Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Still another battery question

2004 Suncruiser 38R. I have been sitting in my son's driveway for couple of months. We haven't really been on the road yet since purchase a few months back.
The House batteries have discharged twice while we have been sitting here. I have been reluctant to run the genset so as not to annoy the neighbors.
Both times I used a battery charger to bring them back, but the best I can get is just less than 12 volts.
Checking the electrolyte as I have seen on numerous Youtube videos, I see the specific gravity is on the low side. According to Youtube advice, I should "equalize" the batteries because they have sulfated.
My Itasca owner's manual states I should get new batteries as it does not address "equalizing" . These batteries are only about 8 months old.
Has anyone dealt with this or have an actual usable suggestion?
Thanks
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There are many YouTube videos on how to desulfate batteries, choose a method for the equipment you have.
Since the RV was in your son's driveway, doesn't he have electricity? Why not plug the RV into an extension cord and maintain the batteries. You don't need a 50 or 30 amp service, you can use adaptors and plug the shore cord into a 15 amp outlet. Just don't try to run the air conditioner or other high amp appliances, the on board converter/charger will work fine. Just make sure when plugged into shore power you charge chassis and house batteries. (Measure voltage on and off power, look for a jump in voltage when charging.)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We have had problems with our coach batteries both after boondocking and after storage. To restore the batteries, we pull them and put them on a charger individually. During longer storage periods, we also keep them in our garage so ghost electrical draws will not cause them to discharge. We also check them periodically and recharge as necessary. Just sitting without a draw, the voltage lowers over time. When we are ready to go, we reinstall fully charged batteries.
dalerussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #4

Batteries are only a storage Bucket,, And if left in a state of no charge . When they are not fully Charged they will Begin sulfating Immediately.. I just read an article that batteries are shipped at 50 % charge. Then they are put in the chassis set in there while the couch is built , Then out to the dealers lot setting there again, all the time Sulfating .. Once they are/have been sulfating . reversing them is near impossible . Just replace them.. I have tried it. after many disappointments .. Replacement..
tony Bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

greatscot ...

Do you have the manual for your inverter(/charger)? ... if not go on-line and download it.

If it has the capability to "equalize" your batteries it will tell you how ... on my rig the manual describes how to do that ... it gives the sequence of buttons to push ... and describes the "travelling lights" that will occur while in process.

It takes about 8 hours on our rig ... I need to be plugged into 120 v AC (or run my genset) to accomplish the equalization. I try to do it twice a year.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Second comment: I highly recommend that you install a Trick-L-Start ... it will be the best $50 you will spend. If you don't install one .. use jumper cables between the coach and house batteries for a few hours every week.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
greatscot ...

Do you have the manual for your inverter(/charger)? ... if not go on-line and download it.

If it has the capability to "equalize" your batteries it will tell you how ... on my rig the manual describes how to do that ... it gives the sequence of buttons to push ... and describes the "travelling lights" that will occur while in process.

It takes about 8 hours on our rig ... I need to be plugged into 120 v AC (or run my genset) to accomplish the equalization. I try to do it twice a year.
Is your inverter/charger stock or aftermarket? My 05' has an optional Dimensions 2000w Quasi-Sine inverter/charger and I don't see anything in its manual about equalizing. The main manual says the batteries need to be replaced if they are sulfated.

Tags
battery