Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Sound uncalled for

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer that really got my attention while in Myrtle Beach last week. We were parked and totally hooked up, and had been so for about 5 days. I had been having a few problems getting my hot water heater to stay on and would get a "Pilot Out" light every so often so I was always listening for the gently rumble sound of the burner when it kicked in. During our morning coffee we heard this amplified rumble similar to a jet engine which definitely got our attention. I quickly turned the power to the water heater, but the rumble continued. I then shut down the furnace, but the rumble continued. As we vacated the MH I noted the rumble was emanating from under the galley sink, but it quit. Kept everyone out of the MH and began a search, emptied the sink cupboard and even open up basement lockers looking for flame, nothing. Nerves settled a little and thinking WTH was that it began again, I pinpointed the origin to be under the sink shelving. I went outside and opened the basement lockers again and noted one more door, the outside entertainment system, opened that door and there it was, An amplified rumble coming from the speakers. Tried to turn them off, but they were off, I have never used the system or even turned them on before, but they were definitely on and couldn't be turned off. I had to remove the shelving under the sink to get to the back of the speakers to unplug them........Silence.....ahhhh.
NOW, what could have caused that particular unnerving event. I checked and the radio and sound system was OFF, even tried tuning it to deserve if I could change the sound but nothing. Tried the On-Off switch and power would come on and off when I turned the switch but the sound stayed constant until both speakers were unplugged. Any ideas or guidance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	53315  
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maybe someone near by had a powerful amplifier cranked up

I have had that happen before in my car radio.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You'll need to figure out what powers the speakers. Maybe a previous owner connected inside TV, radio, CB, to outside speakers. Check also for fluorescent lights, dimmers, etc., that can cause radio interference.
I'd check the water heater burner for spider webs or other restrictions in the burner to see why it keeps malfunctioning. See if the flame is adjusted properly with little to no yellow flame.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Your tv/radio switch in the overhead cabinet is probably in the tv position causing the radio output to be applied through your surround sound system even if the radio is off. Oops! Sorry, I thought you were talking about the floor speakers.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Strange things can happen when a split 12VDC and 120 VAC share a ground (chassis). Because the 12V uses the chassis to return path to the batteries, while the 120V uses the neutral wires as a return path and is connected to the ground at the CG power stand. Opportunity for ground loops IMO.
Are you able to measure any voltage or current on the offending speaker wires?
The signal also could be induced in the speaker wire loop as Ron suggests... from within or external to your coach.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just be aware that you may blow out any amplifier that is running without a load connected to it.

If the sound continues when the outside radio is unplugged from the power leads then it is most likely a ham or cb radio operator who is running a linear amp on an illeagal setup. On the 2000 Adventurer it is just a marine grade radio with a cassette player running on the house batteries in the outside entertainment center with an antenna lead available to plug in a portable TV and nothing that exotic. After almost 14 years it still could be just a failing radio shorting out inside and showing its age.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Thanks all for the reply

After reading some of the posts, I remembered and commented to MW at the time that we would probably get good wi-fi this time because we were directly under the campgrounds antennae which was on a post attached to the power pedestal...... Maybe it wasn't with-fi...Never the less I will check the wires to the speakers and overhead control panel switches. Right now it's fine as it is "Unplugged" As for the advice on the water heater, I did purchase a burner tube cleaning brush, and it was cleaned, and blew out the boiler tube and reset the flame to the most blue I could get, but it still shuts itself off periodically. I also bought a couple of the thermal links that go to the burner overheat cut off which I haven't Replaced yet. Bought those because the water was getting so hot that it almost scalded you coming out of the spigots. I either have a malfunction there or in the thermostat itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	53357  
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Similar happened to me in our previous 03 Adventurer 33V. We were in San Diego, very very humid, and the water evap tray behind refrig had overflowed, water drained down to radio which was below, and hit circuit board. The radio was not extremely load, buzzing like off station, but could not be turned off without unplugging.

I removed radio, and cleaned up the circuit board and all was well.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Unplug the power from the radio and leave the speakers plugged in and if it still makes the noise it is most likely the power being transmitted from the antenna you have mentioned. I would ask to be moved to another site if that is the case as being that close to a transmitting antenna putting out that much signal constantly is not very good for you and poses some potential health risks.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If the radio itself was off, and there is no other "external" amplifier for those speakers then you definitely have something in the MH that is making a lot of electrical noise.

Here is a good quick test to see if it's related to your AC-DC power converter, which in many cases is the root of all evil with problems such as you describe.

Plug the speakers back in. When the sound returns unplug your coach from the shore power. Does the noise still exist? If not then start your generator and let it switch over to generator power. Does the noise return? If not, shut generator down and plug back into shore. Does the noise return?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Note that the water in Atwood water heaters will heat to about 140 degrees by design. If you have one with a mixing valve the temp will reach about 160 degrees.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Similar happened to me in our previous 03 Adventurer 33V. We were in San Diego, very very humid, and the water evap tray behind refrig had overflowed, water drained down to radio which was below, and hit circuit board. The radio was not extremely load, buzzing like off station, but could not be turned off without unplugging.

I removed radio, and cleaned up the circuit board and all was well.
Times Two!!!! Exactly the same thing happened to me last month....some really strange sounds. By the time I got the radio pulled out the circuits were fried & radio was toast.

If you have any water drip into the radio, you can get uncontrollable sounds.