Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Suggestions for a 2k inverter

I realized that I requested too many things in one post. So, I'm breaking down, hoping for some replies this time......
I would like to upgrade the MSW inverter in our 2017 View 24J. to a 2k pure sine wave inverter. As part of that, I want to power additional outlets with it (currently only the TV above the sink and the dinette outlet are powered by the inverter)
I'm thinking about the Xantrex Freedom Pro inverter, but I would like to ask the community for recommendations.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummi View Post
I realized that I requested too many things in one post. So, I'm breaking down, hoping for some replies this time......
I would like to upgrade the MSW inverter in our 2017 View 24J. to a 2k pure sine wave inverter. As part of that, I want to power additional outlets with it (currently only the TV above the sink and the dinette outlet are powered by the inverter)
I'm thinking about the Xantrex Freedom Pro inverter, but I would like to ask the community for recommendations.
What inverter does your View currently have? I ask because our Fuse has a Magnum 1000 watt inverter and I plan to upgrade that to another Magnum 2000 watt inverter because the remote switch for the 1000 watt inverter will work for the 2000 watt version and will not require that I rewire and install a second remote.

Perhaps you can find a true SW inverter from the same company and perhaps the remote in your View will work with that as well? Might save you some trouble and money.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When adding wattage you will likely need heavier wiring for the battery and respective fuses.

I too have a 1k and would love to go to 2k pure sine in a Vista but adding the wiring and another outlet makes me think 2x. I have about 8 - 10 feet of wiring needed and that's not too cheap to replace.

I use this to determine the needed wire gauges and distance to keep it all in check. I have Lithium batteries and Solar with capacity and would love to fire up the coffee maker!

https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html
Old 03-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The Xantrex products work quite well. 2 kw is a good size, but the comment above about the main supply cables is very important. 8-10 feet is usually the MAX distance for a 2 kw. Also (from a design standpoint) think about use. The general rule is that anytime you want to heat/cool air/liquid (think HVAC, etc) invertors are not your best choice (use genset/propane). Microwave ovens (while a huge draw) are ok, as are blow dryers. You aren't going to cook a turkey, and unless your wife is Rapunzel, duty cycles will be relatively brief. The secret on the coffee maker (also very high draw) is to turn it off and transfer your Joe into a thermos.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Xantrex you mention is good. Magnum, Victron and Mastervolt are better I think. An even cheaper brand that sells well on Amazon is Renogy. I think I would give that a try.

I am pretty certain that your existing inverter does not have an automatic transfer switch. Those outlets you mention are only powered through the inverter, not shore power directly. So you do not need an inverter with an automatic transfer switch.

As others have noted your DC input power is going up so you will probably need bigger wire. Also your AC power output is also going up. You probably have 14 gauge which is marginal. Better to replace with 12 gauge. But if you aren't going to push the 2,000 watt limit, then you can stick with the 14 gauge.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
2022 Travato 59KL

I had a 2000w Xantrex Freedom Pro inverter added to my Travato. It works great for me and my limited use. https://amsolar.com/ did the work for me and they are #1.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Winnebago uses both Xantrex and Magnum inverter’s in their motorhomes. My Class A came with a Magnum MS2012 2000w PSW inverter/charger. It has an automatic transfer switch and has been very reliable. Plus I’ve had quick response from Magnum tech support anytime I’ve had any question.

I know Xantrex is well regarded, I just haven’t had any experience with their products.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A million years ago, when I did a bit of consulting for Heart (who made the original Freedom series), their products were invincible (a mate of mine still has my 30 year old 1000w unit working on his boat). Xantrex carried on the tradition. My 17 year old Xantrex is in the motor home now, although I have heard rumors of some quality issues lately. As more components and assembling shift overseas, I'm sure this can be said of most manufacturers.

I would think that Xantrex, Mastervolt and Magnum are all good choices.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #9

Brand name should be worth something. It implies they use "qualified vendors, but in more recent years the typical 2000W RV inverter-charger has undergone a number of design changes to both the inverter side and the charger side.

Specifically, this "black box" has changed from a Low Frequency (LF) design commonly used in pre-2017 builds to a High Frequency (HF) Inverter design type. And this is why these things weigh less and cost less per watt... and you now can buy Pure Sine Wave (PSW) functionality for a lot less than you use to pay.

As for the charger side, I'm not going to comment on that in any detail here, other than to say, if I ever changed my Dimensions Inverter-Charger to a PSW Inverter, I would use a separate inverter and a separate charger and a separate ATS too. This will not only make the system easier to diagnose, it also will give you bluetooth charger control on your cell phone, and that's something you will use a lot! (Note: There are other ways so getting bluetooth without breaking up your inverter-charger, but again that's not what I am talking about here.)

What I would like to know is this: Can someone put the differences between buying a LF vs. HF inverter into perspective for us RVers, who also want to consider reliability, longevity, and safety.

I.e., I know you can buy a cheep 2000W-PSW-HF-inverter to drive a residential refrigerator in your RV, but for how long will this HF inverter last? And is there a safety concern? ...Fires do happen to these things, you know!

...What I will not dispute is the value of PSW vs. MSW, but that's not what I am questioning here.

... What I am looking for is advice on:

* Are LF inverters a thing of the past?

* And if you do decide to use an HF inverter, does it make sense to buy a larger inverter? ...I.e., does that buy you more reliability, longevity, and safety?

* Most of us pre-2017 model RV owners probably have a 1500-2000W-MSW-LF-Inveter, and when the day comes we want to, or need to, go to a PSW-Inverter, should we look harder to find a LF-Inverter or will a larger HF-Inverter work just as well?

I have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD and my RV came with a Dimension 2000W "Quasi-sine" Inverter-Charger and I like it very much. This very heavy "black box" is a Low Frequency (LF) inverter, and it powers my residential refrigerator very well.

* Let's say I want to replace my 2000W-LF-Inveter to a HF-Inverter. Can I buy the cheaper 2000W-HF-Inveter or would it be a better idea to buy the 3000W-HF-Inveter from a reliability, longevity and safety point of view? ...Or for that matter if 3000W is good, is going to 4000W better?

* Are there any drawbacks to using a HF inverter design?

* Can you run a HF inverter for just as long as you can run an LF inverter under an average load?

* ...Or is the real problem with these cheap PSW inverters (not the brand names I assume) is that they use cheap fans inside that fail... and then the inverter burns-up?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There is no question that the transformer-type (low frequency and often not true sine wave) inverters are historically hardier than the newer HF offerings. I've found that true sine wave is handy for medical equipment, but other than slightly longer microwave cooking times, I've never had issues (TV, electronics, computers, etc).
Old 04-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummi View Post
I am one who has had many problems with Xantex inverters and service. Even though Magnum customer support is not as good as it was before it was bought out, the inverters are still a good workhorse bet. I have had two. Installed one in my last coach and this coach had one when we bought it. The newer version will even charge LiFePo4 batteries if you go that route. So, IMO, Magnum is the way to go.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Victron Multi Plus, just as well get the best while you are doing it
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter