Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am going to install a Surge Proctector on my 03 Journey DL with 50 amp service.
What surge protector has everybody used?
Is it better to have one hard wired in or one that plugs into the power pedestal and your power cord into that?
Where is a good place to purchase the proector?

Thanks in advance for everbody's input

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am going to install a Surge Proctector on my 03 Journey DL with 50 amp service.
What surge protector has everybody used?
Is it better to have one hard wired in or one that plugs into the power pedestal and your power cord into that?
Where is a good place to purchase the proector?

Thanks in advance for everbody's input

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 02-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tom,
I chose the hard wired 50 amp "Surge Guard" from Camping World, and love it. I feel that once the hard wired model is installed it is more convenient than the portable model and you don't have to worry about theft. I also didn't want to have the unit exposed to the elements. Either way, you are making a very wise decision to get a surge protector. I wouldn't be without one.

2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35U - W22 Workhorse (Prone to Brake Problems)
MKCROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:44 AM   #4

Hey Tom,

This is a great question, I wish all new guys would ask this now and not later after it's to late. You can either pay the piper now or pay heavily later.

Do a search of Surge Protector and you'll see all kinds of replies. The unit made buy TRCI call the Surge Guard is one of the finest units available. Even if you had 30 amp service, I strongly recommend the 50 amp unit, as it will work on both 30 and 50 amp.

I have the 50 amp portable, and made modifications to my power cord adding a weather proof receiptical at 18inches from the transfer switch and then added a male connector to cord end. This allows me to have my surge guard inside my electrical compartment, out of sight & out of mind of anyone to cheap to buy their own. Then, if I ever change coaches, I'll take my surge guard with me. I think their is a photo in my photo gallery that you can see.

Tomcat F15
"NEVER CONNECT TO (ANY) SHORE POWER WITHOUT A SURGE PROTECTION DEVICE IN LINE"
Old 02-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Are the Surge Guard sold at camping world made by TRCI?

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 02-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #6

Yes and you can buy direct. At www.trci.net, they have a great web site with a complete listing of all their products. I think that when you see the products they manufacture here in the USA, you be impressed and comfortable with your purchase. The Surge Guard has a LIFE TIME WARRANTY, when your coach is gone, your Surge Guard will still be standing.

Tomcat F15
"Only in AMERICA."
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I also bought the Surge Guard unit shortly after buying our MH March of last year.Much of the impetus was Tomcat's repeated warnings to all of the dangers of powering up without one. I also used his idea of keeping the portable unit in the electical compartment away from prying eyes. Thanks to Tomcat,that has been one less concern. Which does remind me-thanks to all that contribute to this group and it's sponsors. I have learned much about things to lookout for and if it hasn't happened yet,I know help isn't too far away.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

You can read additional commentary about the TRC Surge Guard in this thread. Please click on the graphic.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Surge protection of some type is important. I've been utilzing a MOV based whole house protection device in our motorhome, but this spring, I'm going to install a more typical RV device with voltage protection.

I've been holding off ordering one until I get the motorhome out of storage, but being the "non-conformist" I'm going to try out a different brand. I've talked with Bill and he's carrying the Progressive Dynamics unit now in RVUpgrades. From the information I've reviewed, I like the unit with it's option of a inside display function. I also like the user switchable time delay.

Probably around the end of March or early April I'll order one for the RV. Before installing it though, I'll certainly put it on the bench, and run it through a thorough test and report the results. In the mean time, the unit I'm considering purchasing can be read about here ---> Progressive Dynamics Surge Protector
Old 02-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Joe,
Is this box something that a rank amateur could install? I'm not completely brain dead but the installation procedures seem a little involved. Have you ever installed one?

Bill

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39s Saturn LS2
Xeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Joe-K : you won't be disappointed with that unit from rvupgrades. And their price is right too. I bought mine at the Newmar rally last June and have been impressed with it's performance. I would like to suggest you reconsider installing the digital readout "inside" as you stated. Reason being- you'll want to be able to watch it scroll thru the tests it performs each time you plug into shore power. The unit does come with enough wire to reach inside if you chose, and if you really want to monitor the amps and voltage frequently, then that is the way to go. I prefer to just forget about it, and trust the unit to protect me, after I verify things are ok at plug in time. Either way, you will have solid protection and lots of peace of mind. Good luck, Ed
Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Exroid: I did not install mine, but the seller who did simply cut my power cord into about 18" from where it enters the transfer switch. He then stripped the wires and connected the short stub to the OUTPUT terminals of the new surge protector, and connected the wires from the long cord (with the plug)to the INPUT side of the protector. I suggest you anchor the power cord firmly in your compartment to prevent pulling on the protector as you drag the cord to the pedestal.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edgray:
... but the seller who did simply cut my power cord into about 18" from where it enters the transfer switch.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now before you go cutting anything just so that you know I didn't have to cut my cord. I opened the switch and removed the service cable that goes to the Main Circuit Panel and attached it to the output of the surge guard. The input to the auto switch therefore comes from the SG.

Wired in this manner both the input from the cord and the input from the generator set are channeled through the surge protector. Literally, don't cut yourself short.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

DRIVER,
WE WILL BE AT ROCKCRUSHER AND I HOPE TO TALK TO YOU THEN ABOUT SURGE PROTECTION. IN FACT, I'LL BET MOST OF THE BOOMERS WOULD BE INTERESTED. SEE YOU NEXT WEEK....BILL

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39s Saturn LS2
Xeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:40 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xeroid:
SEE YOU NEXT WEEK....BILL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>10-4
Old 02-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I did mine about like Driver did and it took me about an hour while we were on the road. Remember that you will have 30 or 50 amps flowing through your connections so it is imortant to get good low-resistence connections. Also, tie things down--motorhomes to vibrate and bouce around a lot. I really believe that surge protector is a misnomer in that the real problem facing motor homes is not a transient surge as much as it is low voltage or miswired or disfunctional pedestals. If you are comfortable doing regular house wiring, you can easily install one. If not, it shouldn't take a service center more than an hour. The problem I have is that they usually don't do it the way I want.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 AM   #17
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i bought the portable 30 amp unit and a 25' 30 amp extension cord..plugged the 25' shore power cord from the rv into the protector inside the compartment then used the extension from the shore power box to the protector..this keeps the protector inside with no cutting and i have the extra 25' cord..also it is easier to roll the extension than stuff the regular cord thru the bottom opening..jim
Old 10-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

After reading these posts...and some on line research of mentioned brands....I ended up going with the 30 AMP portable from Progressive Industries. It's the EMS-PT30C. I liked it's construction and it had a couple more features. ...to include the built on lock device. Had to have a local RV parts dealer special order it. It lists for $293 but I worked it down to $275 + tax.

50 amp model also available.

www.progressiveindustries.net
Old 10-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Progressive EMS system this spring. Since installation I have been on the road 45 days and found two CG with reversed polarity and two others with low voltage. I debated where to put the monitor and concluded that I wanted to know what the voltage, Hz & amps were doing on an ongoing basis so I installed my inside. I put it where I could see it from the door after connecting or my wife could let me know when I connected. You can install two monitors (one in bay and one inside) if you want to spend the money, I didn't. For a good evaluation of the available units look at this comparison chart.

It was easy to install and if you have any questions their service is very helpful. I forgot to hook up the amp reader and they were quick to help with simple instructions.
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Good point.I'm runing a smaller voltage meter inside where I can see it most of the time...and the EMS-PT30C outside at the post.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...e-Meter/skunum=29375