Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge protector?

2005 Meridian. I am researching external surge protectors, but unsure if I need one, if my coach possibly has hard wired surge protection that was installed at the factory.
edndebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can tell you that you don't have factory installed surge/over-voltage/under-voltage protection. The 'EMS' system in your coach will shed loads if necessary to avoid overloading your incoming AC power line, but that's all.

You can see some choices here at RV Upgrades . I installed the 50A hardwired Surge Guard 5 years ago, but the Progressive Industries ones seem to have a strong following these days. I'd recommend checking both brands out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

edndebp,

While I am no expert in this area, I installed a 50A surge protector not only for high-voltage surge protection but also because of other features:
Surge protector automatically shuts off the power when excessive voltage, Low (less than 102 Volt) and High (greater than 132 Volt), or open neutral is present. When power is re-stored this RV Surge Protector automatically resets. The hard wired RV surge protector has a caution indicator light indicates miswired pedestal, reverse polarity and elevated ground voltage. 2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.

I did have a bad experience with a miswired box that blew out both my transfer switch and my dimensions inverter charger.

hope this helps
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

Thank's for the help. I'll check it out, as it's now rather obvious I need to purchase some protection before my luck runs out.

Ed
edndebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The Progressive Industries units have the highest joules rating of any of them and its low voltage cutoff is two volts higher. The unit with the remote meter has a control board that's replaceable where the other unit have to be removed and sent to the factory for repair.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Are you sure that's still true? TRC upgraded their units awhile back.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Are you sure that's still true? TRC upgraded their units awhile back.
To what??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Definitely, absolutely, 100% YES get a good surge protector, all it takes is one time, they are well worth the expense!!!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
To comparable specs

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

PT-50-C by Progressive industries is a portable, excellent, power protection system. It has assisted me about 4 times in the last year with pedestal power problems. It also has a great warranty. After 2 years of use it quit working one day. I called Progressive Industries and had permission to send it back. Within a few days I had a repaired unit. They also have a "hard-wired" version, but my thoughts are, take it with me if I change RV's.

RVUpgrades.com is where I purchased mine for the best pricing.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As this may or may not be my ultimate motor home and very limited space in the electrical compartment, I went with a portable unit. Would not leave home without it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I installed the 50A hardwired Surge Guard 5 years ago, but the Progressive Industries ones seem to have a strong following these days. I'd recommend checking both brands out.
Ditto.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

i have been using the progressive portable 50a surge protector with no problems for about 2 years.

Progressive Industries Smart Surge 240Volt / 50Amp - In-line Model
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Interesting my Winnebago service manager answered the surge question like this.

I have never had a repair to a MH in the last two years due to a surge.

I am saving my money and not getting one.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

That's a very interesting reply from the service manager. Just last summer my neighbor in a campground learned a very valuable lesson. I have a Progressive Industries surge protector that shut the power off because of a low voltage (brown out) condition that lasted almost 6 hours. My neighbor, who had no protection, replaced a air conditioner, convection oven and has a tv giving him problems. You may never need it, but when you do-----
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:

Interesting my Winnebago service manager answered the surge question like this.

I have never had a repair to a MH in the last two years due to a surge.

I am saving my money and not getting one.
Chuck,

Another two people with their head in the sand, until it happens to them.

"Gee Whiz, I guess I should have listened to those iRV2 people about having electrical protection."

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have the 50 amp progressive hardwired. This not only protects from surges, but hight and low voltages which are more likely than a surge. As far as removing when you change motorhomes, the removal and rewire should only take about 15 minutes, the first time installation is what takes time.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have the SurgeGuard 50amp hard wired one also. What I did to make it so I could carry with me was to install plug ins (into and out of the SurgeGuard) to match up with the MH 50 amp land line and the plug in on the MH. The land line now plugs into the incoming side of the SurgeGuard and then the outgoing side plugs into the MH. If I should move to another MH, all I have to do is unplug the SurgeGuard and remove it and the original wiring of the MH has not been altered at all.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I have the SurgeGuard 50amp hard wired one also. What I did to make it so I could carry with me was to install plug ins (into and out of the SurgeGuard) to match up with the MH 50 amp land line and the plug in on the MH. The land line now plugs into the incoming side of the SurgeGuard and then the outgoing side plugs into the MH. If I should move to another MH, all I have to do is unplug the SurgeGuard and remove it and the original wiring of the MH has not been altered at all.
I did the same thing.

If I ever decide to replace it, I am going to install EMS-HW50C.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post

If I ever decide to replace it, I am going to install EMS-HW50C.
A little over one year ago, I bought a 50 amp Portable TRC Surge Guard and had it locked to the Pedestal. Before leaving for Alaska, I had purchased a Power-Master from Todd Coffelt and wanted to install it and the Surge Guard where it would be safe and out of the way. I chose to put it in the road side part of my rear engine compartment as that's where the incoming shore power cord enters the coach. I separated the shore power at a junction box and installed a male and female plug and receptacle to accommodate the components. The Power-Master is first in line followed with the TRC Surge Guard and then back to the entry into the coach where it then goes to the Transfer Switch. I have posted a few photos of that installation.

Since coming back from Alaska, I was originally going to wait until the TRC unit failed before installing the Progressive EMS-HW50C with remote, however, I decided to install it now before leaving again for a 2 year trip to the East Coast and back to Alaska once again.

It was a simple installation and again, even though it is hard wired in, and because of the way I had separated the coach shore power using the male and female ends, I can easily remove it and re-install in any other coach.

I have posted photo's of that installation too.

If anyone would like to purchase a slightly used but brand new looking TRC 50 amp Surge Guard, it is listed in the iRV2 Classifieds.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Units-8.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	7442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Units-1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	7443  

Click image for larger version