Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

After reading a number of product reviews and installation procedures I decided to purchase and install the Surge Guard. Camping World had the 50 amp model 34560 on sale at $299.00.

I decided to locate the unit in the nook area in the power compartment of our 2004 36G Journey. I have uploaded photos to my gallery. There was just enough space behind the inverter to install the unit in a vertical position. This location got it back out of the way but still clearly visible. And the top and bottom lugs are still visible and accessible to check tightness.

However, this install location takes a little planning. It is too tight a space to install the unit first and then install the cables. So I positioned the unit and marked the four mounting hole locations and drilled them. To mount the unit, I used #10 stainless steel " long pan screws.

I purchased a 4'-0" long piece of 90? C, 600 volt cable, with 4 number 6 AWG wires. The local electrical supply house had this special cable and it looks just like the Journey's power hook up cable. Lowes and Home Depot did not stock this cable type. I prepared one end of this cable per the instructions. I installed the prepared in of the cable to the unit's "load" side.

I opened the transfer switch box where the existing house power cable is connected. I marked the four connection locations so there would be no confusion when I hooked up the new cable. I disconnected the existing house power cable and installed it into the unit's line side connection.

Then, with both of the cables connected to the Surge Guard unit, I temporarily mounted the unit with two screws started just enough to hold the weight. I then situated the two cables to get a feel for how the cables would shape them selves and where they would need to be supported and retained with clamps. It was at this point that I decided to allow a little more cable length from the load end to the transfer switch box thus the "s" shape of the cable. The finally length of the load side cable was about 3'-6".

I screwed the unit tight. I cut the load side cable and prepared and installed it in the transfer switch box. I then installed the cable clamps as required.

I double checked all the connections (Actually by this time I would have to say tenth checked them) and then plugged in the power. After 2 minutes and 15 seconds, per the operating manual, the started relay energized and power was available.

The installation took me about 2 hours.

This pass week (about two weeks since the installation) we went camping for the first time since the installation. I thought a 50 amp test might be appropriate before posting my installation experience. The park we stayed in had just upgraded their electrical posts, all new equipment. Plugged in and was surprised to see that the Surge Guard's line 2 indicator light was not active. So I rotated the 50 amp circuit breaker a few times but no change. My install was not looking to powerful! I attached our 30 amp adapter and plugged in to the 30 amp side and the Surge Guard's lines 1 & 2 indicators were active. Some hope in my install reappeared! The next morning the electrician showed and replaced the new 50 amp circuit breaker. So our new Surge Guard system worked!

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Having the Surge Guard makes for a good peace of mind; having it hard-wired makes it real easy.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine saved me from a disaster only last week, kept tripping when ever I plugged into 50amp pedestal.
Ckt for other site worked fine on same pedestal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

SteveG,

Thanks for your thorough writeup. It was detailed and precise. I have a portable surge guard, but on occasion I don't use it (dumb!). So I am thinking that a hardwired installation would solve my problem. A project I am comfortable tackling. It's always helpful to have someone provide some insight on these projects before tackling.

Thanks again!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Surge Guard or HW-50 ?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pusherman, you could buy a male and female (50amp?) plug cut the power cord close to the switch box, add the plugs to your wire, plug in the Surge Guard and when you sell your coach you can remove the Surge Guard and plug the wire into each other and away you go.
I just opted for the portable with the lock. If you trade often you can keep the Surge Guard.
I have had both and they work fine. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I too went the route of plug-in versi0n with the lock (CW had a sale on-line plus the lock was included for free). My electrical compartment is even smaller than a 36G and I couldn't figure out a way to install the hard-wired version anyway.

My only concern with the plug-in unit is the need to keep it upright to keep it weatherproof. Doesn't always work out easily depending on the pedestal especially if your adapting to 30 or 20 amps.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you have a good system. Did you install it before or after the transfer switch? If you installed it after, then it also protects against generator malfunction.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Carle, I installed it "before" the generator. I did not want to make my initial effort too complicated. Also, I am under the impression that the generator's electrical control and safety circuits provide strong protection. Is this correct? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 06-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Steve

I hard wired my 50 amp SurgeGuard like you did. The only difference is that I did buy the male and female adapters (like ichn2go mentioned) and that way I was able to use the power cord as it was configured and then plug the "permanent mounted" surge guard into the plug in already in the coach. This way, I can remove the SurgeGuard should I sell the coach and move it to the next one.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Steve,

Installation before or after the xfr switch is purely a matter of peronal preference. As with any machinery, things can happen and I chose to install after the xfr switch to protect against any eventuality. The only down-side (I think)is that the generator has the same built-in delay of two+ minutes that the SurgeGard has and it adds to the Surgegard delay making a total delay of 5+ minutes after gen start to get power to the house. Also, if the Surgegard gets cooked for any reason, I have no recourse but to wire around it to use the generator or shore power.

I mounted mine on the rear wall, toward the back of the motorhome oposite the inverter.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David K:
Steve

I hard wired my 50 amp SurgeGuard like you did. The only difference is that I did buy the male and female adapters (like ichn2go mentioned) and that way I was able to use the power cord as it was configured and then plug the "permanent mounted" surge guard into the plug in already in the coach. This way, I can remove the SurgeGuard should I sell the coach and move it to the next one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did basically the same thing but a bit differently. I Bought both a 50 to 30 and a 30 to 50 amp adapter.

I cut the socket off of the 30 to 50 and wired that into my transfer switch giving me a 30 amp male plug.

I cut the male plug off the 50 to 30 and wired that to the output of my surge guard giving me a 30 amp socket.

I then wired the power cord directly to the SurgeGuard.

A Hughs Autoformer was then installed in the electrical bay also.

Now I have the Transfer switch plugged into the Hughs Autoformer and the Hughs Autoformer plugged into the SurgeGuard. If anything fails I can quickly reconfigure and bypass the Autoformer or the SurgeGuard or both using my 25 foot 30 amp extension cord.

I don't have to do any rewiring during a storm or other bad situation, just rearrange a few plugs.

I picked up the Adapters instead of buying wire plugs and sockets because the adapters were on sale for less money than purchasing all the separate items. Also the ends that I was intending to use were already correctly connected saving me time and labor.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Carle, Thanks for the feed back on the generator wiring. I am going to stay as is for now until I accumulate some experience.

Also, thanks to others for some of the great wiring ideas. I have saved them for the next time I get electrically charged up, so to speak.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-