Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protector advice needed

I have a 2014 Navion Do I need a surge Protector ? If so what kind ?
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If you intend to plug into power, IMO you are simply running the risk of burning up some real expensive stuff. First thing I bought with first motorhome was Progressive Industries Built-in Surge Protector. Since, transferring it is part of the sales deal. For sure we've needed at least half a dozen times. Spikes and drops. Either one is tough on stuff.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnff View Post

I believe your coach is 30 amp. This is the best "bang for the buck" on the market and is a necessity, in my opinion of course:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/439d5a_85c2...5eb1c98f08.pdf

It's also available as a hard wired unit:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-hw50c/cjk6

The pricing here can be beaten substantially by shopping.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnff View Post
need? I don't think you need a surge protector. we went 30-years without one and experienced but one problem with flaky power at a CG and I discovered that before we plugged in by checking power with a voltage meter.

but i do think it's a good idea to have one. we added a Progressive Industries 50-amp surge protector on our new MH because we think it's relatively cheap insurance compared to the damage that can be done.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Had this unit installed on our coach. After a bad electrical experience at our 1st overnight trip ( shore power outlet spiking to much ) i went with this unit. They do make portable ones also.

This is a good insurance policy !!

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It's like insurance. Ya don't need it until ya need it
Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C in my '07 View H. It is good insurance I think. I paid $222 from Tweetys. I made a new mounting board for the EMS and the generator out receptacle and re-mounted everything. I ran the cord inside for the remote and mounted it with the other control panels. It shows volts, cycles, amps and error codes. Also has a time delay to protect the A/C in the case of a power outage/restore situation. You can install a jumper on a circuit board to reduce the time delay to 15 seconds if your installed A/C has its own time delay built in.

Charles
Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Up until we bought the present Magna last year we've never had any power protection other than a transformer to boost low voltage and it wasn't usable with a 50 amp rig and that was traded off in 2000.
Have never lost a thing from low or high voltage, nor a bad ground in all those years. But now that we have it built in I've found two places that wouldn't let power through in just one year, both on the same maiden trip.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

One of my first mods was to install a 50 Amp built-in unit from Progressive Industries. It has saved us a couple times in 18 months. I understand that many folks have never had one in decades of RVing and never had an issue, other people have had the other experience. I look at it as just insurance. When I was young and rented a house, had a house fire. Lucky I had renters insurance and all was fully covered by USAA. Other folks have not been as lucky. Its all about how you like to manage risks.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

After purchasing our Winnebago, I purchased a portable 30 amp Progressive Industries unit. All it would take is one power problem and the repair costs could far exceed the cost of the PI unit. Our standard procedure is to check the electrical power before disconnecting and setting up our trailer.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Progressive is probably the most well-known. TRC would be good also. They have both portable & hard-wired models. We have used one for about 12 years now after low power damaged the heat pump. They analyze the power source when you plug in and will not connect if there is a problem ...and they disconnect if a problem develops later. Ours has alerted us to problems many times. And when it was destroyed by a lightning strike, TRC replaced it at n/c.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for all the good information . I will be getting one ASAP
Old 06-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

One last tip.....be sure to plan where you want it placed if you get a hard wired one. I had one put in my power bay. I didn't specify where I wanted it positioned and they put it where it was most convenient for the installer. It get's in the way of my shore line when I wind it up. Good luck!
Sofakleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My coach did not come with a surge protector and from 2008-2013 we were lucky. We were staying at a campground up in Michigan that had low voltage and I bought a Autotransformer to bring the voltage up which solved that problem but still not protected by surge or polarity.

Then in 2013, while the coach was plugged into a 20 amp outlet, we had a lightening strike on the pole that feeds the house. It took out a TV in the house but also burnt my EMS circuit board which cost ~$450 to replace.

I bought a Progressive Industries Surge protector HW50C with remote display. On one trip it caught low voltage and reversed polarity

I would not have another coach without a surge protector.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
need? I don't think you need a surge protector. we went 30-years without one and experienced but one problem with flaky power at a CG and I discovered that before we plugged in by checking power with a voltage meter.
Common statement. And you do not need vehicle insurance if you never had an accident.

The problem with metering a power pole is that it is done without a load. A floating neutral problem with never be found with a meter. Low available current will only show under a load.

Low voltage doesn't always have an immediate effect. Motors, like in AC units, will just degrade sooner.

Mis-wired 30 receptacles with the Hot and Neutral happen too often but park receptacles are seldom replaced by an electrician.

With the quality of most park wiring, an EMS is just plain smart.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Low and high voltage is not always present when you first plug in. It can and does happen sometime afterwards.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I installed a Progressive EMS on my current MH. I never had one on any of my previous RVs. At two different parks it shut off the electricity, due to low voltage. More than likely I would never have realized these parks had issues if I didn't have an EMS. At both parks the issue didn't arise until a few hours after hooking up.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I ordered a progressive EMS=PT30C . Thanks again to all . it amazes me how much I don't know .30 years of tent and pop up camping
Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Bought a portable Progressive unit when we got our first RV 10 years ago. Never had an issue till last year when we were staving at a top rated Rv resort.
In the middle of the night our power went out only to find out that the main breaker was struck by lightning and tripped but not before it surged thru the protector and fried it. Had to replace the unit but my MH was not effected. Needless to say I replaced the protector the next day.... worth every penny.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulandvicki View Post
Bought a portable Progressive unit when we got our first RV 10 years ago. Never had an issue till last year when we were staving at a top rated Rv resort.
In the middle of the night our power went out only to find out that the main breaker was struck by lightning and tripped but not before it surged thru the protector and fried it. Had to replace the unit but my MH was not effected. Needless to say I replaced the protector the next day.... worth every penny.
Since Progressive has a lifetime warranty, did you get a free replacement?

Tags
advice