Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I personally like progressive industries products. I use one of their 50amp portables so I can plug into the pedestal and read the lights before I plug in. Mine is an older one and I am not familiar with their latest part numbers. They are not cheap. I know nothing about the lower cost products so I can't help you there.
I agree. Just do a search for Progressive industries.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

All info is great info take it all in and learn, do what works for you. I researched and learned all I could from this site to make a decision. I chose to hard wired in my Surge Guard 35530 into my 03 Sunova, warranty and the unit analyzing the power source for proper voltage for 2 minutes before closing contacts and powering MH are great features. Last of all I watched a YouTube video and the guy explained how his generator in his 2017 MH, the built in protection circuit on the generator failed, sending an over voltage condition to his MH, but his surge guard hardwired unit saved him.

I don't know if anyone that uses the portable type surge protector keeps it plugged into the power cable when they plug into there generator onboard there MH. So for that reason and theft, guided me to a hardwired unit. Regardless of manufacturer I would go with a hardwired unit.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideor die View Post
Regardless of manufacturer I would go with a hardwired unit.
Unfortunately not everyone has that luxury. On many/most trailers the power inlet is on the side of the trailer wall (maybe due to electrical code????). For my trailer that is right behind the shower, so if I were to somehow hardwire something in it would maybe need to be by the breaker box (or whatever it's called on a trailer). It's possible the main line runs under my bathroom sink, so maybe I could install one there???

Also, keep in mind surge protectors only work if you have a good ground connection, so that would need to be checked first (as ideally would other wiring issues and voltage).
Old 04-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Unfortunately not everyone has that luxury. On many/most trailers the power inlet is on the side of the trailer wall (maybe due to electrical code????). For my trailer that is right behind the shower, so if I were to somehow hardwire something in it would maybe need to be by the breaker box (or whatever it's called on a trailer). It's possible the main line runs under my bathroom sink, so maybe I could install one there???

Also, keep in mind surge protectors only work if you have a good ground connection, so that would need to be checked first (as ideally would other wiring issues and voltage).
I've installed a PI 30A unit w/remote readout (EMS-HW30C) on both TTs we've owned, and each went in a different place. On the Keystone there was a junction box where the cable came into the trailer via a mouse hole under the "entertainment center"; I undid the wire nuts, removed the junction box and installed the EMS there. On the Winnie the power inlet was behind the shower and the cable ran under the floor, so I installed it next to the converter/breaker panel under a false floor in the closet. For this installation I had to purchase some additional 10 gauge wire to make the connection.

The unit has saved my bacon a few times; once the power post had the hot and neutral switched (determined from error code on readout). Fortunately the electrician was still onsite doing something else and corrected it. Other times we've had local brownouts, and while I was not running the air conditioner at that time the EMS disconnected the TT from shore power until adequate voltage was restored.