Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
UPDATE:
I was totally wrong. The step cover is NOT air operated, it operates by Vacuum per Camping World/Winnebago. ............
I am surprised that it operates on vacuum rather than air pressure. Does this mean your gen slide works on vacuum too?
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
UPDATE:
I was totally wrong. The step cover is NOT air operated, it operates by Vacuum per Camping World/Winnebago. The problem turned out to be; everything in the cover well was very dirty and blocking easy movement. The technician cleaned out the well and lubricated the needed parts. Apparently part of the problem was the dash heater vacuum stuff, the tech replaced all the valves today too. Step cover now works as designed again.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! Merry Christmas to all!
I love a good ending!!! Have a great Christmas and my God protect you as you travel.

Rick
Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

UPDATE: Long time has passed. I solved the slow cover movement. Some Liquid Wrench dripped into the air lines to the cover lubed the air cylinder, now it moves quickly and locks in place.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
UPDATE: Long time has passed. I solved the slow cover movement. Some Liquid Wrench dripped into the air lines to the cover lubed the air cylinder, now it moves quickly and locks in place.
Well, mei culpa. The step cover and generator slide are operated by air pressure. CW was wrong too.
Adding a few drops of lube really helped. It also uncovered a faulty air pressure regulator-also on the firewall beside the air solenoid. It has been replaced as of last evening, step cover and generator slide work very well.

BTW, the air pressure regulator should be set at 45psi, per revised Winnebago specs.(previously 25psi)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
Ray,

Mine is also slow to move and may be the cold too (in Kentucky right now). I have never lubed mine and not sure how to access to do it. You mentioned sliding the gen set out, is there an access panel for the steps? My gen set is not on a slide but maybe I can get access, just need to know what I'm looking for.

Phil
The genset doesn't have to be moved. The black air lines from the solenoid to the air cylinder may be removed by unscrewing the plastic nut and pulling the air line off the nipple, I had to use a hair dryer to soften the air line on the nipple to get it to slide off the nipple; 4-6 drops of air tool oil in each line(bi-directional cylinder) is best, but I couldn't find mine so used Liquid Wrench instead.
If a picture of the firewall area will help, I'll post one.