Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have installed the surge guard 50/30 Amp hard wire surge protector into the MH. The unit appears to be working well for a period of time and then at some point I loose power on the load side.
1. I have a 30 amp service from the house and have used it on numerious times to keep power to the MH.
2. I installed the SG protector yesterday and it worked as it was suppose to with the 2 min. 8 sec delay (blinking light).
3. I checked the panel in MH and it indicated normal, 30 amp service. With heater running it was pulling approximately 15 to 20 amps.
4. At some point in time the power to the load side is shut off. No blinking light, no caution light, the line lights are on, power is normal to in side (line) of SG.
5. I have doubled check to make sure I have the correct voltage, 120 +/- 2 volts coming off house and line voltage at SSG is same. Run to house is with the line that came with the MH so length of run should not be an issue.
6. At some point in time I loose the power to the load side of the SG.
7. Last night I disconnected the load side of the SG and resinstalled. When the power was turned back on at the breaker the delay light blinking for correct time and power came back to MH.
8. Again at some point in time I lost power to the load side of the SG. This happened some time during the night.
9. This morning I check voltage, 120 +/- 1 volt.
10. Both line lights were lit.
11. No power to load side of SG.
12. No caution light on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening???

MH is a 2007 Journey 36G.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have installed the surge guard 50/30 Amp hard wire surge protector into the MH. The unit appears to be working well for a period of time and then at some point I loose power on the load side.
1. I have a 30 amp service from the house and have used it on numerious times to keep power to the MH.
2. I installed the SG protector yesterday and it worked as it was suppose to with the 2 min. 8 sec delay (blinking light).
3. I checked the panel in MH and it indicated normal, 30 amp service. With heater running it was pulling approximately 15 to 20 amps.
4. At some point in time the power to the load side is shut off. No blinking light, no caution light, the line lights are on, power is normal to in side (line) of SG.
5. I have doubled check to make sure I have the correct voltage, 120 +/- 2 volts coming off house and line voltage at SSG is same. Run to house is with the line that came with the MH so length of run should not be an issue.
6. At some point in time I loose the power to the load side of the SG.
7. Last night I disconnected the load side of the SG and resinstalled. When the power was turned back on at the breaker the delay light blinking for correct time and power came back to MH.
8. Again at some point in time I lost power to the load side of the SG. This happened some time during the night.
9. This morning I check voltage, 120 +/- 1 volt.
10. Both line lights were lit.
12. No caution light on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening???

MH is a 2007 Journey 36G.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the voltage drops to less than 108 volts the SG is suppose to turn off. To pretect the RV.DO you have a voltage monitor plugged in? The voltage drop may only last a few minutes and by time you do your check voltage is back mup.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Could be a faulty SG. Does it drop the load side if there isn't a heavier load, perhaps just the converter?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check input and output voltage at the transfer switch when the problem condition is present. Those switches have been known to drop out when they get a little hot. The switch being "new" has nothing to do with its condition or operation. Had to replace mine under warranty before the unit was 12 months old. Good luck, keep us informed to the problem resolution.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have doubled check to make sure I have the correct voltage, 120 +/- 2 volts coming off house and line voltage at SSG is same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are measuring the voltage right at the terminal block of the Surgeguard, then I would say the Surgeguard is bad.

Even if the voltage had dropped below the Surgeguard minimum, when it came back up the Surgeguard should start the delay count down and reconnect again.

Have you tried disabling the Surgeguard by turning the key? When the Surgeguard is disabled via the key it should disregard any bad input.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10. Both line lights were lit.
12. No caution light on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those three things should not occur at the same time. I would be talking to the SurgeGuard folks if I were you.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Finally gave up. Will be calling the SG people tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for their assistance.
jk