Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

starting battery drain

Have recently purchased 2009 Winnebago view. Parked for about 4 weeks while doing interior work, on shore power. Attempted to start. After wait for warm up, dash icons all lit up, beeps sounded, and now key won't turn. Chassis manual indicates discharged engine battery. Am now charging. Is this common? Where is the drain coming from on the battery? Do I need to use the engine battery disconnect? thanks.
oedamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The key won't turn or the engine won't turn over? If my MH is parked for a lengthy time I use the chassis disconnect switch and turn off the power. Depending on the wiring of the the MH, the radio, engine computer etc will draw power but I would be surprised if it killed the battery in 4 weeks unless it is weak to start with...how old is it?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Well, a few general thoughts,

Parasitic battery drain is a fun thing to figure out, will vary model to model. Drains can come from the dash radio remembering stations, in some cases I believe engine components will drain, sometimes the propane detector runs off the engine battery, etc. If you have an engine battery disconnect (versus a house 12v disconnect) then yes that should stop the drain in most cases.

You mention being on shore power. Usually shore power only keeps the house batteries charged, not the engine, unless something like a Trik-L-Start has been installed. This steals a bit of power from the house batteries to keep the engine batteries topped. Standard feature on some new models, many of us have installed similar on ours... a search will give you a lot of info.

As far as going flat in 4 weeks, maybe. Seems a touch fast, may depend on the condition of your engine battery(s), temperature. Might also want to check your battery terminals, ground etc for dirty or loose connections just to cover all bases.

Just my thoughts.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

emiddleb is giving great information on this.

There are many "monitors", alarms, etc that
run off the starter battery.

I traced my problem down to the controller
for the electric steps. Reach under and unplug
it and see what happens.

When at home on shore power I plug a small battery maintainer into the dash power outlet. No more dead batteries.
The best $20.00 have spent at walmarrt.com.

There are also several other threads on this problem.

You are not alone with this problem.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My 2009 had the electric step connected directly to the engine battery. Same problem as yours in 4 weeks or so the starting battery was very low. The disconnect switch did not disengage the step power - guess it was wired that way for safety reasons. I simply moved the power connection to the other side of the switch. Turn off the switch during storage mine has been good for the last several years now.

Winni has great wiring diagrams download yours and check the electric step power source
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are enough "keep alive" current drains to discharge my engine battery in about three weeks. A couple of the items are the engine computer and transmission computer. The drain on mine is about 0.150 amps (150 Ma).

I use a BatteryMinder Plus float charger to keep the engine battery topped off. It will not overcharge the battery even if left on for months. It can be left connected when the engine is running so I wired it in permanently.

To solve the problem, some years ago Winnebago started installing a "Trik-L-Start " on diesel pushers and I think on some gassers in later years.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Just went through same proplbem with my vectra. I used a 10 amp meter between plus battery terminal and battery lead. Had a 3.65 amp draw with everything off. After disconnecting all loads at relay draw would not go away. Uncovered engine and disconnected alternator and draw went away. Diodes tested ok, when alternator was put on load test the alternator made strange noises. Was determined to be a faulty diode tree. The load is now back to around 125 milliamps which is the normal draw. For long stays i also use a battery minder. Gary, 1994 35 vectra 230 hp cummins 5.9
mcstrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstrut View Post
Just went through same proplbem with my vectra. I used a 10 amp meter between plus battery terminal and battery lead. Had a 3.65 amp draw with everything off. After disconnecting all loads at relay draw would not go away. Uncovered engine and disconnected alternator and draw went away. Diodes tested ok, when alternator was put on load test the alternator made strange noises. Was determined to be a faulty diode tree. The load is now back to around 125 milliamps which is the normal draw. For long stays i also use a battery minder. Gary, 1994 35 vectra 230 hp cummins 5.9
Gary,
Nice progressive testing Sir. I'm always interested in how things are found out. I have a question for you. When you say you used a "10 amp meter" for the testing procedure, what exactly is a "10 amp meter"? Do you have a picture, model number, tool part number, brand, what?

One of the main reasons I ask is, I think I've got a fair draw on my house batteries when not in use. And, the reason I say that is because I keep our rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT plugged in 24/7 at home. Now, I've got the Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/charger in that coach, as many do. And, when the house batteries are up, the panel will tell me, "Float" and, it will display, 0-5 amps, on a fluctuating basis.

That is all fine. But, if I unplug the coach for a couple of days, and then plug it back in, the charger in the inverter immediately goes to "Bulk" and the meter shows 45+ amps. It will stay like that for about 1/2 hour, plus or minus, and then convert to "Accept" and be around 15-20 amps. And then, within another hour or so, plus or minus, it will cruise on down to "Float" and say, 0-5 amps, fluctuating between 0 and 5 amps.

What all this is telling me is, there's a draw on those house batteries that's fairly significant. I've checked all over the place and can't find anything left on. Not sure where to go from here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I would assume its simply an ammeter that goes from zero to 10 amps.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Here is another idea...rather than chasing all over the rig for the many devices that could be taking of your battery power with parasitic battery drain issue...consider trying this idea:Battery Tender Junior - Deltran 021-0123 - Battery Accessories - Camping World
I have been using this on my "starting" battery for years now an I have had no problems with a dead starting battery. IF you plugged in shore power for a long time, plug this device into an outlet and hook it to the battery. Works!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Regarding the 10 amp meter.
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive multimeter that has a ten amp measurement capability on a separate input. It will also measure lower currents (300 Ma max?) via the standard input and the selection switch. I buy them on sale for less than $5 and keep several of them around. Some last for years and some not so long.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
emiddleb is giving great information on this.

When at home on shore power I plug a small battery maintainer into the dash power outlet. No more dead batteries.
The best $20.00 have spent at walmarrt.com.
I'm still a newbie and browsing through the threads, but I was wondering if anyone else took this route. Seems there might be quite the parasidic discharge in most of these rigs. I was wondering if I should bother plugging in my 5W panel and perching it in the dash. Sounds like you've had good results with this practice. Think I'll see how it works for me.

Jeremy
IntenseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have used a BatteryMinder Plus float charger for 11 years. It can be left connected permanently and when you are connected to shore power will keep as many as 4 batteries topped off.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I just dropped off my 2010 Suncruiser for an inspection on a Friday and by Monday the battery was dead. I had no trouble starting the rig at home. The shop says the batter is shot. This was the third new battery to far. When ever I am stopped for more than a few days I use the battery disconect. The batterys are NAPPA and have been replaced free. I was wondering if anybody has had a similiar experience.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=oedamer;1788692]Where is the drain coming from on the battery?/QUOTE]

You would be amazed at how many electrical components might be tied into your engine battery... the levelers and slide-outs are two examples that are connected on my Itasca. You might want to consider something simple like a BEP Battery Disconnect switch.

I installed one under the step right in the battery compartment, mounting it to the right-side of the compartment, making it easy to install the bolts and lock-washers by turning in the front wheel. While I used to have a dead battery after letting the motorhome sit for a month or more at a time, I've never had another dead since installing one.

Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tAj8gQfyRHVHABA1IU0Gb9cOUtjGmtFe-aVWhdt10c0.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	49550  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery