Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

I removed the rear speaker on my MH; it says 'ASA Audiovox Specialized Applications, 50W MAX, 4 OHMS'. When I measure it, I come up with 6 3/16". Checking out Crutchfield, I find speakers listed as 6 1/2"; would this be the correct size? The plastic speaker housing that the speaker must fit back into has an inside diameter of 6 3/16".

Anyone replace the OEM speakers and have any recommendations or suggestions? I also want to replace the front ones and am looking for speakers with better mid, high and bass performance.

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #2

I removed the rear speaker on my MH; it says 'ASA Audiovox Specialized Applications, 50W MAX, 4 OHMS'. When I measure it, I come up with 6 3/16". Checking out Crutchfield, I find speakers listed as 6 1/2"; would this be the correct size? The plastic speaker housing that the speaker must fit back into has an inside diameter of 6 3/16".

Anyone replace the OEM speakers and have any recommendations or suggestions? I also want to replace the front ones and am looking for speakers with better mid, high and bass performance.

Thank you,
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, Richard, no experience with that. That gives me a good idea. The factory speakers could use a little help. The woofer in my Tour rattles the wood panel that the propane detector is mounted in. I need to shore that up some...we get a little added sound enhancement on loud movies.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've played in the car stereo world quite a bit...

Its likely that your speakers are the 6 1/2" that you suggest. However, Cruchfield is one of the most expensive ways to buy speakers...go to one of your local shops, bring the speaker with you and they'll make sure you get the right one. They'll also be able to let you LISTEN to the speaker you select.

In my area there are lots of stores that sell this kind of thing. There are a lot of National Chains that do it too. Best Buy and Circuit City are two that I know of.

Take Carnles advice, shop for a sub-woofer, it'll really fill out the sound. If you aren't comfortable with installation, talk to the store, They generally have experienced installers that can locate and install the sub-woofer for you at a pretty reasonable cost.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RocketDork:
I've played in the car stereo world quite a bit...

It's likely that your speakers are the 6 1/2" that you suggest..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello RocketDork;

I did go to Best Buy today with a speaker in hand; it's a 6 1/2". Bought two sets of Pioneer coaxial 3-way speakers (TS-A1672R that were on sale for half price @ $39.95 per set.

Three of the four will mount quite easily but not sure about the front passenger side; it seems to be enclosed behind a metal case that is for the DVD player and inverter. I'm going to post a few pictures and see if anyone has a suggestion on how to get to that speaker...
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Post those pictures...I'm sure we'll be able to help you get that speaker out.

Most speakers come out from the front...I'd be surprised if that's not the case on this one, but you never know...

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #7

Here are two images, one showing the front passenger speaker area and one from underneath. The inverter and DVD player are to the left of the speaker enclosure and the grill-cover can not be removed. There is a metal 'wall' between the DVD player and access to the speaker and access from underneath would be quite a project too, as you would have to drop the T.V. cabinet, curtins, etc.

Anyone here replace this speaker? Their is no problem getting access to the other three speakers...

Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Please post any pictures and instructions to get the passenger speaker out. The speaker channge is high on the list of improvements to my Sightseer 30B. I have the same arrangement in the passenger cabinet as yours.

Thanks for being the pathfinder on this.

Wayne

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sightseer 30B:
Please post any pictures and instructions to get the passenger speaker out. The speaker channge is high on the list of improvements to my Sightseer 30B. I have the same arrangement in the passenger cabinet as yours.

Thanks for being the pathfinder on this.

Wayne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will post progress, though at this point I might have to call Customer Support and see if they can help. So far, it looks like I have to dismantle half the MH just to remove that one speaker! The drivers' side is easy to remove and the rear one's had me fooled at first.

For the rear speakers, don't pull down on the brown PLASTIC speaker surround, as it is screwed into the bottom of the cabinet. The FABRIC speaker grill needs to be removed by simply pulling it off by accessing it with a small screwdriver. It looks like it's all one piece, but in fact it's only the fabric grill, not the surround, that pulls off. Four screws can then be removed to drop the speaker out of its mounting...

UPDATE:

Called Customer support and was told that the easiest way to access the passenger speaker is to remove the inverter and DVD player first. Then, it looks like the metal 'surround' that the inverter and DVD player are in can be removed, allowing access to the right-side of the compartment.

Since this is a bigger project than I had hoped, I'll need to bring the MH home and won't be able to do that for a few days. I will take pictures and post the outcome, good or bad...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard.

When you get done, I would certainly like to know if th esound improvement was worth the effort.

Plan "B" for me was to mount speakers decent little box speakers from the ceiling.

Also entertaining connecting them to the TV output to help that sound as well.

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote