Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protector Queston

I was going to order a SouthWire model 34931 Surge Protector....However, nobody seems to have any in stock.

Then I go to Ebay and there are a lot of what seems to be identical but they are listed as a "TRC model 34931 Surge Protector". Similar price, but what is the difference?

BTW, are any of these surge protectors UL, CSA, CUL listed? I don't see it mentioned, but is this a problem at any RV parks?

Thanks,
Scotty,
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hey, I think one is older stock, TRC
I believe they used the southwire name later on. same model/spec, I have a southwire model

The sticker or spec should show what certifications or standards they meet, but southwire being a pretty big outfit I suspect they have some of those.

I think RV parks care about being safe, not what standard is printed on the equipment. lots of people mess with wiring that should not, also something being sold on amazon...not always safe
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There are counterfeit items sold on eBay and on Amazon and so I would pay more to have a better chance o fgetting the real deal. The main advantage with these devices is having a way to quickly verify that the pedestal is wired correctly and that their is no stray current on the ground wire.

In the event of an electrical storm I would disconnect from the pedestal and not rely on the surge protector. A line conditioner such as the Hughes Autoformer provides a great deal more surge protection as well as protection against voltage sags. They are a good investment to protect your appliances and other electronic devices and not have to deal with repairs or replacing them while traveling.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I was going to order a SouthWire model 34931 Surge Protector....However, nobody seems to have any in stock.

Then I go to Ebay and there are a lot of what seems to be identical but they are listed as a "TRC model 34931 Surge Protector". Similar price, but what is the difference?

BTW, are any of these surge protectors UL, CSA, CUL listed? I don't see it mentioned, but is this a problem at any RV parks?

Thanks,
Scotty,
Scotty

Why not go with this? Less expensive and easier in the long run

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...ag=googhydr-20
Old 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Scotty

Why not go with this? Less expensive and easier in the long run

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...ag=googhydr-20
Corey, I agree with you. That hardwired surge protector does seem to me to be the way to go, plus having the remote display being hardwired makes it better too. And I understand that combo is even less expensive than the comparable portable package. That's a win/win in my book, and is doubtless where I will end up.

For initially testing the pedestal at any RV site to see if it is wired correctly - which seems to be the main advantage of the portable surge protector - I would just as soon rely on a $20.00 plug in receptacle tester backed up with a VOM.

So why was I looking at a portable unit for myself? Simple.....I've got one arm in a sling and can RV but can't do any work until the shoulder mends.... if it does so.

How is your new RV?
Scotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This what I have on my 2014 Vista 35F. I love it. Saved me at least one time. Also had one on my previous unit.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good Luck with the shoulder!

I drove the new to me Navion home and it has been sitting in parking lot since. Do have an AC problem where it is being blocked from blowing every 20 minutes or so,,,have to have it checked out. Other than that, I have been busy doing mods,,,sway bar, sumo springs, put 12v outlets in TV cabinet for roku and wifi, did the trikl start and solenoid upgrade under the seat. Taking it out next week for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Surge Protector

I bought a Progressive Industries 30amp Surge protector a little over two years ago. Recently I had a problem with it. I contacted the coompany and no arguments, no discussion, and no returns....they just sent me a new one.....Guess who has my vote...LIFETIME WARRANTY
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another vote for a hard-wired Progressive suppressor.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

So why was I looking at a portable unit for myself? Simple.....I've got one arm in a sling and can RV but can't do any work until the shoulder mends.... if it does so.
Scotty
I hope things go well with your shoulder. I tore my right rotator cuff in July 2019, had surgery in Aug. It took pretty much a year before I was back to anything close to normal.

I was climbing down from cleaning my MH's roof before installing some solar panels when I slipped and fell. My solar panels are still waiting to be installed.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I hope things go well with your shoulder. I tore my right rotator cuff in July 2019, had surgery in Aug.
I feel your pain - I was reaching under a slide to get something out of a basement compartment... reaching down and back and I felt something tear in my shoulder.

I tried ice and heat and Advil and sleeping on my back with my arm raised on a pillow and it never seemed to improve. Went to an Orthopedic dr and he suggested waiting a good while before going the surgical route. An MRI said, "it might fix itself."

I hurt the shoulder in Aug, 2019 and 16-months later I'm 98% healed. Still sleeping on my back with my arm propped up, still taking Advil morning and night. But the doctor said I got lucky because the surgery is twice again worse.

At 70 everything seems to injure easily and heal ever so slowly.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
At 70 everything seems to injure easily and heal ever so slowly.
Be careful with the Advil, it has bad, long term side-effects. I switched to Tylenol years ago. It's not always as effective but your body will thank you.

I was lucky with my surgery. I had a great surgeon, but even he was surprised that my results were so good since I had a pretty bad tear.

My other problem is that my skin is so fragile now I come in bleeding pretty much every time I work on something. I'm keeping the "bandaid" companies in business.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Site Team

I know, right? My wife is constantly saying, "Your bleeding!" and I feel nothing yet there's blood on my arm or legs somewhere.

But go to a doctor for any kind of poking and I feel every bit of it. I can't figure out what that's true.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

On the other hand, we're still physically capable of doing stuff.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Another vote for a hard-wired Progressive suppressor.
And another vote for Progressive although I use the portable.