Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

GFCI source vs surge protector

FYI, folks. Never had a surge protector till the 35F (with TRC 50 A model installed when we bought it used). Plugging in at home to house/garage 20 A outlet for pre-trip preparations resulted in the TRC unit ALWAYS tripping when it completed its 200 second start sequence. (I tried multiple home circuits till isolated to "any GFCI" being the cause.)

Issue was I had plugged into a GFCI circuit. Learned from TRC that is a "feature" (yeah, right) and that I'd have to install a non-GFCI outlet at garage to allow RV powering.

Learned that Progressive's models don't do this. (no experience to confirm; but just be aware…)

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I'm on a GFI circuit from my garage and have no problems with my Progressive.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

If a GFCI is tripping, there is a problem downstream or the GFCI is bad. You can bet on that.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Add up the cost of the electronics that would get fried if you took a hit and decide based on that if saving a couple of hundred dollars for a surge protector is worth it. Just look at it as a form of insurance.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

I'm new to RVing and purchased a portable 30A Surge Guard. In addition to using it when connected to power at an RV park, should I also use it when operating off of the generator?
PropFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Do I need a surge protector: YES
If so what kind Progressive Industries HW-##C (read on for ##)
Second choice is the PT-##C

## is 30 or 50 depending on the RV, 30 amp shore cord gets a 30, 50 a 50 (makes sense dosen't it)

On the HW set the jumper for long delay.. And that about covers it.

NOTE, this is advice to all RVs unless they have one built in at the factory.

SLIGHTLY CHEAPER are the TRC Surge Guard brand.. Make sure you get the ones with teh LCD display, but these are only cheaper up front, they have a one year warranty, the Progressive Industries.... Well, "So long as you own it".

Tags
advice