Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

... I have been plagued with speaker buzz in the concert surround system's four speakers. As the engine's rpm increases, so does the loudness and frequency of the buzz. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

... I have been plagued with speaker buzz in the concert surround system's four speakers. As the engine's rpm increases, so does the loudness and frequency of the buzz. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 10-21-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Frankie - sounds like 'alternator whine'. If this is the problem, then power supply filtering would solve the problem. Go to Ratshack and tell them you have a radio with alternator whine and you need a filter for the 12V supply. You might have to "shotgun" the fix, i.e., keep trying different cures until you solve the problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I too have alternator whine in my am/fm radio.

What and where to you install this gadget.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It should be placed as close as possible to the radio (or whatever) in/on the 12V positive-negative wires to the device.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I am also getting speaker buzz in my external radio BUT it is not turned on! It appears to be coming from "another source?"
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I solved my speaker buzz by moving the TV Audio Amplifier around; it now resides outside & below the TV enclosure (hanging there in the breeze). The amplifier looks like the size of two 36mm camera film capsules (end-to-end), with a wire from each end. I found it on the right (Pax) side, lower corner of the TV enclosure, closest to the windshield. On mine there is enuf slack wire to move it a bit.

Same occurred on my 2000 Suncruiser 35U.

The above only buzzed the speakers in the TV mode; not the radio/CD mode.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

... I'll try Radio Shack and looking for the device Thudman mentioned I don't know if I mentioned it, but the noise is coming through the speakers when the radio is off as well as on. It was there when I bought the unit this past Spring .. and it was intermittent .. now it is all the time.

If you have any working knowledge on how the radio is removed, I'd appreciate some direction. It looks like I may have to remove the instrument panel. I was hoping it would slide out, but I don't see any unlocking tabs. It is an Audiovox Prestiege Radio.

Thansk for the advice. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 10-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankieJ:
I don't know if I mentioned it, but the noise is coming through the speakers when the radio is off as well as on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That bit of information changes the entire scenario. 12V filtering at the radio won't do you any good.

Do the speakers operate with anything else in the coach, say the TV?

If you have two holes on each side of the radio , and they are 1.5" apart, then you need a "U" shaped tool to push in and release the locking tabs (actually all four at one time. If you do not have this mounting system, then I have no idea how your radio is removed.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

John,

Only the radio is used with the premium sound speakers. The TV speakers are built into the TV. I changed the TV and upgraded it to a 20" flat screen. I think the old 19" TV used speakers built into the cabinetry.

I believe, at one time, there was a switch for cabinetry speakers that would alternate between the TV output or radio, but it never worked.

I'll have to trace the origins of the speaker wires, both built in cabinetry and premium speakers, and see exactly what is what.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep you informed with any discoveries I may make.

FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 10-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The radio is an Audio Vox ... model Prestiege ... P153B. I went on line and Audio Vox had installation and user manuals for downloading and printing. It appears, with the Winne, that this radio is secured from behind the panel. If it were a major car mfg. then there would be a trim face that could be removed which would expose the securing hardware.

I know from reading some owner's upgrades that some of you have removed the instrumentation panel from your Winne. Any pointers? Easy? Difficult? Nightmare?

Thanks.. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

... just wanted to keep you abreast of the "buzz" problem. I called Winnebago and talked to service. They said to check the audio amplifier for the premium sound system, which on my RV is separate from the TV. The amplifier is located on the passenger side, under the dash where the vents are ... they are to the left of where a passenger's left shoe would be and up off the floor about six inches.

Since the amplifier works in amplifying the sound, it may be a cable problem. My first method of attack is to disconnect the amp and see if the "buzz" is still prevalent. If not, then it is the amplifier ... if it is still there .. then the culprit is elsewhere.

I'll keep you informed by posting my findings.

I hate it .. I have this insatiable urge to make things right ... FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 10-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

FrankieJ, this may or may not help but I too had a buzz in my radio speakers. Found the source! (The electric brake controller for the rear tag axle was the culprit). Replaced the controller, even though the old one worked, with a new controller and the buzz is gone. How I found it? Just trial and error disconnecting one thing at a time and listening. Don't have any idea as to why this worked but it did. Best of luck in finding your source.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Fred and Wilma ... rocks to you... be they granit, slate, andstone or quartz. I do not have a toad, but the previous owner did and has a brake controller. I will try to disconnect it to see if it is the root of the problem. thanks for your input. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V