Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Guard

I have a 2012 Journey 34 Y and when I bought the unit it had a surge guard 41260 auto transfer switch. Does this unit provide enough surge protection or should I add a separate surge protector. Does anyone have experiences with this unit?
Alan
Alann5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann5910 View Post
I have a 2012 Journey 34 Y and when I bought the unit it had a surge guard 41260 auto transfer switch. Does this unit provide enough surge protection or should I add a separate surge protector. Does anyone have experiences with this unit?
Alan
One would assume that the name says it, but these days you never know. Give Surge Guard a call and confirm.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

In this case, "Surge Guard" is the brand of the ATS unit (built by TRC). And as a combined ATS and surge guard, it does have the typical surge guard capabilities built in. Buying a separate surge guard would be duplicating what you already have.

From their web site:

The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps. Additional features include:
  • Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
  • Provides the following protection:
    • Open neutral
    • Reverse polarity
  • Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)
  • Multi-mode Surge Suppression
  • Mechanical interlocking contactors.
  • UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008..
Old 06-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Alan, the 41260 falls short of full protection in my opinion. I never understood why the MH manufacturers didn't spend just
A couple more bucks to include a more robust unit in even their entry mid level lines.
The 41260 does not protect against a common and very damaging issue of "undercurrent" condition. From personal experience, I would never plug in without it.
allegro36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro36 View Post
The 41260 does not protect against a common and very damaging issue of "undercurrent" condition. From personal experience, I would never plug in without it.
I was assuming low voltage is included in "Multi-mode Surge Suppression", but perhaps not as that is listed separately in the specs for my Model 35550. In fact I see nothing in the specs for the 41260 about it automatically cutting power in event of several possible problems. I agree that I would definitely want both over and under voltage protection. Perhaps an inquiry to TRC would be good to determine for sure where or not it provides protection against high and/or low voltage.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro36 View Post
Alan, the 41260 falls short of full protection in my opinion. I never understood why the MH manufacturers didn't spend just
A couple more bucks to include a more robust unit in even their entry mid level lines.
Can you recommend a good brand? The common ones on sale at Camping World all seem to have poor reviews. I'm probably going to go with one from Progressive Industries unless someone tells me otherwise. By the way, I never used one on my travel trailer and had zero issues for ten years. Just considering one now because I put a lot more money into this motorhome.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Can you recommend a good brand? The common ones on sale at Camping World all seem to have poor reviews.
No idea what brand the ones at CW are, but TRC and Progressive are the two brands I would look at (your current ATS is built by TRC). They both make quality products with a range of capabilities, and both have very good customer service. Make sure you review the features to ensure that it does cut power when you have over/under voltage in addition to detecting other errors.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

TRC warranty is one year. Progressive warranty is lifetime. Nuff said.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My Progressive Industries HW50C gave it's life to protect my coach.

Called PI Tech support, they had me troubleshoot it in the field, confirmed a board needed to be replaced. I FedEx'd it to them on Monday and they had it back to me on Wednesday of the same week. Pretty impressive service.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard