Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I can tell you that you don't have factory installed surge/over-voltage/under-voltage protection. The 'EMS' system in your coach will shed loads if necessary to avoid overloading your incoming AC power line, but that's all.

You can see some choices here at RV Upgrades . I installed the 50A hardwired Surge Guard 5 years ago, but the Progressive Industries ones seem to have a strong following these days. I'd recommend checking both brands out.
Ditto: I hardwired the Surge Guard 50 AMP 34560 model and it saved me on my first time using it. We were on our way to Montana and stopped in Nephi Utah for the night when a storm hit and blew the electricity. The guy parked next door to me had no surge protector and lost his tv, microwave and more. I had no damage at all.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Interesting my Winnebago service manager answered the surge question like this.

I have never had a repair to a MH in the last two years due to a surge.

I am saving my money and not getting one.
That just tells me he is fixing electrical problems without knowing what causes them. A coach that experiences a surge could have multiple electrical problems and some don't show up immediately. Most owners never know they had experienced a surge, only that the electrical system is not working properly. When they bring the RV in for service they never relay that information to the service tech so the tech just repairs the obvious problem but never looks further for other evidence. In addition, a surge can not only damage the electrical system, it can damage appliances and electronics, so when they stop working how do you know if its attributed to a surge or just poor manufacturing?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Interesting my Winnebago service manager answered the surge question like this. I have never had a repair to a MH in the last two years due to a surge. I am saving my money and not getting one.
rream, You might want to read "My Blog" about RV Electrical problems and solutions.

Mobile RV Medic's - Dale Sumner - iRV2 Forums
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I bought a Surge Guard, and will not plug in without it. Last year I had two circuit boards go bad, the service tech would not commit to my maybe being plugged into a faulty post?? Fortunatly the repair was covered under extended warranty! I am at a different place this year,and while talking to one of our friends from that park ,he mentioned the person in my old site is having electrical problems!!( Hum? ) I am one of those guys that believe in preventative maintenance. I hope the Surge Guard will be a good preventitive !! Time will tell !!!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Interesting my Winnebago service manager answered the surge question like this.

I have never had a repair to a MH in the last two years due to a surge.

I am saving my money and not getting one.
I have the Surge Guard 50A, I've weathered a lot of big Northwest storms and believe a big reason is my surge protection. I would investigate a lot more, rream, rather than just taking a service manager's advice. There are many experienced RVers in this forum, and they'll steer you straight; and there are some ugly stories about electrical issues that could have been easily (and cheaply) prevented. My 2 cents....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I lost basement air unit because of low voltage; $3500 to replace the unit vs. $300 for a surge protector???? I have a different motor home now but totally believe in surge protection. You just can't trust all power sources at all RV Parks!!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Hopefully those that think these units do nothing (often swayed by those who know the same) will pay attention to real world stories like these. There was a guy on RV.net that made it his mission to convince folks these were useless and got trounced by pages of people telling him he had no clue what be was talking about, usually backed up by a story. He finally gave up

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
There was a guy on RV.net that made it his mission to convince folks these were useless and got trounced by pages of people telling him he had no clue what be was talking about, usually backed up by a story. He finally gave up
Or he may have moved over to the forums I frequent because it is surprising how vocal some people can become when trying to tell others they are doing the wrong thing. They always seem to lead with stories about "I've never seen or heard of anyone having any problems......" Then as reality comes in the form of first hand accounts of damage they tend to fade slowly away.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I recall another thread here on irv.2 on this topic. There were a couple of folks that insisted to the end that surge portection was a waste of money. The last post that I recall from that discussion was "If you guys want to waste your money, go ahead, but I'm not".
I've used the Progressive Industries 50 amp portable unit for the last 3 years. It has saved me from from high voltage,low voltage and an open ground. It is one add-on that pays for itself in more ways than just money.