Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my 03 Horizon when we started home today the step well cover would not extend. I am about to dive into the electric schematics but I thought that I would see if anyone out there had a flash of light answer to the problem. When I press the rocker switch nothing happens; no movement, no click, just silence. So far I have found no CBs that are on that line and the other two items controled by switches located on the same panel operate properly. I also have no idea how you would get to the unit itself as it is encased like a bank vault. There may be a phone call to Forest City in my future.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 03 Horizon when we started home today the step well cover would not extend. I am about to dive into the electric schematics but I thought that I would see if anyone out there had a flash of light answer to the problem. When I press the rocker switch nothing happens; no movement, no click, just silence. So far I have found no CBs that are on that line and the other two items controled by switches located on the same panel operate properly. I also have no idea how you would get to the unit itself as it is encased like a bank vault. There may be a phone call to Forest City in my future.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My step well cover doesn't work either but can hear something "clicking" under the floor when the switch is pushed. I too would like to know a fix for this. We use the emergency air switch on the dash to open and close.
Richard
Old 04-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don't know about yours, but on my 2005 Vectra there is a circuit breaker in the left front compartment where the chassis 12v stuff is. (I know because my wife pushed her switch one way while I pushed mine the other way and it popped the breaker.)

On edit, sounds like you have an air-actuated cover, so my experience won't be relevent.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my 02 horizon.I had the same problem, open up the front hatch, looking at the genset, above the genset, and to your right is a 2x2x5inch box. On the side of this box, is a round pin sticking out on each side. push in on this pin, on what side is sticking out. This controls the air, to the step cover. I played with this, and got the step to close, or open. I also had to replace the rocker switch, after doing some playing around with.The control box, if you have to replace, is on the pricey side.
if you releave the air, by pressing in on the pin, you can push the step in, our pull out. WWW.winneabagoparts.com is a real good supplier for parts. Will send you a good diagram to figure out what part you need, nice to be on the same wave length, when ordering a certain part. Will fax you the diagram. Reversing the wires on the rocker switch will tell you what way the step will close. By releaving the air, the step will go either direction. Good luck.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the info. I dug into the problem this afternoon and got the system to operate properly. I have a tempermental rocker switch. It now works as it is supposed to but I may end up putting in a new switch.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Can the stepwell step work without air pressure.? is it electric also?...I don't understand the relationship between air pressure and the rocker switch...thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

In the time frame of coaches we own, Winne used a rocker switch to energize a magnet on the air controller that richierich described. On ours the "slide" of the controller was dirty and did not slide well. Cleaned it and worked it and we were good to go.

Suggest that all of us add the stepwell cover to our list of "must exercise" on a regular basis.