), you should be able to see the inverter. They are typically not hidden. Even if it is in a difficult place, use your camera and take a picture of the front of it. The information will be there and if the word SURGE appears then it has a built in surge protector, like my bigger Winnebago has. And I still use a second one, Progressive Industires.

I'm not exactly sure how the manufacturer's surge protector works but in the times that my Progressive Industries saved me the built in one never tripped, to my knowledge.

Also, you can call Winnebago, and have your serial # handy, and and ask them what you have.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a Hughes Autoformer PWD30-EPO and so far so good.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30-epo/

A few nice things about it:

1. Bluetooth so you can monitor it from your phone, tablet, etc.
2. Lock ring on the cable so you can use a bicycle-style lock to secure it to the pedestal
3. Replaceable surge module, if it fails it's user-replaceable and fairly inexpensive

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ule-pwd30-epo/

So in theory, assuming the company remains in business and continues selling the replacement surge module, chances are I won't have to buy another entire device if the surge protection fails, just replace the module.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I was camped in Wyoming and the lights went out during a storm. Coming morning I went checking and my surge protector was fried. One prong was burnt off the plug even. I turned the pedestal off and got the prong out with difficulty. A couple of others had power so I tried plugging in directly and had power. That surge protector saved us and I won't do without one.
Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Unplug during storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChckNDee View Post
I was camped in Wyoming and the lights went out during a storm. Coming morning I went checking and my surge protector was fried. One prong was burnt off the plug even. I turned the pedestal off and got the prong out with difficulty. A couple of others had power so I tried plugging in directly and had power. That surge protector saved us and I won't do without one.
Chuck
We got caught in a really violent storm in Florida last year. Decided to unplug from the shore power and bring the surge protector in out of the storm. Maybe it wasn't necessary, but I felt a lot better not being plugged in in that bad of a storm.