Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are contemplating a 50 amp surge guard, but we are unsure how this will work if we are pluged into 30 amp. Can someone enlighten us on how this would work on our Horizon. Thanks

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are contemplating a 50 amp surge guard, but we are unsure how this will work if we are pluged into 30 amp. Can someone enlighten us on how this would work on our Horizon. Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have a 50 Amp surge guard,,,you will just have to adapt it to the 30 amp plug with a dogleg....I use mine on 30 amp at several places and have had no trouble running different appliances inside...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Like Okie said, a dogleg---it does work. It has save me a couple of times. Good luck.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can use it on 110 volts 30 and 50 amp service. its a good thing to have. Wired mine between the service feed and generator to load center.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are contemplating a 50 amp surge guard, but we are unsure how this will work if we are pluged into 30 amp. Can someone enlighten us on how this would work on our Horizon. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed a 50 amp surge guard permanently on our Horizon. It will work on either 15, 20, 30 or 50 amps. I have had it work on all the mentioned amperage. What it would not work with is a dogbone adapter that plugs into a 30 amp and 20 amp outlet concurrently. This is the Surge Guard that I use.
http://www.surgeguard.com/P34560.htm

You can bypass the surge guard protection by turning a key mounted on the unit, incase of problems.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We also have a 50 amp Surge Guard hard-wired and the install is documented on the RV pages of our web site.

It is relatively inexpensive protection for your coach and the installation wasn't too difficult.

I wouldn't be without it - we have been in some parks with power that was marginal (low voltage), parks that got their power from an on-site generator with fluctuating voltage and line frequency (in Alaska), and many that don't have a circuit breaker at your hookup box. In the latter case, the time delay of the Surge Guard prevents arcing when you plug in to shore power.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for their input, one more question. What is better the wired in one or the one you place onto your cord?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks to all for their input, one more question. What is better the wired in one or the one you place onto your cord? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question. I am thinking of shortening my 30A cord (2-3 ft)so that it reaches the generator plug and then when plugged in, a SurgeGuard and 30A cord to the pedistal. The SurgeGuard would stay inside the motorhome compartment.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks to all for their input, one more question. What is better the wired in one or the one you place onto your cord? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For protection either one works equally well. With a permanent installation you don't have to think about it again, the protection is always there and you eliminate the possibility of theft and physical damage due to unintended abuse.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Is ther a particular brand that is better than the others out there?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
Is there a particular brand that is better than the others out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I use the 50A Surge Guard and have done so for a couple of years now. Although RV Upgrades does have other models and manufacturers available the Surge Guard has served us well and I integrated the device into a protective scheme where it monitors both the pedestal and the generator.

Model 34560
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
Is ther a particular brand that is better than the others out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Progressive Industries appears to be a better EMS system. We have the PT50C (50 amp portable) from RV Parts Center ($323.36).

Here is the CHART comparing the two brands, and Progressive has a much higher Joule Rating along with a updating screen display.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
I recently made a mistake and plugged into a 50 amp service without first turning off the breaker of the shorepower. Little did I know my wife had turned on the electric hot water heater. So when I plugged my 50 amp cord in, the shorepower plug arched and I smoked a circuit board in the autoformer. I had created a open demand from a source that was hot and had a burnt receptical post in it. The campground electrical guy replace the 50 amp receptical and I unplugged the autoformer.

I got the autoformer back to Doug and he had it ready in 2 days. Give Doug a call to answer and technical questions, 626.277.5724, tell him Gary says thanks.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,

That is why I have both the SurgeGuard and AutoFormer. I have the SurgeGuard first to provide a delay and protect the AutoFormer from surges. This way if I do have a surge from the post that is bad enough to damage the protection device I am only without the SurgeGuard and I can then run with just the AutoFormer. Plus SurgeGuard is local to me and I can just drop by their offices to get it repaired afterwards.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I had may concerns about surge protectors since wiring at an rv park fried the electronics in my sister's motorhome. I researched and bought an autoformer from Frank's Electronics in 2004(www.voltagebooster.com). I met the original owner Frank in 2004 and both Frank and the new owner Doug at 2005 and 2006 big CA RV shows. These guys are professionals and took their time explaining the product to me and others.

The boost is great, (somehow-- I'm not an electronics guy) I get a 16 volt boost when the demand is high in the campground and everyone has AC on, example is Lake Havasu AZ 110-115 degree summer, my friends have to shut down electronics to maintain a single or double roof air while our basement air is keeping the coach as cool as I need, plus micro wave and electric water heater. Boost plus protection.

I recently made a mistake and plugged into a 50 amp service without first turning off the breaker of the shorepower. Little did I know my wife had turned on the electric hot water heater. So when I plugged my 50 amp cord in, the shorepower plug arched and I smoked a circuit board in the autoformer. I had created a open demand from a source that was hot and had a burnt receptical post in it. The campground electrical guy replace the 50 amp receptical and I unplugged the autoformer.

I got the autoformer back to Doug and he had it ready in 2 days. Give Doug a call to answer and technical questions, 626.277.5724, tell him Gary says thanks....
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Neil: That's a good idea and cheap insurance to protect all of the expensive electronics.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry J:

Good question. I am thinking of shortening my 30A cord (2-3 ft)so that it reaches the generator plug and then when plugged in, a SurgeGuard and 30A cord to the pedistal. The SurgeGuard would stay inside the motorhome compartment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the surge guard used for both generator power and shorepower?

I was looking at these...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=2279&src=SRQB
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote